Interior Lights

All things not relating to the other forums.
Wayne Roberts

Interior Lights

Post by Wayne Roberts »

I am looking for ideas on what everyone has done concerning interior lighting. I camp with my Pinz alot and have to do something. I have located a 24 volt fluorescent at SAV and ordered one. I havent installed it yet and I am thinking of mounting it to the roll bar but it doesn't look correct (factory). Any ideas?

Thanks for any input.
-Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms-
Should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!!
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

I have seen many ideas. Some people us a Coleman brand tent light (battery pawered), When I worked for MTI I ended up with 2 24 volt flourescent lights. They are in a coupel of people's vehicles (2 ft long), Mike Kinsey here in Denver used a rope light. Juergen who used to be the moderator her (a great loss to this board) was big into led lights. So figure out how you plan on using the light long periods of time, or short periods. Flourescent and Led are better for long period use. Incandescants are better for short period and brighter light. I have a Coleman tent light for emergencies and other wise I don't have a permanently mounted light. I carry a led based flashlight for evening use and a coleman propane powered single mantle lantern. Good looking
krick3tt

INTERIOR LIGHTS

Post by krick3tt »

I have a 24v fluorescent left over from my UniMog that may go into the trailer, but for the pinz I use a battery camp light hung from the crossbar in the back. I use a LED headlamp from REI for just around the camp duties. Works great and leaves my hands free when I need to roam outside, it is always pointed in the direction I am looking.

Cheers,
Morris
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

The fluorescent light that SAV sells is not very great. I got some 24 volt LED backup lights (white) and used them as dome lights in my 710K. They put out more light and use fewer amps then the fluorescent light. I got them on eBay for about $15 each.

One other thing: the fluorescent light didn't like cold weather very much whereas the LED lights work just fine no matter how cold it is.
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Being that the Pick Cow was a civilian truck from the beginning, it had interior lamps that were nothing more than typical flush dome light that mounted up between the tubes on the rollbar, and functioned as most cars do, a three way switch that either turn the light on, turn them on when a door opened ( grounding switches at each door), or shut them off entirely. The simplest is sometimes the best. I also don't like something that hangs down out of the rear rollbar that will put another knot on my head. :x

Check out the lights in some of the older vans. This is assuming you just want some light to see by, and not light up the neighboring campgrounds at the same time. I have a Sig to take care of those people. :roll:

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Another option are van/r/v conversion shops,most are 12v...just wire in series. :D TTFN,Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Wayne Roberts

Intreior Lights

Post by Wayne Roberts »

Thanks for all of the input. I have found some 12 volt flush mounted dome lights for a boat. They are the right size and have 2 bulbs with a switch to turn on 1 or both. I will rewire the 2 bulbs to be in series and use the switch as an on / off. Even better was the fact that these came off of a boat that we restored and these were replaced because the finish was not perfect! A quick coat of green paint and they will look like new.

Post by 2012 »

got any more of those?