Britain orders Pinzgauers for Afghanistan

All things not relating to the other forums.
loyalp
United States of America

Britain orders Pinzgauers for Afghanistan

Post by loyalp »

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.c ... ders_.html

Britain is buying 80 armored trucks for their troops in Afghanistan, who are facing a more hostile environment that they did in Iraq. Eighty Pinzgauer military trucks are being bought, at a cost of $788,000 each. This will be the 6x6 "Protector" variant.
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

I'll take two.
Wimps Need Not Apply
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Neat article , at first, but the data at the bottom half is rubbish..... payload specs are way out of wack ( quoted from 710/12s, not the TDs).... where anyone could consider a Pinz a "wider " vehicle, needs to check what they're smoking. A HUMVEE is a foot wider, and is why it doesn't work in remote mountain trails.( maybe the writer was thinking wider than a Haflinger? :wink: )

Anyway, interesting read.

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)

Post by 2012 »

"the Pinzgauer design was modified"

they mean they widened the 710 and 712
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The design was not widen, the track was increase a small amount (axles), the body was not changed for width. The rub rails are taller to cover the tires.
Back when this forum had been changed to this format, someone else had assumed things about the changes in the 716/18's. They looked logical on paper, but in fact, the changes were elsewhere.
Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)

Post by 2012 »

well i'm glad to hear the body is the same width. that feeds my confidence in the 712 i just bought. this is gonna be awesome fun. i AM looking for wider wheel deals, tho.
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

I guess I forgot to post this article from the Leeds England paper regarding the armored Pinzies for Afganistan. Linda brought it back from visiting her daughter over there. I would love to know the size of fuel tanks for the 500 mile and 1240 mile per tankful. The weight is amazing until you figure the weight of armoring. 5000kg or 2.2 lb per kg. Enjoy

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/li ... edpinz.jpg