New member from Montana

All things not relating to the other forums.
MTPinz
United States of America

New member from Montana

Post by MTPinz »

Hello!

I've had an eye on these things as long as I can remember and finally brought one home last week. It's a '73 710 that's needs a little love, but she runs, drives, and stops, so that's a good enough starting point for me. I've recently placed good sized orders from both EI and SAV and hope to have it freshened up shortly so I can go out and enjoy the last bit of summer with it. From the short neighborhood drives I've been on, I can tell this is going to be a lot of fun.

Looking forward to jumping in head first and learning all about these beasts.

Cheers!

Richie
Pinz1
Pinz1
KIMG4092.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 2281 times
whitesik
United States of America

Re: New member from Montana

Post by whitesik »

Welcome!! Keep us updated on your progress.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Congrats on the new truck. Yes, loads of fun, to work on and to drive. Looks like you have some projects ahead of you, this is a great resource for information. I seem to remember a yellow pinz floating around a few years back, wonder if anyone recognizes this one.

Pro-tip, use the search function, we've all been through most of the same repairs and there is a huge amount of information on here. Have fun!
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

Hey thanks whitesik and Texas710! I've been pouring over the topics that pertain to me and have figured out a bunch already. Can't wait for the parts to come in to get started.

As far as I can tell from the paper trail that came with the rig, this one started off (maybe imported) with Thilo Kass but was owned by a guy in AZ, where Thilo did extensive work to it. At this point it was still OD green, but eventually made it over to MI, where it was painted yellow and maintained, and then in 2010 it went to MN to a gent that I bought it from. Being in the midwest for so long, it has it's fair share of corrosion, but nothing too major. I pulled the floor pans out, scraped the rust and treated them with OSPHO for the meantime. I'll probably give the whole footwell a liberal coat of POR15 to keep it from getting worse.

At one point, it had a hardtop, a rear step, and all weather rub strips...not sure what happened to all that stuff along the way but I wish it was still all there!
murrayjp
United States of America

Post by murrayjp »

Nice Congrat's