FN Pistols

All things not relating to the other forums.
EuroTruck

FN Pistols

Post by EuroTruck »

Hi Folks,

Just checking to see if anyone in our ranks owns an FN Five-seveN pistol?

If so, how do you like the hardware and the 5.7 X 28 ammunition?

TIA,

-Sean Philyaw
EuroTruck Importers, LLC.
Odd-Ball Trucks and Parts
770-965-3311
www.eurotruck-importers.com
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

Does anyone in the US have one. I was under the impression that the ammo was made illegal here. I could, of course, be wrong. I just remember a lot of hoopla when that rifle was intoduced and speculation about the ammo.
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
BERT

Post by BERT »

rollingpinz wrote: Does anyone in the US have one. I was under the impression that the ammo was made illegal here.
Wikipedia: The 5.7 x 28 mm rounds are bottle-necked cartridges which come in several versions. They have a relatively high muzzle velocity and low recoil and are designed to replace pistol cartridges. The SS190 is the standard 5.7 x 28 mm cartridge. A brief controversy ensued in the United States when it was claimed by the Brady Campaign that certain variants (namely the SS192) are able to pierce Level IIA body armor when fired from the Five-seveN pistol. All game hunting cartridges, and even several pistol cartridges, are capable of such penetration. The claimed ability of SS192, made by the Brady Campaign, to pierce body armor was not confirmed with facts or data or by any authoritative agencies or sources. The ammunition was not restricted for civilian sales, since it is not legally recognized as armor piercing by the BATFE. Nonetheless, FN quickly chose to withdraw the SS192 from the market and replace it with the SS196SR. The SS196SR's anti-armor performance is diminished due to a heavier bullet (leading to lower muzzle velocity) and a polycarbonate tip that promotes expansion and fragmentation upon impact, even at lower velocities. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7_x_28_mm )

Bert
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Sounds like a reloading project! Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
wecsog1

Post by wecsog1 »

Sean,

Try this link and do a few searches. Ammo is pricey and availability is spotty at this point, but everything that FN manufactures is done well. Performance/satisfaction depends upon intended use.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... ght=pistol

Stay well!

Wendell
Wendell
75' 710K
Bama BMW M3

hey

Post by Bama BMW M3 »

I used to work for a gun distributor. I never played with ant FN pisols but i think my old boss new company sells them. I might could get you a deal. Ill find out if you want me to.
Frank Pinelander

FN fiveseven

Post by Frank Pinelander »

I and some of my friends have one. Initially, the only ammo that was made was considered AP, then open tip aluminum core training ammo was made. Very fast and flat shooting. Shot at a section of 24inch steel I-beam at 200 yards, no holdover with everything hitting the beam. This ammo is no longer available. The ammo that is currently made under contract by Fiocchi for FN is lead core with Hornady V-max bullets. Still fast and flat shooting, but not going to have the penetration that the training ammo did. In wet phone books, we got 9 inches overall - first four straight, last 5 sideways with no deformation.

Anyway, it is a typically well made FN product. Normally what we'll carry when out in the Arizona boonies. Gives rifle performance from a pistol. Next is the PS90 to go along with it.
tnronin

Post by tnronin »

And don't forget the earplugs, the stuff is loud.
Tony

Post by Tony »

If someone is serching for a really limp dicked pea shooter, this pistol would be the correct choice. 5.7mm of whomp ass killer power. It ranks over even the vaunted 22 LR in knock down power.

There are several well known stories about it's one shot stopping ability against gnats, chipminks, young bunnies, and charging sparrows.

This is a real heavy weight killer pistol round if there ever was one!