Would You Purchase A Brand New Air Cooled Pinz?

All things not relating to the other forums.
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Would You Purchase A Brand New Air Cooled Pinz?

Post by nicholastanguma »

If you could purchase a brand new Pinzgauer 710m or 712m, meaning brand-new-out-of-the-factory, not refurbished or restored, would you do it?

Let's say each truck still had dual carbies, but was upgraded with a blueprinted 2.7 liter engine, six speed transmission, power disc brakes and an electronic ignition, a super high quality insulated soft top, jeep-style soft upper doors, LED lighting all around, and modern laminated safety glass for the windscreen, plus one of those rad electric power steering add-ons that Scott at Expedition Imports has for sale. Basically still a neanderthal-simple air cooled Pinz, but factory equipped with all the cool upgrades we see discussed here on the forum.

Do you think the general buying public in the 4x4 market would purchase them, or do most of those people really only care about electronic fuel injection, one million watt sound systems, and power windows?

Let's say out-the-door price was, um, maybe 50K USD.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Would You Purchase A Brand New Air Cooled Pinz?

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I think it would need to be electric with 400+ mile range, or a cutting-edge TDiesel. The days of new cars that get MPG in the teens are, or will soon be, over.

Why ask, are you about to invest millions in a Pinz reman business?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

nicholastanguma
United States of America

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:05 am Why ask, are you about to invest millions in a Pinz reman business?

No, although I can't pretend the idea hasn't crossed my mind several times in the past... :wink:

These days there seems to me an ever-widening chasm between folks that like ancient DIY-friendly auto and moto technology, you know, stuff that they don't have to visit a dealer to maintain or even repair; and the larger majority that has never known anything but EFI, power everything, plastic everything, electronically controlled everything, you know, stuff that only a dealership or shop with the codes and software and overly complex equipment can maintain or repair.

Basically, overlanders with eyes for old Royal Enfields and Pinzgauers, and "overlanders" with eyes for BMW GS 1200s and Instagram Jeep JKs. :roll:
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Think you be better of using the TD pinz platform....meaning upgrade the p93 pinzgauers by using a upgrade engine and gearbox....all the other goodies are already there....powersteering, discbrakes... :roll:
Only Thing That would make this succesful would be the sellingprice, keep in mind That only 211 civillian TD pinzgauers were sold.....i think the sellingprice of around 125.000 Euro's had something to do with That :mrgreen:
off-road until i die
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I agree with the TD platform concept. The need for better highway speeds and fuel economy are better achieved with a tuned, turbo diesel. My other option for power plant would be a super efficient Diesel/electric drive system. It works for locomotives pulling heavy weights at Hwy speeds.
Most important upgrade would be leak free door glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have exactly what you described in your 1st post except mine has EFI.
A brand new 710M Pinz with every available upgrade plus some custom built/reinforced addons
1st $50k would take it
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Lewis
Great Britain

Post by Lewis »

I think you'd have to go the full fuel injection, closed loop cat etc as I'm sure most countries have strict emission controls on new vehicles.... fantasized about squeezing a Cummins crate motor in mine 🤔😍
1982 710K ex-Bosnian Radio car
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

No
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

You mean, "for off-road purposes"?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

audiocontr wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:44 amYou mean, "for off-road purposes"?
NHTSA has already published a letter of interpretation which states that a Pinzgauer is a "Motor Vehicle" capable of operating on highways. As such, it cannot be imported into (nor manufactured in) the United States as an "off-road only" vehicle.

So to my knowledge, a "brand new Pinz" would have to meet current-year FMVSS requirements and EPA standards applicable to an automobile, regardless of whether you would be operating on- or off-road.

I don't really see that happening.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

^exactly
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Hmmm, okay then.

For the sake of hypothesis only, let's say these were original air cooled Pinzies; but offered with all the upgrades aforementioned: disc brakes, power steering, blueprinted 2.7 engine, safety glass, etc, etc, and the factory had stocks of each and every part needed for maintenance and repair, plus a complete and illustrated manual as detailed as anything the factory itself would use, a manual on the level of a Haynes or Chiltons.

And perhaps the price was much lower, too; if the out-the-door price was lowered to 30,000 USD, would this be a commercially viable vehicle, I wonder?
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Well the aircoold ones are fun to drive and i even feel That they are better off road Than the TD 's....but 30000 $ for all those upgrades including the pinz ....are you getting them for free :((
off-road until i die
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

nicholastanguma wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:38 pm Hmmm, okay then.

For the sake of hypothesis only, let's say these were original air cooled Pinzies; but offered with all the upgrades aforementioned: disc brakes, power steering, blueprinted 2.7 engine, safety glass, etc, etc, and the factory had stocks of each and every part needed for maintenance and repair, plus a complete and illustrated manual as detailed as anything the factory itself would use, a manual on the level of a Haynes or Chiltons.

And perhaps the price was much lower, too; if the out-the-door price was lowered to 30,000 USD, would this be a commercially viable vehicle, I wonder?
Well, from a TOTALLY theoretical standpoint, yes,I think a vehicle as you describe would be worth $30,000 USD.

BUT...
...I highly doubt you could get such a vehicle imported into the U.S. The feds got all over the Land Rovers for a similar reason. If you change the vehicle too much, you are no longer exempted from FMVSS compliance. https://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seiz ... 1605985758

It might work if you could get them imported first, then do those upgrades stateside. But with a 25% tariff on imported antique automobile components, I'm afraid you'd never do all that for $30k.

Besides, if it were possible, I think someone like Scott Ingham would already have done it.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Not sure where this is going?
If just a dream wish list then you may want to add 120kph top speed, air conditioning, hardtop/softtop swapable options, etc
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker