Tipping Point

All things not relating to the other forums.
HYRYSC
United States of America

Tipping Point

Post by HYRYSC »

I have been reading through as many of the tech articles as I can. One thing I noticed in the "Old Tech sessions" is there is a thread about how far you can tip sideways without going over. Great information, but almost all of the pictures and/or video links are dead.

I figured maybe we can revive this and folks can share any personal pictures and video's as well as any they may have saved over the years.

For one, I have quite a bit of experience driving off-road, but as a brand new Pinz owner, it would be very helpful to gain some insight from the experience of others.
rmel
United States of America

Re: Tipping Point

Post by rmel »

They can get tippy...

Pretty narrow Track at 57" versus a stock JK at 62" for example.
Somewhat high center-of-gravity due to relatively high clearance with Portal axles.
The K's are more tippy than the M's -- just a bit more weight with more steel above
the central tube.

Generally, you just don't want to put a lot of weight high up like a heavy exoskeleton
and -- IMHO don't go for super wide tires in an attempt to improve footprint. Puts a
lot of stress on the wheel drives and steering will be a super PITA. I'd suggest not going
wider than 265. Then three's the nuances of a Pinz, it's IFS/IRS and thus keeping all 4
on the ground ain't like a solid axle. On steep cambers you want to go SLOOOW and
avoid suspension compression due to bounce.

Wheels with wider hoops e.g. 8" or offsets would help a bit but that would be limited
due to interference. So it is what it is -- so to speak.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Mr Zero
United States of America

Re: Tipping Point

Post by Mr Zero »

Everything rmel said being accurate I would add that if you have a healthy sense of apprehension, then you'll make adjustments long before the Pinz does anything weird or unexpected. I often get the Pinz adequately off-camber to require that I grab the passenger side OSB to keep myself upright relative to the trail... My point being that once you gain more experience with the truck that you'll develop a good sense of the vehicle's limits and your comfort level working within them. If outfitting the Pinz as an overlander think about keeping your build and cargo as low as possible and you shouldn't experience any tipping issues when operating the vehicle within reasonable parameters.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]