Better side windows; K or M?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Air2air
United States of America

Better side windows; K or M?

Post by Air2air »

Scheming to buy my first Pinz I have to remember that the family in back must be able to see something besides the front seatbacks. I understand how radio operators did not need a panoramic view but for me the intent is exactly that. I did a massive new-FJ build 10 years ago that became famous but it was like looking out of a submarine, and totally failed the basic requirement. Like many of us my wife has to be convinced to go on trips and you know how we have to make it fun for them.

Fantastic post here from Expedition Imports with exactly what I'm thinking for a K: 710K Additional Side Windows

Plan B is to do an M soft top with larger window modifications. I'm sure you guys can tell all the stories there, but my recollection is soft windows are lousy to see out of. Do you guys just roll it up when the rear-seaters want to see out?

Or am I making a bigger deal out of the visibility than I should?
rmel
United States of America

Re: Better side windows; K or M?

Post by rmel »

Hmmm, I thought I replied to this once before ://

Well, the good news is a Pinz is cab forward, so the up front views are pretty darn good.
Pop out the front top door halves and better still. Take your wife on a test run up front :wink:

With respect to adding windows on a K between the front and rear doors, as Scott noted
the built in roll bar will need to be removed -- that's a very bad idea unless this is slated
as a Mall Crawler exclusively. Adding a tubular roll cage as a replacement would be
necessary and not trivial. You could also remove the top door halves in the rear for better
rear trail views.

For an M, folks typically roll up the canvas for a completely open experience. Although
it can get a bit dusty back there.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Air2air
United States of America

Post by Air2air »

Thank you Ron, I know noobie questions can be most annoying.

Yeah reviewing my Expedition Imports shopping list it might include a way to do windows with the factory bar temporarily removed for the fitting and then replaced. Tried driving the kids in a fully-caged DD vehicle before and I hated it.

Or better yet just sell me your K after you have all this figured out :D.

Oh wow - you're in Woodside, I'm in Belmont.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Incidentally, puch.at is a good source for parts drawings -- see attached of roll member.
It's actually a "bow" not a tube construction. They are far sturdier than they look, item #25 in attached.
pic_BSL_Pinzgauer_Benz._710-712_171.05.06_Verdeckgerüst_D,_LFAL.jpeg
pic_BSL_Pinzgauer_Benz._710-712_171.05.06_Verdeckgerüst_D,_LFAL.jpeg (244.4 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Well this one is believe it or not a factory build 716k...only 2 i believe were build like this.

Air2air
United States of America

Post by Air2air »

rmel wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:20 pm Incidentally, puch.at is a good source for parts drawings -- see attached of roll member.
It's actually a "bow" not a tube construction. They are far sturdier than they look, item #25 in attached.

pic_BSL_Pinzgauer_Benz._710-712_171.05.06_Verdeckgerüst_D,_LFAL.jpeg

Very interesting rmel, it appears the front roll member echoes the back one. So they positioned two bows together and wrapped sheet around them to create fore and aft rigidity. This explains to me why you see a half-window between the cockpit and rear windows in Joeri's photo of the silver car above.