Why is shipping so expensive????

All things not relating to the other forums.
audiocontr
United States of America

Why is shipping so expensive????

Post by audiocontr »

I just purchased a gasket set and 3 small studs, and shipping was over $10. Now i look on ebay and see the same company charging $15.00 for a wing nut!? This is dishonest, plain and simple.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WING-SCREW-FRON ... zN&vxp=mtr
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Why is shipping so expensive????

Post by pcolette »

I've noticed FedEx Ground prices (and UPS) have gone up considerably over the last year and SAV primarily uses FedEx though they are also willing to use USPS. The USPS price on that ebay listing is much lower. I've switched almost entirely to USPS for anything I ship and haven't had a problem plus they provide free boxes.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

audiocontr wrote:I just purchased a gasket set and 3 small studs, and shipping was over $10. Now i look on ebay and see the same company charging $15.00 for a wing nut!? This is dishonest, plain and simple.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WING-SCREW-FRON ... zN&vxp=mtr
Wow, that's cold. :shock:

IIRC, SAV also require tracking on packages. It irks you when you just need one small item, and wish they could just pop it into an envelope and voila! But it's their right to set their policies. Personally, I'm okay with that. I guess it rewards you to plan ahead with orders, and try to avoid that one last thing you forgot or just noticed later.

As far as the wing-nut goes, it's a rare part. Looks like the price is $4.10 for the part and they have a cheaper USPS option for shipping, but it probably varies by the buyer's location. By the way, has anybody else offered to sell and ship one cheaper?

Compare it to prices for parts on a lot of old collectible cars, and it's not at all out of line, IMHO. Plus, many of those older cars are no longer supported by factory parts availability. Try buying parts for your '73 Pantera at the local Ford dealer, and they likely don't even carry parts for the 351C Ford engine. Here's an ad for 2 Pantera dash thumb screws for $29 plus shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEOMASO-PANTERA ... y8&vxp=mtr Four bucks? Meh.

Is it a critical part that you couldn't machine up something to take it's place? Nope, not in my opinion, it's not like a main shaft from a differential. But with the ebay ad, you've at least got another option. You can buy that wing-nut from them or choose not to. I guess I don't consider what they're doing as dishonest.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I'm not saying the price of the wing nut is dishonest. Im saying it does not cost $15 to mail it.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

pcolette wrote:I've noticed FedEx Ground prices (and UPS) have gone up considerably over the last year and SAV primarily uses FedEx though they are also willing to use USPS. The USPS price on that ebay listing is much lower. I've switched almost entirely to USPS for anything I ship and haven't had a problem plus they provide free boxes.
I did not see a usps option. I'll take a look now

$7.95

Maybe im getting old, or spoiled by Amazon Prime :D but I maintain it does not cost this much to ship a wing nut
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

USPS to Kanada for the wing nut is only $38 ($49 cdn) :)
I pay insane rates all the time (except with forum members!!)
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

audiocontr wrote:Maybe im getting old, or spoiled by Amazon Prime :D but I maintain it does not cost this much to ship a wing nut
And you try and tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo