Centre of Gravity

All things not relating to the other forums.
63rover
Canada

Centre of Gravity

Post by 63rover »

Many articles rave about the low centre of gravity of the Pinzgauer. Many members here complain about the high centre of gravity. I am trying to find out the static (stationary) centre of gravity of a stock 710m. How far back and how far up?

If anyone can explain how to calculate it that would be a great bonus too!

Cheers, Clive
NEWFISHER

Re: Centre of Gravity

Post by NEWFISHER »

I did search a little here and didn't find the drawings I had remembered indicating center of gravity, but found this for a good read;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9211&hilit=CENTER+O ... TY&start=0
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I thought I once read that the factory rated a 710M at something like a 43 degree side slope; but it did not specify loaded or empty. The link that NewFisher posted probably has all the info you would really need to know.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Thanks. This is certainly a good start, I am planning my travel setup and that is why I am interested in the centre of gravity. I plan to keep the heavy items low of course and with the 710m it seems that more weight near the rear is better. I was just hoping to work with as much info as possible.

Thanks again.

Clive
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Fill your rear bumperettes with lead shot
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

TechMOGogy wrote:Fill your rear bumperettes with lead shot
hmmm, my truck is nose heavy. Wonder if this is heavy enough to weight it down a bit
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I posted this somewhere before :| The key parameter is Static Stability Factor.
Anything greater than 1.0 is goodness. Last time I calculated this for a 710
it was slightly below 1.0. That was based on a Track width of 57" and a Tip
angle of 43 degrees. That calculates to a CG at 2.5'. For comparison, a
Jeep Wrangler SSF=1.2 so we are a bit tipsy. If you are running with wider
8" wheels, that effectively adds +3" to track width and gets SSF to 1.05.

We are nose heavy, I always get nervous going down steep grades with
deep pot holes.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

63Rover
I am assuming what you want is the "center of gravity" point of the 710M which is the meeting point of the X,Y axis.

I don't remember seeing one for the gas Pinzgauer, but MoD 716M /718Ms do have the CoG marked for unloaded and loaded position (fore/aft)
For the distance from the ground, I'd imagine it would be fairly close to the central tube height, but doubt it would be any higher than the cargo floor.

The longitudinal CoG may be considered bad on a Pinz by some because of the high ground clearance and narrow track.The TDs have a little wider track to improve the side stability.

The Humvee has a great side stability because of it's wide track... but people still are able to roll them. :roll:
Attachments
Pinzgauer-4x4-01 cog.jpg
Pinzgauer-4x4-01 cog.jpg (91.23 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

For a vehicle of its type - a medium forward control the Pinz has a high centre of gravity - while the portals give great ground clearance the tradeoff is a higher CofG and a little loss of stability. I doesn't have a Pinz but I do have a Haflinger on 26" tyres so have that tippy feeling often.

I also have a Landrover 101FC - just a little bigger than a Pinz with a big heavy chassis low down and no portals so diffs and axles down low - these have the Cof G marked on the chassis. I have been away 4wding with a couple of Pinz, a normal Landrover Discovery, a Hum Vee, a couple of other "normal" 4wds and my 101. The Pinz excelled in most areas but its real failing was when sideways on steel slopes - always a dangerous position to be in any 4wd but was noticeable in the Pinz followed by my 101 - the best was the big fat Hum Vee.

In all other aspects the FC 101 and the Pinz (even the Haflinger) were similar with their forward control format - lift wheels, try to tip if a front wheel drops in a hole when going down a steep hill.

The trick is to know your vehicle and understand what it will do in various circumstances. I try not to go anywhere nears side slopes in the Haflinger and in both it and the 101 do not like downhill with holes that the front wheels can drop into.

On my 101 I have put wider wheels on it that are offset further out and this has enhanced stability and on the Haflinger while I have larger diameter wheels that lift it higher they are 6" wide and are offset out a bit so stability is improved - in this respect having swing axles on the Pinz and Haflinger does not help cross slope stability as the wheels can roll under a bit where on the 101 with beam axles this does not happen - but as said what is an advantage in one situation is a disadvantage in another.

So - understand the Pinz does have a high CofG - load and drive accordingly - and as mentioned if possible widen the track with mod wheels to help.

Good luck but in reality in day to day use not such a big issue.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Top of the tube is 22" from ground. Track width 57". If CoG were at 22" tip angle would be 52.5 degrees, or a reduction in
pucker factor by at least 50% :P

Assuming more like 45 degrees that does get CoG just above the lower floor. A "K" would be higher than an "M".
I don't know what the track width of a Diesel Pinz would be, assuming +4" or 61" that would be a 7% improvement overall,
or to 47 degrees of tip.

No matter how you look at it, we are tipsy :wink: Better to know the limitations than push your luck.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q