Questions - new to Pinzgauer - about to maybe purchase 710K

All things not relating to the other forums.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Questions - new to Pinzgauer - about to maybe purchase 710K

Post by Jim Molloy »

JungleJudah,
There is no doubt whatsoever that Pinzgauers are beautifully engineered trucks. Have you ever considered the Volvo C303/304/306 series trucks? Current availability appears to be healthy as are replacement parts. The original B30A six cylinder powerplant produces 117hp which is adequate for my needs but this can easily be increased as the same type engine was used in the Volvo 164 sedans and as the Volvo Penta AQ165 and AQ170 marine engines. There are many owners choosing to repower their Volvos with very reliable and economical Mercedes 5 and 6 cylinder turbo-diesel sedan motors. More than a decade ago, we were given a non-functional 1977 TGB1314A so we swapped a Mercedes OM617A turbo-diesel replacing a very dead long hydrolocked B30A. Very simple and tidy exchange. A couple firms in Europe and Malaysia are making a variety of faster R&P sets for those will to exchange higher top speed for loss of lower speed off road capability. With that said, the thought of driving a boxy Pinzgauer or Volvo TGB or Land Rover FC101 on tall tires with a short wheelbase may be very attractive, the reality of short wheelbase/tall tires/narrow stance and high center of gravity and SPEED beyond original design parameters is asking for trouble.

Recently, I purchased my fourth Volvo TGB truck. This one is a 1975 TGB1314A 6x6 ambulance with a documented 4,400 miles on the clock and accompanying Swedish army log book. I happily cruise down the local highways on a daily basis at 54-55 mph staying within the original design specs of this truck. Lots of smiles as waves and thumbs up gestures from those with whom I share the road. I have ZERO need to go faster. You might just want to poke your head into the Volvo sections of this board and see what there is to offer. There are several very strong Facebook pages as well as other information sources. One of my long term favorites is: https://www.c303.de/c303-en/index.htm

Best wishes on your search.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
JungleJudah
United States of America

Post by JungleJudah »

Thank you very much for all the valuable feedback.
So yesterday I finalized my decision and purchased a 710M from Andre at Fat Fabrications.

Just before completing purchase with Andre, he posted on his facebook someone else selling a 716; I called the owner and considered it, but realize as a first time Pinz owner, may be better to start off with a 710M and see how much I really like it before much larger investment of 716 (although when/if I'm ready to purchase 716, likely won't be able to find one for sale!), and seemed primary benefit of 716 is higher speed as I indicated major interest in this forum - but driving the 710M at 50s mph already felt plenty fast enough! Andre said he can replace my transmission with a high speed transmission, so I may decide to do that later - but I'll first drive around as-is for awhile. And also to determine if I can tolerate this as a daily driver (which I'd like to) or if this will be only for expedition/fun use.
I also just made a post introducing myself on this forum as new owner. And I posted the 716 in the Classified section.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

The "high speed" tranny is the Turbo-Diesel ZF tranny which will match up with Bell
housing and can be modified to link up to shifter of a 710/712 1'st gen Pinz.

But don't go there. You will be VERY unhappy with the performance on the trail,
you will also find yourself gear hunting on any grade of significance on the HWY.
It's a VERY POOR match. Been there done that and I also have 2.7L engine.

The only reasonable match with that Tranny is to also swap in the 712 X-case
which is geared lower than the 710 X-case getting you back to a reasonable LL
and a better match HWY ratio. That's major surgery and the 712 X-case's are
far more rare. Been there done that too and far far happier.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I've driven an FJ Cruiser since they first came out, and find them very capable off-road -- and there is room to sleep in back unless you're taller than 6'4". I'd not write them off.

But I also added a 710 to the stable because, well, it's special. Incredibly capable, but very narrowly designed for a specific purpose. And if your purpose isn't that, you're going to see all the compromises. It's loud. It's slow. It requires an attentive driver/mechanic who's willing to dig in and listens to what the engine/drivetrain is telling you. It's carbureted with a manual choke system, so don't expect to just hop in turn the key and go without some careful monitoring of engine warm-up and mixture needs. Did I say it's slow? Remember it's slow. In the FJ, I go whatever speed I want to -- the terrain (and local laws) are the limit. In the Pinz, physics and gravity are the limits. In the FJ, I don't mind driving for eight hours in a stretch and then fjording a small river without blinking an eye. Only one part of that fits the Pinz nicely.

As others said, go drive one before taking the plunge. People love the *concept* of the Pinz, but not all are ready for the *reality* of them.
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

JungleJudah wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 am Thank you very much for all the valuable feedback.
So yesterday I finalized my decision and purchased a 710M from Andre at Fat Fabrications.

Just before completing purchase with Andre, he posted on his facebook someone else selling a 716; I called the owner and considered it, but realize as a first time Pinz owner, may be better to start off with a 710M and see how much I really like it before much larger investment of 716 (although when/if I'm ready to purchase 716, likely won't be able to find one for sale!), and seemed primary benefit of 716 is higher speed as I indicated major interest in this forum - but driving the 710M at 50s mph already felt plenty fast enough! Andre said he can replace my transmission with a high speed transmission, so I may decide to do that later - but I'll first drive around as-is for awhile. And also to determine if I can tolerate this as a daily driver (which I'd like to) or if this will be only for expedition/fun use.
I also just made a post introducing myself on this forum as new owner. And I posted the 716 in the Classified section.
Congrats man. I'm sure your new ride is right.

have fun