710M Gas Pedal Foot, Leg Pain

All things not relating to the other forums.
bbolander
United States of America

710M Gas Pedal Foot, Leg Pain

Post by bbolander »

Didn't find anything searching. Last week was our first extended drives with our 710M. Both my Brother and I had discomfort and some pain in our foot and right leg from operating the gas pedal. Seems like the heel on the floor and foot angled up and out is the cause. Since it happened to both of us, it must have happened to lots of folks.

We're thinking of a block on the floor to raise the heel up.

Anyone have this experience, and a solution?
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: 710M Gas Pedal Foot, Leg Pain

Post by 4x4Pinz »

never heard anyone complain about that before. We put thousands of miles on our trucks and that complaint has never been raised. Are you running stock seats?
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

4x4Pinz wrote:never heard anyone complain about that before. We put thousands of miles on our trucks and that complaint has never been raised. Are you running stock seats?
Yes, we're running stock seats. I have a bad right foot and leg anyway and thought that might be it, but my Brother had the same problem. Maybe he does too. He's had the problem on other old trucks and rolls up a jacket to put it underneath his leg.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

will be interesting to see if anyone else has this issue. I could not drive my truck very long if I had to use the stock seats. i found them to be terribly uncomfortable. I know some drivers report them to be comfortable for them and spend a little time sitting in them. I can not think of any of the AZ guys running stock seats so that could explain the lack of leg issues. We have a large range of heights and weights in our drivers.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I agree with 4x4Pinz, I couldn't live with the stock seats. Several possible aftermarket options out there; my 712W has Eagle Talon seats (took a bit of modification) and our 710M has (I believe) Toyota Celica seats. I can comfortably drive all day with either of these; an hour on the stock seats and I was uncomfortable.

Maybe the rest of us are pigeon toed, but I actually LIKE having the angled out foot on the gas. But it all may have to do with the comfort and support of the seat.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have not had any issue like that
Pinz with non-stock seats
Hafi all stock (same gas pedal)
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

16 years , 4 different Pinzes with 3 different stock seats and a Haffy...

Me thinkith you're doing a unnatural act and trying to use your whole foot pigeon toed on the pedal.. you should have your heal on the floor board and your toes where they feel comfortable on the pedal.

Remember these were designed for soldiers with boots. :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I tend to get some numbness/mild pain in the ball of my right heel which tends to come and go for no reason after a few hours driving, whenever I drive for extended periods of time, and regardless of the vehicle. So in my case I don't think it is Pinz-related. Actually, with the more upright driving position in the Pinz, I believe I have it less often in the Pinz than in passenger cars... and always limited to the heel. It is not really painful, just annoying, and ignoring it is the usual course of action when it happens.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

David Dunn wrote: Remember these were designed for soldiers with boots. :wink:
I started wearing boots and it seems to help. Maybe the taller heel helps with my leg length.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

My gas pedal causes my leg to cramp up when I'm using the Pinz for extended periods as well... but I'm 6'-7" tall and have grown accustomed to being uncomfortable in vehicles. I have the stock seats as I'm thinking anything else will have a taller seat bottom and I don't have any spare room above my head.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

finding the correct "aftermarket" seat and mounting it correctly can actually lower the seat height and allow one to sit/lean back more giving more head room. The problem I find is that people still want the seat to adjust forward and reverse, this alone causes issues with seat selection. Take into account how many different drivers actually drive your pinz for any length of time and then decide from there. In my case I drive my truck 99% of the time and I will make it comfortable for me. If the other drivers want more comfort they can buy their own pinz. :lol:
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

4x4Pinz wrote:finding the correct "aftermarket" seat and mounting it correctly can actually lower the seat height and allow one to sit/lean back more giving more head room. The problem I find is that people still want the seat to adjust forward and reverse, this alone causes issues with seat selection. Take into account how many different drivers actually drive your pinz for any length of time and then decide from there. In my case I drive my truck 99% of the time and I will make it comfortable for me. If the other drivers want more comfort they can buy their own pinz. :lol:
+1 that's exactly how I think.. I have Mastercraft Baja RS seats that don't adjust and they sit nice and low and allow for the seat back to adjust to a great angle. Very comfortable seat. I've spent 8 solid hours in that seat with only brief breaks and no fatigue...
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

GadgetPhreak wrote:
4x4Pinz wrote:finding the correct "aftermarket" seat and mounting it correctly can actually lower the seat height and allow one to sit/lean back more giving more head room. The problem I find is that people still want the seat to adjust forward and reverse, this alone causes issues with seat selection. Take into account how many different drivers actually drive your pinz for any length of time and then decide from there. In my case I drive my truck 99% of the time and I will make it comfortable for me. If the other drivers want more comfort they can buy their own pinz. :lol:
+1 that's exactly how I think.. I have Mastercraft Baja RS seats that don't adjust and they sit nice and low and allow for the seat back to adjust to a great angle. Very comfortable seat. I've spent 8 solid hours in that seat with only brief breaks and no fatigue...
I looked at those, aren't they a little wide to fit? What did you use to attach them to the floor?
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

4x4Pinz wrote: I drive my truck 99% of the time and I will make it comfortable for me. If the other drivers want more comfort they can buy their own pinz. :lol:

Double plus Hear, Hear!!
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist