Pinzgauer Day 2006

All things not relating to the other forums.
IwanaPinz

Pinzgauer Day 2006

Post by IwanaPinz »

My first Pinzgauer Day was a success!
As I have posted before, I have been talking about getting a Pinzgauer for six years. Besides my mother, who endured hours of Pinzgauer dreaming, my students have been my other sounding board.
A picture of a 712 has been my desktop on my school computer and the source of many questions over the past six years. Several pictures of Pinzgauers have adorned my bulletin boards.
As you know I am now the proud owner of a 1973 712M and in celebration of my new ownership I declared last Thursday, Pinzgauer Day at my school and drove the 712 to class.
In honor of the day I requested the students dress in green or camouflage. I printed out a ton of those Pinzgauer 710 cut outs. A few students even took the time to build them. They turned out pretty good.
Every class got a chance to sit in it. They were quite surprised with its size. I think they expected an M-1 tank. They took pictures and asked a ton of questions. Some have requested it as their ride to the prom when the time comes.
It has been doubbed the Magic School Bus's worst nightmare.
Even the principal got a ride. I drove him up the curb and on to the front lawn and across the athletic fields.

I plan on repeating this event every year as the school year winds down.
The day also marked the longest trip that I have taken with the 712, 100 miles. I loved the expressions of the every day commuters as the passed me on the interstate.
Double takes are never not funny. :shock:

There are a few pictures on my Flickr account. I can't publish the pictures with close ups of the kids for privacy issues but you get the idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72494424@N00/
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Looks like a nice clean unit...... Congratulations!
Now you have to get it dirty! :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I had a Teacher who had Snakes and He shared His interest with all His classes,I personally will not forget those "glimpses" into his personal life. I am sure that your students appreciated the "outside of the ordinary" day You gave them! 8) Fun teachers are far too rare.....Keep it up! TTFN,Mark

P.S. It's been over 30 yrs since school. :shock: ...how's my Grammar and Punctuation? :shock:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Mine has done the "prom Limo" duty a couple of times. My Daughter and I dressed in the Swiss army alpenfladge and drove my son and his date to the Adam's Mark Hotel. You should have seen the look on the Conciergie's face as 2 people in full camo got out of the Pinz and opened the back for the properly attired kids to exit the rear of the vehicle. One year we had to go to Fort Carson and pick up kids for the prom and got waved easily through the gate.
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

I would love to get it dirty but off road challenges are hard to find in my neck of the woods. It has driven the vacant lots surrounding the old Bethlehem Steel Mill and the fields around my house.
There is an off road park north of my location. Paragon is well known for its trails. I will plan a trip once I tackle the hole in the exhaust. I will also look for an experienced off roader to give me some dirt driving tips.
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

iwanapinz
you have a 712, just point and go. I would be carefull taking much advice from most offroad people. I know the 712 handles much different than a regular 4X and the 710 what an animal. If you really want to learn how to drive your truck properly, make it to one of the treffens. The RMP treffen is just around the corner. No better way to learn than follow another Pinz.
Good luck
Mike
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

mjnims wrote:iwanapinz
you have a 712, just point and go. I would be carefull taking much advice from most offroad people. I know the 712 handles much different than a regular 4X and the 710 what an animal. If you really want to learn how to drive your truck properly, make it to one of the treffens. The RMP treffen is just around the corner. No better way to learn than follow another Pinz.
Good luck
I will second that! I just got back from Moab last week for the first time in my 712. I could not belive the differance from the 710 I used to have. People used to tell me all the time how superior the 712 is over the 710 but I used to just take it with a grain of salt. Not now. The 712 is amazing!! If I can get my wheels on it, I can do it. The 710 was fun but the 712 is superior, not even a contest. What other mechanically stock vehicle with 30 inch tires (still on Mayloys) can go up the Esculator on Hells Revenge with out any problems..

iwanapinz - don't take recomendations from anyother offroad driver other than a Pinz owner. Pinz's don't crawl, they float. You have to take totally differnt lines than straight axels. I had to learn how to drive again offroad when I sold my jeep and got my first pinz.
Wimps Need Not Apply
KINSPINZ

Post by KINSPINZ »

I wonder what makes it so much better..... :roll: :roll:
ITS NOT A F*&$%*# HUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I don't know... sold mine 3 years ago, have't miss it a bit...`wonder why? :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)