Very Sad News to Report

All things not relating to the other forums.
Bruce Berger

Very Sad News to Report

Post by Bruce Berger »

Many of you knew Jim Mettler who frequently contributed to this forum. He passed away last Friday following his bout with cancer.

I think of any other individual who had such an impact on my life for the last 15 years. I was somewhat interested in Pinzgauers and was taking about them with friends over dinner at the Riverside Telescope Makers conference near Big Bear, California when Jim happened to drive up I his W and parked next to us.

If it wasn't for that chance meeting I may have never got a Pinzgauer, got into the off road hobby, met many interesting people, and had many memorable off road trips.

It's not often that you randomly meet someone with so many of the same eclectic interests of Pinzgauers, astronomy, music, electric vehicles, racing, etc.

Jim will certainly be missed by many in the Pinzgauer community.

Bruce Berger
Tehachapi, CA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Very Sad News to Report

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Just heard the news, which made for a very dark night here. It was hard seeing Jim looking frail and without his usual beard but he was still in good spirits and charging on, seemingly without too much worry. He had a fun time making the short video we did together and spent most of the time smiling and talking about his truck and the stars, which is how I'll always remember him.
Attachments
Jim.jpg
Jim.jpg (119.33 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Very sad to hear. Never met Jim, but always looked forward to his knowledge and assistance on the forum.
1972 710m
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

We've lost a true renaissance man. Self taught and respected in several fields and social circles. We met ages ago when I was a fabricator for the ill fated SoCal Pinzgauers. Our common interests and odd sense of humor gave birth to a great friendship. We shared many meals, and laughs, as our children did the same in the wilds of Baja Mexico. My most sincere condolences to my extended family and our loss. He was a brother and friend.

"and with the help of this sturdy stick" we will keep him in our memories forever.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Very sad news and will be thinking of his family.
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

My condolences to his family and many friends. I only knew him from the forum but was always impressed with his knowledge and willingness to help wherever he could.
Rest In Peace...
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Terrible news. I heard about Jim's illness during the Idyllwild fires and evacuations this past July.

He responded in the typical Jim way, "Hey I have cancer, but going to give it one heck of a fight".

First meet Jim at Mogfest a number of years ago. Became friends, and would have great discussions
about Engineering problems. Exceedingly smart guy, and a real gentleman. I'll miss him sorely.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Wow, very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Jim was a wealth of knowledge. He personally helped me many times with issues I was having and was always willing to go above and beyond what was called for and always had patience with us on the forum.

He will be missed.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Jim will be missed... :(

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

I've only made a few posts to this forum since taking ownership of my first Pinzgauer, but I've spent a lot of time reading over the posts and have read and re-read many things written by Jim.

I never knew the man and I'm sorry I never got a chance to. My condolences to his family and friends.

I'm sure I'll still continue to use his knowledge that is parsed throughout this forum and will certainly donate again and again to this site to help ensure his contribtuitons to this communtiy continue to live on.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Can we dedicate the Electrical section to him? Just a little note below the section with something like "Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim M"?
Last edited by audiocontr on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

audiocontr wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am Can we dedicate the Electrical section to him? Just a little note below the section with something like "Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim W"?
Great idea!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker