See a Pinzgauer in person

All things not relating to the other forums.
beardousa

See a Pinzgauer in person

Post by beardousa »

I recently bought a Land Rover Series III, which I thought was the truck I most wanted out of any, but then I saw a picture of a softtop 712M online. Both trucks have the same body style I like (bed for hauling cargo OR people, not separated from the cab, with a soft top), but I think the Pinzgauer would suit me better for the following reasons. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of the impressions I have so far, and keep in mind I live in NJ just outside Philly:
1) The body panels look very thick and sturdy - are they? My LR has very thin galvanized steel panels. They won't rust, but they can barely handle me leaning on them.
2) The fact that it's longer, yet turns tighter
3) It has rollbars at the front AND back of the bed
4) The extra axle
5) I see some weird things start to happen when driving my LR on the highway for a long period of time, but I've read posts from lots of Pinz owners saying they drive them on long trips. Pinzgauers must be better-suited for highway driving.
6) If I've read even one post from a Pinz owner about their gas mileage, it has to be better than that of my LR, which is atrocious

But these things concern me:
1) Would getting parts be very difficult or expensive? Moreso than my LR?
2) There doesn't seem to be any mechanics with special knowledge of these trucks anywhere near where I live.
3) Would I legally be able to cross 3-ton bridges? Those limits refer to the vehicle's GVW, right (in NJ)?

But before I can consider selling my LR and coming up with an additional $7,000, I'd need to see a Pinzgauer in person, perhaps get a ride out on the highway, or maybe even drive one. I'm hoping to find an owner within a few hours of Philly who can show me around their truck, or at least get some suggestions as to where to find such an owner or business.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

With respect I think you are trying to compare oranges to lemons; Both are citrus but very different!

The body on an LR is made of alum, doesn't corrode like steel.
Yes the Pinz has a much better turning radius.
Yes it has some sort of roll bar but the LR has roll survival capability. Been there did that. The Pinz roll bars will bend if subjected to a roll over,seen plenty like it after a purler!

You were not too explicite on ".wierd things that happen", can you elaborate?
I havn't driven a Pinz more than 500 miles in a day, that was enough, fatigue set in. I have driven a Series 3 further/longer than that and and was still tired at the end of the day. I consider the LR a bit superior in driver comfort--only just. Engine/drive line is quieter that has a lot to do with it.
As for fuel consumption its about the same, they both love Petrol.

***** Diesel (see below)

The parts aspect is about the same, maybe a bit better for the LR just.
Parts for the LR are much cheaper by far, some Pinz prices will blow your socks off!
As for mechanics, there you have a problem, alot of mechs will tackle a Landrover but will cross their fingers like they have seen Dracula when glancing upon a Pinz.

As you have noted you need to drive a Pinz to perceive ownership, its the only way to see if you want one, and I mean want one!

As a final note, the LR Series 3 can be made to go and I mean go with a 200 tdi turbo diesel engine stuffed up its jumper.
We did one about 2 years ago, and up a mountain here in Colorado I nearly passed a Chev Tahoe but he did his darndest to prevent a lowly LandRover from passing him. I wasn't prepared to risk life and limb to prove a point but I could have.
I recent report from the owner indicates this diesel beast does 28/29 in town commutes and 30/31 on a run.
The Pinz is such a unique animal that a diesel conversion can only be described as difficult to achieve.

Hope that helps you.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now