New off-road GPS coming

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

New off-road GPS coming

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

There's been a couple of attempts with the Montana Topo being the only one I liked and own. This looks like a whole new game, from Garmin. It's saying a month or so out right now. Not cheap at around $600-700. The maps and magnet mount look very nice so far.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/overlander/
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

rmel
United States of America

Re: New off-road GPS coming

Post by rmel »

I’m no fan of the “commercial” GPS solutions. I’ve rolled my own with
3’rd party navigation software packages that run on OSX or Windows.
Then build a hardware platform around the software to my liking. This
gives you the flexibility on the the size of the display, computer, and storage
needed. Above all you ain’t locked into Garmin's restrictions on what tracks
you can import or export and choices of maps.

On my 710 I run a Nav pkg called Routebuddy on a Macmini piped forward
to a display. I have a Globalsat GPS receiver on the roof which connects to the
Mac over USB. This software is still available but I don’t see a lot of development
going on anymore, last update was years ago. So I am right now in the process of
upgrading my Nav for both my 710 and 712 to “Memory-Map” running on a
Microsoft surface Go. I will also install a android emulator to run so I can run Gaiagps.
Both of these SW packages have a lot of choices on maps and imports which I find
vastly more useful, more flexible, and less expensive than the commercial offerings.

If you want a quick and dirty solution, it would be Gaiagps running on a iPad, iPhone,
or Android. The limitation I find with this is the built in GPS receivers which are
rather limited. As far as GPS limitations, this is why I have a industrial strength GPS
receiver on the roof of my trucks. They will tease out at least 3 sat's almost always
no matter where you are. You can augment Gaiagps with an external GPS on some
devices.

My approach is not plug and play and needs a wee bit of computer savvy but it's well
worth the effort.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Re: New off-road GPS coming (Garmin Overlander)

Post by ChickenPinz »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 pm There's been a couple of attempts with the Montana Topo being the only one I liked and own. This looks like a whole new game, from Garmin. It's saying a month or so out right now. Not cheap at around $600-700. The maps and magnet mount look very nice so far.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/overlander/
Anyone tried these out yet?

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Overlande ... ics&sr=1-1
Derrickbwg
United States of America

Post by Derrickbwg »

Ive been looking at it....really like that it pairs with the inreach and the case. Ive really been enjoying the magellan trx7. I used it in the Pinz then moved it over to a ktm 500 exc because the offroad features are much better than my garmin montana 650 or the zuomo 525. Garmin sure is proud of there stuff price wise :shock: but its always quality stuff.
1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I've seen mixed reviews so far on this thing. I have to endorse the Montana 680t even more because lately I've been using it a lot and was reminded. The fact that I can take it off the charger/mount in one second and take it hiking is a big deal. I added detailed street maps with a memory card in one second. The size allows it to fit in a lot more places than these big ones. Taking a pic with the built in camera and storing that along with the campsite marker is great stuff. Rugged and water resistant. I pop it off the mount and hide it when I park to keep thieves from getting interest. The list goes on.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!