Using the Harbor Freight Solar panel to charge pinz?

All things not relating to the other forums.
audiocontr
United States of America

Using the Harbor Freight Solar panel to charge pinz?

Post by audiocontr »

Will this little bad boy keep the battery up to spec while my truck sits for weeks? https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Watt-S ... 68692.html What happens when the battery is full? Will it cook a battery?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Sonarman
United States of America

Re: Using the Harbor Freight Solar panel to charge pinz?

Post by Sonarman »

I would not chance the voltage regulation on that charger to leave it connected weeks at a time.
I know from experience that these will
https://www.pulsetech.net/sp-2-solarpul ... -watt.html

I have used them for years. More money initially but you only need to fry /overcharge one battery and then you will be glad you spent the money on it.
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

Is this for the 24 volt system or a 12 volt aux system? I bought this for my 24 volt system 2 years ago and has worked well. https://expedition-imports.com/IS-24-L

"Selected as a Top Product by Automotive Business and Construction Equipment magazine, the Industrial 24-Volt Solargizer battery maintenance system works with all 24 volt lead acid battery systems and is designed to ensure maximum battery performance.This unit is ideal for virtually any kind of vehicle or equipment that is used frequently or stored for extended periods of time. This includes military trucks, farm equipment, generators, and much more. It comes with lugs that connect directly to the battery terminals.

The Solargizer is a proven, solar powered device designed to help batteries charge faster and provide maximum performance and power. This patented unit uses revolutionary ReNew-IT Pulse Technology™ to safely prevent the main cause of battery problems and failure: sulfation buildup on lead-acid battery plates. Used extensively by the consumers and the U.S. Military worldwide for almost ten years, this technology has been scientifically proven by two major universities to make batteries work harder and last longer than you ever thought possible."
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Thank you!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

BobbyD,

Where and how did you mount this?

Thanks
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

City trucks, ambulances and the like hide them on top. Since my 710k is all canvas, I found a spot on the front of the nose, port side, just under the windscreen. You can find my "build" and images here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6456&p=46003#p46003.

GADS! This was way back in July 2011. So, this thing has been on for almost 6 years.... same batteries.

Another upgrade I highly recommend is to replace the starter. The new one is way lighter and has much more torque. https://expedition-imports.com/PZGRST
Attachments
my pinz .jpg
my pinz .jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3319 times
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Top of the 710M antenna mount would be a great spot for that little 24v charger!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

TechMOGogy wrote:Top of the 710M antenna mount would be a great spot for that little 24v charger!
Just don't forget to wipe it off every once and a while.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

For AGM and flooded lead acid cells, it is common to see float voltage currents in the range of 1-2mA per AHr of battery capacity. For the stock flooded Pinz batteries, 100 to 200mA (0.10 to 0.20 amps) is an acceptable, continuous "float" current that won't damage the batteries.

For a single "24V" solar panel, you would look for something between 2.4W (24V * 0.10A) and about 5W maximum. These could be left on indefinitely, but because we only have sun about 1/2 the time they work very well at topping off the batteries without excessively overcharging them. Because a 2.4. to 5W panel will only put out 100-200mA (regardless of battery voltage) they can be connected directly to the batteries without needing any kind of charge controller. However, any larger panel (higher than 5W) will probably require a charge controller to prevent damage to the batteries from overcharging.

The Harbor Freight unit, at 1.5W, will be OK to hook directly to the batteries without concern, however it may not have enough amps to really help. You would need to check the battery voltage during full sun after many days of getting the batteries "topped off", if the batteries are getting to at least 27V but not more than 29V then it is doing a good job. Any higher than 29V is too high. For the $12 cost, buy two and put them in parallel if needed!
Jim M.
712W and 710M