Scared of Long Trips?

All things not relating to the other forums.
lindenengineering

Scared of Long Trips?

Post by lindenengineering »

I see lots of Pinz folk worrying about a cross country trip in their rig.

Well to pump up your confidence how's about this little jaunt to Tucuman from Colorado. One of my customers has just returned from his trip down there, where the only thing he busted was a front CV joint.

Apart from crossing Mexico and Central America he took a boat trip from Panama to Quiaquil and then south by road via Inquique and Santiago. Visting one of my favourite places, Valparaiso. If you like sea food such as Bass on the grill I can recommend this place for a weekend trip - for those intrepid amongst you all!
Dennis
william curry

Post by william curry »

I drove my M-12 from Borrego Springs, Ca. to Cabo San Lucas and back, a lot of the time via not so well marked trails, and I thought it was an expedition.

Compared to this guy, I hardly got over the county line.

How many miles?
How many days/months?

This could be one hell of an interesting story.

Is he allowed to have visitors yet?
lindenengineering

William
He's coming in over the next few days to pick up a drive shaft to repair the front end.
I will get the details, & post them. In any case it just goes to show just how good a Pinzie is, but above all it really comes down to just how tough your butt is in that seat!

I bet that trip to Cabo was a blast!
Keep on trucking
Regards
Dennis
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I know of a lot of people who have knocked-up huge mileage in Pinzgauers with few problems.

The longest trip I've travelled in mine on a trip was about 3000 km (1875 miles), but I know of one bloke who did an 8000 km (5000 miles) trip through Outback Australia (up the Canning etc ..... the Canning Stock Route itself is an 1800 km (1125 miles) long 4WD track in WA, with nothing along the way .... no fuel, no homesteads, no people, your on your own)

I'd also guess that Ewald and Tamara (An Austrian couple who travelled around Australia for 9 months in a 712) travelled a lot further again.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/profpinz/fri ... wd_tam.htm
also see Frapper- Pinzgauer
Last edited by Profpinz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
william curry

Post by william curry »

Dear Dennis and Peter;

These sorts of wild-assed expeditions are things of beauty.

Ships weren't made so that they could stay in harbour.

A Pinz wasn't made to go grocery shopping.

Ding-Bat trips like this, are what make life interesting.

Sincerely,

William Curry ( Ding-Bat )
lindenengineering

Guys
I don't think there's too many obstacles in going to many parts of the world except where war or the high risk of banditary exists.

From my experiences its a question of making sure your paperwork is in order so that you can cross borders without having to "fight" customs officials.
William what were your experiences with Mexican customs on that score?

So far as the Pinz is concerned the only other potential problem I see is in it's standard mil drab you might have a few problems with a few officials who know it is a military vehicle and civilians are not allowed to drive mil trucks in some countries.
By the way don't think it's only 'primatives" who enact these restrictions. I got involved with a client who had us containerize a 710m for shipment to Costa Rica only to have it impounded in Long Beach. Reason:- You got it, that's a military vehicle 'cos its green and there's no export of military vehicles to Costa rica unless sanctioned by the State Dept"!
Answer paint it a civi colour like yellow!

Other than that I think its just a question of cash to go places, and see things like the Machu Pitchu or the Selva De Pine in this continent.
Keep on trucking Pinzie trucking that is
Dennis
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

So far as the Pinz is concerned the only other potential problem I see is in it's standard mil drab you might have a few problems with a few officials who know it is a military vehicle and civilians are not allowed to drive mil trucks in some countries.
I asked Ewald once why he painted his 712 bright blue.
His answer was that they have taken it to a number of countries and that blue is one colour that is relatively safe.... Well at least it says "civilian"
If I remember correctly his reasoning was that in general:

Green (all shades and form...camo etc) = Military
White = UN Vehicles
Black = Special Forces / Secret Police etc.
Red = Fire

....and well I guess he didn't like yellow!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
william curry

Post by william curry »

Dear Dennis;

Baja is a different breed of cat even by Mexican standards.

During my entire expedition I saw one Cop. His Blazer was broken down and I towed him some 20 miles to the nearest gas station/cantina.

You will need Mexican auto insurance, a driver's license, Pesos, and a wad of Andrew Jacksons.

You will run into bandits when off the beaten path. I guarantee this. They drive around in old farm trucks, stop for directions, and look menacing. The trick is to look more menacing and brandish a large knife while you clean your fingernails.

You will run into military checkpoints. You won't see them until you are there. They are manned by very young and thirsty soldiers carrying full automatic rifles. The trick is to have a well stocked cooler filled with iced beverages. This gesture in international diplomacy oils the wheels of progress, and makes everyone happy at the same time.

I ran into several groups of large wolves while I was hiking to the base of Picacho del Diablo, the highest spot in Baja. The wolves looked more menacing than the bandits, weren't interested in my papers, and didn't seem thirsty either.

Take along some extra gas, and an escape module, mine was a 100cc Honda.

Don't miss staying a night at Mike's Sky Rancho. Great food, great bar. Mike has a lot of juice in the vicinity and can be a great friend to those in need. I know.
KINSPINZ

Post by KINSPINZ »

This weekend will be my third year in a row of 300 miles to Moab and running some of the hardest trails there. Then driving it right back. And i love the blood sweat and tears the whole time.

Mike
ITS NOT A F*&$%*# HUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!
lindenengineering

Hey Willaim
Thanks for the postings on your experiences in Mexico.
Yo entiendo perfecto!

I actually expected about what you had written before you posted it!
Lovely he he he!

From my experiences in Lat Am a can of cool beer (cervacita) goes along way. In Arabia its a cup/glass of hot tea with a "fag" preferably Marlboro or Benson & Hedges.
Once upon a time I was with a bunch of Dutchmen in Landrovers outside the city of Mosul in Iraq. We wanted to get inside a monument built by the Assirians, the city was then called Ninevah, (biblical history) The outside had this huge statue of the winged bull.
The guard was being a dick and wouldn't let us in. So I brewed up a pot of tea on the roadside by my 109 lwb using Brook Bond. Once the brew was being poured he couldn't resist, " Marhaba Chia Endeck" was the melter. We got in the museum with a special introduction and a packet of fags with the tea made us eternal mates.
I suppose I have to say that people are the same the whole world over forget the colour of skin, its culture and religion that seperates us.
Bloody marvelous,
Thanks for sharing your experiences in Mexico.
Dennis
rl dietz

scared of long trips?

Post by rl dietz »

Dennis i am intrested to know what became of the pinzi that was held up in long beach,did they ever ship the truck to costa rica .if so do you have any contact info for the owners ??? i also have a 710 (yellow) and want to ship my truck down to my property in costa rica . i need to find out how much was shipping and how hard was it get it into the country. how much in mordida(payola to the man) and how long in customs in punta arenas,c.r. any info on this subject will help very much ...thank you !!Randy Dietz.
74 710 m in southern calif
73 710 m in costa rica
79 u1300l unimog,in costa rica
lindenengineering

Randy
The Pinz eventually ended up back here in Colorado only to be re-sold to someone who is a Cherry Creek Cruiser. A poseur!

I can however put you in touch with one of my customers in Jaco who has imported two 710m's from Long Beach to Costa Rica direct. Pura Vida!

If you contact me off line I will forward his E mail to you.

On a seperate issue but one that prompted this posting I got to speak to one of the guys who took that Pinz down to Chile. Firstly four guys and a dog set off from Colorado and went down to Central America travelling through Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Panama.
The worst potholed roads were encountered in Costa Rica.
Having got down to Panama City, they had to drive to Colon to get a ship(ferry) that passed through the canal.
The ship docked in Guiaquille and they then continued the trip to Cutzco on the Pan Am highway. From there it was a mad dash down to Santiago that's 3000 kms in 28 hours.

The success of the trip so far as reliability was concerned is the fact in their opinion the Pinz has no power or high tech add ons like more modern vehicles or tarted up home brewed Pinzis you see, For them the sheer riugged build of the standard truck was enough to wear them out on the highway.
The other thing was that no-one bugged them, the mere sight of the truck .being so different made evetyone including officials go gah gah at the sight of this bright red truck.
Bloody marvelous
Dennis