New member from Germany

All things not relating to the other forums.
aekwi
Germany

New member from Germany

Post by aekwi »

Hi Guys,

since I'm reading here for quite long time and finally registered myself, I wanted to introduce myself.
My name is Simon and I'm living near Munich.
For me, it started all with a quite cheap 710M that had several rust holes etc... That was quite a huge issue since I had nearly no experience with old cars... So I started learning.
Good thing, one of my best friends always supported my, since he's guilty that I started with the Pinz...I drove his 712M several times and it was love at first sight.

After the 710M I had a short brake and drove a Mercedes W123 Coupe due to my girlfriend. But then I decided to buy a 710K that I had until 2 months ago.

With the 710K i travelled and drove around and learned a bit more about the mechanical side... but then... one fine day, ( exactly one week ) after I broke up with my Pinzgauer-averse girlfriend, I found a 712M in very bad condition. A lot of rust, a damaged front due to an accident, several parts were missing, the gearbox not installed... long story short, I bought it. Still not an expert or anything near that, I tried to get it running and back on the street which is quite challanging thinking about the technical inspection in Germany.

So I parked it in the garage...

It needed a lot of work and there are too many pictures but some are worth to share...

After changing the engine oil (and 2 liters of water that were inside the enginge...) and a lot of work later, that's the result.

But for camping, a shelter would be better... so I searched and found one... just in the wrong colour, so I changed that quickly. ;)

In the meantime, we found a "little" collection, I guess Joeri knows that one very well!
(I guess you can see some escalation over time....)
We bought the Pinzis and the incredible Pinzgauer Razorback buggy.

With that collection, there were "some" spare-parts, around two trailers full. ;)

The latest project is a 712K that I bought (9 years just standing around, not driven, engine has issues, rust etc...)

After around 200 hours, the Pinz as passed the TÜV inspection, has a new color and I replaced the water pump with a welded bumper for a winch. I guess there are still around 400-500 hours of work waiting for me until it's ready for Iceland next year.

I'm always looking here and I'm getting a bit jealous, since engine swaps etc. would never pass the inspection in Germany... but it's great to see all the builds and stories here.

Best regards from Munich
Simon
Derrickbwg
United States of America

Re: New member from Germany

Post by Derrickbwg »

Glad you are here and posting! Your builds are hardcore work and look great, you obviously are not intimidated by a project lol!

Thanks for posting up the pics and introducing yourself :D
1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Wow, nice builds and rescues! I have seen that razorback buggy, looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Welcome to the forum, lots of crazy pinzgauer people to bounce ideas around with. Have fun!
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I have heard of the term "German craftsman" may times, now I have seen it. Great job!
aekwi
Germany

Post by aekwi »

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot!
Yeah it's a lot of work and I don't have a barn or something so I'm working and restoring the cars out on the street most of the time... My neighbours are... happy :roll:
But it's better than sitting in front of the TV i guess. ;)

If you want, I can also post my ongoing stuff, since the restaurations never stop. ;)

Greetings from Munich
Simon
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

welcome aboard! Impressive work!
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
aekwi
Germany

Post by aekwi »

Hi guys,

just a short update on the current state of the camper conversion. :)

Last week I got it out of the winter storage since we have around 15°C and that's warm enough to get the glue working...

But first things first... the fiber optic cables...

Fun fun fun...

But I love the result and it's worth every hour spent on that gimmick... :mrgreen: And as they say... happy wife, happy life, so my girlfried is loving it which makes the work on the Pinz much easier :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Currently I'm working step by step to get the floor in the car... with a lot of water to put some weight on it while the glue starts binding...

Greetings from Munich
Simon
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Nice, keep up the good work :mrgreen:
aekwi
Germany

Post by aekwi »

Hi,

long time no update... next month we are going to Iceland and the Pinz is almost finished. Last weekend we did some testing in an offroad area here and it's running good.

Greets from Munich
Simon
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

I like the color on the 712 :wink:
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Nice and we need to see pics of Iceland!
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!