bad gas... quick fix

All things not relating to the other forums.
Merrick
United States of America

bad gas... quick fix

Post by Merrick »

Hi all,

Last Sunday I was headed back down from Barnwell back to Houston and started to get some weirdness with the engine power in my 712. In short, it didn't feel smooth but I thought I was just getting buffeted by the gusty wind. Things got worse and power went lag-surge and then a thump, then some rapid lag-surges & thumps every 30 or 40 min... then every 15 or so only lag-surge-backfire. Backing RPM down to 3500 seemed to mitigate things for awhile but it returned after 30 minutes. So this was beyond annoyance but not quite ridiculous enough to stop and have the truck towed or trailered. So in some prior conversations with Andre, he had told me to try dumping in a pint of isopropyl alcohol in the tank if I thought there was a water condensation issue... or bad gas. So what the heck. I happened to have some 70% in my med kit and I thought I'd try it... though I really doubted the effect it would have on 15 or 20 gallons of gas... and I was wrong. The beneficial effect was almost immediate. The engine ran Much smoother with only a few rapid backfires over the next hour until we stopped at a Love's and I put 15 gal of 93 in it.

Leaving Barnwell I had filled up in Pittsburgh at an Exxon on medium grade gas, putting 15 gal in the 30 gal tank. It was an Exxon with a Subway in it, looked a bit mom & pop but seemed decent enough but I guess ya never know.

Needless to say, along with tools some PB blaster, WD 40 and a jump box I'll be adding a Costco two pack of isopropyl alcohol to my road kit.

thanks Andre, Merrick
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: bad gas... quick fix

Post by TechMOGogy »

Good tip to know!
Thx
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Every year I run my Pinz as low on gas that I can, then drain the tank. I waste a gallon of gas but have never had a fuel issue in 15 years.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Why did you put 93 in it?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

While 70% Isopropyl can absorb moisture, the remaining 30% IS water. You would be better off with 100% alcohol from a paint or hardware store for storing in case of future need. Also, "HEET" which is usually available in auto parts stores (especially in the colder climates) is something like 99% methanol, and is already packaged and sealed for storage.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Merrick
United States of America

Post by Merrick »

70% is what I had on hand. I planned to carry 90% but will look for the HEET- thanks, m
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Glad everything worked out. Just out of curiosity, how long do that trip take?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-1972 710M
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

The cheapest solution I have found is Methyl Hydrate from the paint department. It is what gas-line antifreeze is. A gallon costs about the same as a small 1 cup g-l antifreeze bottle.
Merrick
United States of America

Post by Merrick »

I actually went up to get Andre to check on a few things up in Mount Pleasant first- the trip between Houston and there was about 240 miles... with stops and running about 55 to 60 mph the trip took a bit more than 5 hours with stops. Peddle to the metal the 712 slowed to ~45 going up some of the steep hills around Gladewater.

Houston to Barnwell would have been ~210miles.