So why do you own a Pinzgauer?

All things not relating to the other forums.
super vw

So why do you own a Pinzgauer?

Post by super vw »

Im just trying to see what everyone is doing with there pinz?

Currently i do not own one (YET!) but was intending on replacing my Vanagon Syncro (Although it IS staying in the family) and selling off my Audi 4000 Quattro to make room for a Pinz.
I also have a 74 VW Super beetle (1303s) that im restoring and modifying for track, Solo-2 and street driving, and i recently picked up a 64 sunroof Beetle that will some day be restored back to original ( has a seized motor at the moment).
I love my syncro to death, but it's just not THAT off road capable (it has NO diff locks), and to get it to where i want to be as far as off road capabilities go, i would have a lot of time and money into it... but it would still be a vanagon... and a Pinz has all the gooddies out of the box (or is it the box :D) aswell as plently of potential for camping, utility use and recreational use.
So all in all, im getting a Pinz to use as a winter driver (we have snow on the ground for 6 months of the year) and to use as my utility rig year around. Im most interested in the 710K becuase of its hard body aswell as the factory Eberspacher BN4 heater, as that should come in handy for the winter months. The hard body should also convert into a nice little rig for camping once outfitted with some sort of modular system for beds, stove..ect. then i could drive alsmost any place i wanted and camp, aswell as have some uber fun on trails and open county driving!
I also love the pinz for it's unique look and feel... it reminds me of our VW Thing! It's just to cool... Raw mechanics! No fancy leather interiors, or plasic crap all over, just simple and getting the job done!
So really i want a pinz for a "fun" vehicle aswell as practical uses...even though a pinz in our modern society is not the most practical vehicle out there.

So whats your story?

Jonathan
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

6 jeeps :roll: ,4 4x4 pickups,2 Broncos :shock: ,A suzuki 2-cyl 4x4 micro-jeep thingy 8) 8) , and quads.I was looking for something different,and I succeeded! As a side note,I definately get more attention when I drive my K over my 712, go figure....Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

Two words: Chick Magnet :wink:

Three words: Mid-Life Crisis Vehicle 8) (that maybe four words)
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.

Post by 2012 »

super vw - it sounds like you may be thinking the 710k is bigger than it really is.

also, i know someone who wants to sell his 712 ambulance for quite the deal, seeing that he's done a lot of apparently very nice work to it. i guess the pm's aren't working right on this bb (is that true?) so you'll have to em me if you're interested in contacting him. i think my em addy shows up below.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Most HAFLINGER owners aspire to own a PINZGAUER one day.
I brought my first Haflinger in 1976 (and still have it) and my 712 in 1984.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
skybarney

Why?

Post by skybarney »

I bought my Pinzie so that everytime I get gas,
Go to the grocery store,
Go to the hardware store,
Go to the movies,
Go to auto parts store or for that matter go anywhere I can stand around and answer questions, mostly from guys. The truck is one giant dick magnet. If I were a homely single woman I would buy a Pinz just for all the attention it gets from the GUYS!!!!

Actually I got it as a people mover with unique attention getting properties for my paragliding balloning business.

Now if I could just get chicks to dig it................................
Tim Nelson
1972 710m
"ParaPinz"

Post by 2012 »

same thing is happening to me! dangit, not sure i like it. and it SCARES the women and horses.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Peter
A few years back, that comment was true, but today, A lot of Pinz owners want to be a Haflinger owner too. A good Haffy can cost as much as a 710M, or more. :shock: ... think I'll breed that herd of Haffies I have in the backyard, and repopulate the countryside. :D

As for why I own a Pinz? The DMV won't register a tank for the road ! :(

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

A few years back, that comment was true, but today
G'Day Dave,

I agree! ....Back in the 70's when I was in the Haflinger Club here, most owners always talked about owning a Pinny someday.
Barry Jones, the original importer of Haflingers and Pinzgauers was a member in those early days and whenever he brought the near new "company" 712 demonstrator on a Hafffy trip, members would sell their first-born to get a ride.
I think most members would have brought one given the chance, EXCEPT for the fact that they cost about $16,500 Aus back in those days.
To put that in perspective, a new SWB Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser cost about $4500 - $5000 at the time.

In Australia we have a reverse situation to the US.
Here, Haflingers are "around" but there is a very small / limited number of Pinzgauers, so we have a lot of Haffy owners, but far fewer Pinny ones.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Tony

Post by Tony »

So why do you own a Pinz, you ask?

In my particular case the malady arose in a night time scorpion, and sidewinder snake hunting expedition, which came after an all day safari in the deserts of Southern Ca. ie. Borrego Springs.

I rode around in a M-10 the entire time. Suddenly late the next day, after what must have been a 24 hour incubation period I contracted a strange and overwhelming compulsion to own a Pinzgauer.

My personal guru advised me to not resist, but to flow with the prevailing Karma.

So I bought one.

Serenity = Pinzgauer.

Post by 2012 »

funny you should say that - i took my amby for its 1st cruise thru winter park's mansion district last night and took note (to self) how relaxing it was. weird... but...it was RELAXING!. ok, i reckon i could call it spiritual, maybe.
Rule 308

Post by Rule 308 »

Saw a couple at the Del Mar gun show a good 5+ years ago and the burning desire to own one has kind of come and gone over that time period. For whatever reason I started looking at all of the sights again earlier this year and looked the wife in the eye and said " You know honey, I am going to own a Pinzgauer one of these days" she simply shook her head and said "I know". It took me a bit but I finally ended up getting one last Memorial day weekend. Why did I get one? Mostly just because I love the way they look. Now that I have owned it for a couple of months I have to agree, there is something real relaxing about a cruise around the block in the Pinz. Not a chick magnet? True but every little boy under the age of about 12 dearly loves it and usually points at it with one hand while screaming "army truck" at the top of his lungs. You've gotta like that one for sure. Like I tell the wife, "see that honey, everyone wants the Pinz" and of course she just shakes her head at me, good thing she loves me. :D
Rule .308
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

The reason I own two 710m's?

I own a commercial 4x4 tour company here in Telluride Colorado called Telluride Offroad Adventures. The Pinzy 710m is perfectly suited for transporting people and gear into the surrounding high country. We have the narrowest and most boulder-strewn "jeep roads" in the country, since most were born as mule paths for hard rock mining. Hummers and full size trucks are utterly useless here. In fact, I have never seen a Hummer on the top of any pass around here. Just in town... looking way too clean!

This is the land of the small 4x4 and Pinzgauers are the trick!

www.tellurideoffroad.com
jpipes

Post by jpipes »

Why I got one...

My recent trucks included a Land Rover Discovery, and then 100x better, a Land Rover Defender 110 (the rare NA version, only 535 made). I loved the Defender and it was a head-turner, but it wasn't as utilitarian as I wanted. Too many plastic panels, too much carpet, too much headliner, although it was used by many militaries it wasn't a true military truck, etc, etc.

I sold the 110 about 2 years ago and ever since wanted another truck to fill that void. I used the 110 for a significant amount of offroading, mainly in desert conditions (never really liked rock crawling or muddin'), as well as camping in general, people hauling, gear hauling, and so on. Without a truck, I couldn't do any of that. In addition, aside from the offroading and camping, I am heavily interested in military history, take part in modern reenactment events (special ops units mainly), and am a member of a tactical CQB/shooting team. After doing lots of research, the Pinzgauer was the single best match for the following main areas I wanted to cover.

-Truck still in use by military units/special operators
-Top notch offroad ability
-100% utilitarian, no frills
-Cheap (for what you get)
-Unique/head-turner is nice
-Easy to work on

For all those, the Pinzgauer fit each one perfectly.

Mine has been customized to match examples being used currently by military units in Iraq and Afghanistan. Milspec current issue desert paint, correct size and style offroad tires, etc, etc. I couldn't be more pleased for the price with what I get. I've had it now for less than a week and I've had hundreds of smilies, waves, conversations, stares, gawks. It's almost exhausting, hahah!

Anyway, that was my reason.

btw, here in CA, I've gotten tons of waves and nice looks from young, attactive women while riding in my truck. Also, my better half was 110% behind getting the truck and loves it as well!