Need some restoration advice

All things not relating to the other forums.
milesdzyn

Need some restoration advice

Post by milesdzyn »

Well its finally time to start the full restoration to the body. I bought my 712M a year & 5 months ago, It looked really nice in white with the interior rhinolined black. Unfortunatly I have noticed some things that led me to belive that there was little prep work done before the purely cosmetic finishes were applied. So it is time to do the job I've been dreading, peeling all that rhinolining off. I plan to take it down to bare metal, fixing small dings and making mods as a go.

I have not decided on the bottom as the undercoating is in such great shape, I'm also a little concerned about how difficult it would be to remove. Anyone removed and replaced the undercoating yet?

So I would like to hear from anyone that has gone through this with tips and suggestions.

My idea for paint is: Self etching primer, Paint on sound barrier, and Epoxy top coat. I'll make a test piece and weather it while doing the rest of the prep work.

Any suggestions on removing the rhinoliner? Does heating it with a hot air gun make it easier to work? I may use a soldering iron with a knife blade to cut it if it doesn't create to much toxic fumes. :shock: This is the part that will take the most time cause someone got a little carried away with the spray in the cab.

Note: rhinoline is used as a generic term, as I do not know what brand was used.

Miles
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I would think that if you could get an "edge" started and if the material is thick enough, a small grip would be all that is needed to start the peel-n-heat. If your're lucky maybe a poor sanding prep was done :) and it will come right up! :D Perhaps a "repair and patch" with recoat would be another option.In the house world a kitchen remodel will bring a resonable return/for the money,in the Pinz world it's much like remodeling a closet ! :P
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Are you doing a full "body off" restoration?
If so just get the whole body tanked / liquid stripper dipped.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

I've used the etching primer with great results on a M416 off road trailer. My buddy owns a bedliner business and he gets the junk liners off with a DA sander. The pads have holes in them and are 60 grit. Like the previous post you might get lucky and be able to peel the coating off. I wouldn't use any heat, it will turn the coating in to a gooey mush.
Swifty in Illinois
Swifty 72 710M
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

M Wehrman....I've taken some of the rhinoline off of some small parts that came off pretty easy so we'll see how the rest goes. The remodeling is for longevity as I plan on having it till I can't climb up into the cab or afford to fill the tank. :cry:

Peter....I may take the body off to upgrade to execII but have not decided yet. I really don't want to mess with the undercoating.

Swifty....Thanks for the heads up on the Goo/Mush I was going to use Por-15 for a base coat but since I plan to go down to bare metal I think the self etching is the best choice. I've heard of a coating that goes on to bare metal but forgot what it was, Zinc Phosphate?

Brian....You didn't warn him enough! I find a good warning along with electric shock therapy works better. Thou it is good to hear that it is a solid vehical under the skirt. I got that feeling when I saw the under carriage. And the bed liner does react to brake fluid, My hydraulic lockers leaked out a while back. I don't think I will go that route due to the mess involved.

Just waiting for my work to clear out a space under the awning.

Miles