Young and Foolish? Talk me out of a 710 Pinz

All things not relating to the other forums.
Herc15
Great Britain

Young and Foolish? Talk me out of a 710 Pinz

Post by Herc15 »

Hi from the UK (aware this is predominantly a US site and am asking a lot of UK specific questions hopefully I can get some answers)

Some context I am 19 and am an apprentice test engineer so would say I am reasonably practical and have access to 2 decent workshops (one at home and another at work).
I have been a large Pinz fan since fist seeing convoys of 718's on the Salisbury Plain Training Area years ago and have always wanted to own one, making a owning a portal axle vehicle a bucket list item.
I have now got to the point where financially a Pinzgauer is possible and am looking at purchasing a 710m (not the k mainly because of price of purchase) for my 20th birthday present to myself.
This would be a project/fun vehicle for green laning and occasional use.

Now for some questions...
What licence category does the Pinz sit in? because of the number of seats is it classed as a form of Minibus therefore meaning I have to wait until 21 before I can drive it.

Maintenance, While I am game to have a good go at most things and there looks to be a lot of guides and support online this will be my first vehicle I have owned and maintained. Is it an impossible task for a first timer?

Insurance, the bane of young drivers everywhere. What can I expect to pay yearly (ballpark) for classic military vehicle or will they flatly refuse to insure me? (yes despite a clean licence some companies have refused me on some vehicles such as a Hilux)

What is considered the going rate in the UK for a 710m? prices seem to range a bit but looks like around the 10k mark seems common. Further to that is it worth spending the an extra couple of grand for something a bit cleaner? Take the 2 one ebay currently for example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124825136361 ... Sw3ENg~UjI £9k or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144175292116 ... 1110.m1982 £12k

Test Drive, is it worth me driving one before going to view one for sale in order to help make the decision? If so is there anyone in the South West who would be willing?

Appreciate your frank responses in advance.

Bryn
Curious enough to take it apart, Skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm done.
Texas710
United States of America

Re: Young and Foolish? Talk me out of a 710 Pinz

Post by Texas710 »

Not sure about the specific England requirements but some thoughts.

Just do it, once you get the bug, it's hard to shake. They are easy to work on if you are a novice, loads to learn. Not saying some components are not difficult (try swapping your front end springs) or overly heavy, but it's all manageable. That said, you should have a good idea of how an engine runs and depending on the ignition, knowing something about 40 year old technology is helpful.

For a decent, drive-able 710M, I would be looking to spend 7,500 - 13,000 pounds (about 10-18k dollars) depending on shape, rust, issues, upgrades. The seat will fold down to make a flat bed truck, or you could always remove them and say it's a truck. I classified as a station wagon so I could have passengers in the back (cannot with a truck where I live). Mine is insured as a classic car, very cheap but don't expect them to pay much of anything if you wreck it.

Very much test drive, these are loud, stinky trucks and not for everybody. I would caution you from this being your daily driver, they can be, but I always prefer to have a modern backup just in case. Plus unloaded, they seem to wear tires down pretty quickly and unevenly on payment due to their toe in.

You're in England, so I would be searching this form for how to spot rust issues. Some of these trucks can look great on the exterior, but if you know where to poke and look, you can find a lot of rust issues. Body work on these is not impossible, but avoid rust like the plague.

Some of my thoughts...