Pinz values

All things not relating to the other forums.
Jeffn
United States of America

Pinz values

Post by Jeffn »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I just ran across a one owner (after the military of course) pinz 710m that hasn't been started in a year, probably not driven for at least two. The emergency brake is off, presumably because it was dragging. The right rear wheel has a brake leak (and brakes for that reason don't work), I believe it's a bad cylinder. Muffler is rusted through. Canvas over the cab has a large hole. The rear canvas has been stored inside, presumably in decent shape. It appears to be complete including took kit, etc. Surface rust in a number of places. A couple of small holes rusted through, one large one in the floor behind the passenger seat. Questions are:
-Assuming I get the brakes sorted, replace the muffler, and it runs well, what's a 710m with some rust and other cosmetic issues worth?
-How much work is it to replace wheel cylinders? Are replacement cylinders available or will I have to sleeve the existing one?
-Does having the emergency brake assembly off create an opportunity for water and dirt to get into the rear axle or is it independently sealed?
-What other things should I be looking at/asking about?
Thanks for the help!
Texas710
United States of America

Re: Pinz values

Post by Texas710 »

You've got a lot to unpack in that post. Hard to tell a value without seeing some pictures and a little more detail.

A 710M can go anywhere from 5k to around 18k, depending on issues and condition. Most everything can be replaced, parts can be sourced. That said, this is not a cheap truck to get parts for, and while there are aftermarket parts available, most are pinz specific and you're going to pay a premium for it. Not to mention finding a mechanic to help if you are not able to do the repairs.

The rust is most concerning to me, muffler rusted through, small holes in the body. These trucks can hide a lot of rust in spots if you know what to look for and finding out you need to replace the body is not going to be fun. So, by all means pick the old girl up, sounds like she needs rescuing, but buyer beware. Plus, not running in 2+ years? Why? can it start? lots of potential gremlins.

This is one of the best pre purchase checklist I have seen.

http://madscientisthut.com/sdp-pin/html ... klist.html