new Pinzgauer owner to be

All things not relating to the other forums.
m9184
United Arab Emirates

new Pinzgauer owner to be

Post by m9184 »

Dear real4x4 forum folks,

im an old time G wagon W460 - W461 guy and i have got across a potential Pinzgauer for sale in my country ,

i have enrolled in this forum to get the support and advises on some topics that might be a decision making factor for me and i do appreciate the knowledge and experience i have see in this forum ,,

the car im planning to buy has the following detailed numbers:
712M
-vehicle No: 4704889
-engine No: 5766849
-chassis No: 4754840

1- since i live in dubai, UAE , middle east : where the temperature hits in summer above 55C" - 60C , and the car has a petrol air-cooled engine, will it be working normally in this tough weather in the desert ?>

2- is there any issues and known challenges that i need to look at while inspecting the car and making sure they work properly?

3- what service and overall mechanic maintenance work that i need to do once i get the car home ?

4- is there any video and documentation on how to drive/test the gears , the differential locks , shafts , 4x4, etc.

5-finally : what could be the fair value for such an ex-military car which needs some restoration and work to be done.?

thanks and best regards
Joeri
Belgium

Re: new Pinzgauer owner to be

Post by Joeri »

Dubai....dont they have the TD pinzgauers in their army like Oman and Saudi Arabia :oops:
m9184
United Arab Emirates

Post by m9184 »

Joeri wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:31 am Dubai....dont they have the TD pinzgauers in their army like Oman and Saudi Arabia :oops:
not sure about those. but I beleive the TD ones are water cooled..

the one I'm getting is air-cooled petrol 4 cylinder
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Yes i know but they are in someways beter than the petrol ones due to having discbrakes, powersteering, and automatic gearbox ( most of them) . The petrol ones.....well if the drive train and engine are ok you cant go wrong so look if there are no big oil leaks under the axles, hi/ lo gearbox , check if the engine turns over and for the rest make sure it is as complete as possible :wink:
m9184
United Arab Emirates

Post by m9184 »

thanks a lot
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

don't worry about air cooled engines; they are designed to work at a wide range of temperatures, and your radiator won't leak :-)
the disk brakes area definite advantage over the drums, automatic vs. manual shift is a matter of personal preference, but the petrol trucks are usually half the price of a Diesel.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Hotzenplotz wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:50 am don't worry about air cooled engines; they are designed to work at a wide range of temperatures, and your radiator won't leak :-)
the disk brakes area definite advantage over the drums, automatic vs. manual shift is a matter of personal preference, but the petrol trucks are usually half the price of a Diesel.
You forget powersteering :wink:
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

apologies, I do have powersteering in my 712
I got used to it way too quickly
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Thats no powersteering....that is a " i will help you steering" electric unit, cant compare it with a hydraulic steering. :mrgreen:
But if it works... 8) :roll: :wink: