Best Book for Amateur Radio Technician license

All things not relating to the other forums.
Derrickbwg
United States of America

Best Book for Amateur Radio Technician license

Post by Derrickbwg »

I got interested in amateur radio (from you guys) and decided to get the technicians license. There are plenty of practice exam sites and after a few attempts and before reading anything on the topic, I managed to get passing scores. The problem is all I am learning are the answers to the test, I can tell you the answer is "c" but I have no idea why lol

Any suggestions on a book/material that can give me some knowledge on the subject so I'll actually understand what I'm doing? There are tons of books out there...just looking for advice on which one/ones to buy. Im a complete neophyte with electronics so something between "ham for dummies" and "mathematics of radio engineering" would be great!
1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
edzz
United States of America

Re: Best Book for Amateur Radio Technician license

Post by edzz »

ARRL Handbook.

Find a local club, attend a meeting and ask questions, you will likely be offered all the information you need.
https://w4am.net/
Just ask for Elmer. :lol:

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I started out very young with electronics and radios/Ham and then later took electronics in our regional tech-school, along with normal school classes, but one of the most helpful books during all of that was available at Radio Shack, back when it was cool and full of resources. I'm sure some version exist now. They were called the Engineers Mini Notebook by Forrest Mims. Learn OHM's law along with all the other stuff in these books before anything else, and you can move into Ham stuff (and auto electronics) so much more easily.

Link to one: https://archive.org/details/Forrest_Mim ... k/page/n13
Attachments
Forrest Mims-Engineer's Mini-Notebook Formulas Tables Basic Circuits (Radio Shack Electronics)_0000.jpg
Forrest Mims-Engineer's Mini-Notebook Formulas Tables Basic Circuits (Radio Shack Electronics)_0000.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Derrickbwg
United States of America

Post by Derrickbwg »

I appreciate the heads up on the local club, I will join as an associate member and attend the next meeting.

Vince, I found the book for $14 and ordered a copy.....Thanks!
1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

I am a bit tardy to this discussion. Life gets busy so I have not been on the forum for a while. I had the same problem of being able to memorize all of the answers using the online study tests/flash cards and a good recall of past physics classes but I did not really obtain a basic understanding of amateur radio behind those answers. I found the free online study guides by Dan Romanchik, KB6NU, to be very helpful. He uses an explanatory narrative with test answers embedded.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

A book one of the local HAM clubs here recommended to me was "Now you're Talking". The clubs have been a big help though I have not yet attempted getting a license. Not enough interest in our local pinz club to make it worth my time since all I would be using for is communications between pinz trucks. Currently CB works good enough when on the trails around here but something better would be nice.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Gordon West Technician Class Manual • Covers FCC Question Pool Effective July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2022 for FCC Examination
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now