Hammerhead Walkabout tablet PC

All things not relating to the other forums.
milesdzyn

Hammerhead Walkabout tablet PC

Post by milesdzyn »

Does anyone have any experience with the Hammerhead Walkabout P233 PC tablet computers. They are extreamly durable and waterproof but slow, Pentium 233mhz and the screen is monochromatic that is supposed to be viewable in bright day light. I just got some to play around with. I am going to try loading a TOPO program with GPS interaction. I however did not get a manual so it will be trial and error. If anyone has a manual or experiance with these I could use some help getting up to speed. I will eventually figure it out, but if I can save time by learning from others all the better.
Miles
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hey Miles,
There's some infor in here about your tablet... Near the end.
http://srsfia2.fs.fed.us/data_acquisiti ... %20.pdf%22

Perhaps it will answer your questions, perhaps it will point you in a new direction...

Seeya
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice
skd

HammerHead / GPS

Post by skd »

Hey Miles,

Did you ever have any luck getting the Hammerhead to do your GPS for you?

I really like the idea of a screen that big and since I have a hammerhead laying around...

Thanks
Steve
andy

Post by andy »

Miles, I read what Charles posted, not being much with computers it looked complicated to me. Have you considered DeLorme units? Yeah, I know, the Hammerhead is what you have. The Delorme Topo USA 7 works with most laptops and you can exchange information with their PN-20 handheld unit. You can get the PN-20 with Topo USA 7 and several other goodies some of which are free. Gateway has a pretty cool tablet PC but I'm not sure how well it works in sunlight. Just my $.02.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

The Panasonic Cf-18 is what i use built in gps and internet plus it is dust and water prof.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Holy necromancing batman.

I really haven't had the time to continue with this project, someday I will, but for now I'm just absorbing info from the net. I will update when I finish it.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Miles
I also have a couple of the hammerheads. One is loaded with GPS program and antenna but the program is old. The setup only tracks 4 satellies so acquiring is tough. If you don't already watch it, there is a yahoo group for the hammerhead and some of the guys do some remarkable things with the p233. I have the vehicle mount and ports but not the expertise nor the time to work on getting them up to speed. Would be a nice setup and the cost is exceptionally cheap for these used units.
Mike
Thomas-E

RE: Computer

Post by Thomas-E »

A little off subject... I picked up a military surplus Panasonic Toughbook model CF-M34 on E-Bay. Both DeLorme Street Atlas and Garmin's nRoute software work fine on it. It has an 866mhz processor and an ultrabright screen.
The selling point for me was the ruggedized design and touchscreen.
Photos are on the yahoo pinzgauer group photo section

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzga ... rowse/e0a1

Also shown is a simple mount for my old Garmin iQue on top of the wiper motor.

The gateway convertible touchscreen laptop is terrible, we have one installed in a helicopter and it is almost impossible to see and its' touchscreen pen activates the screen without touching it.. doesn't work in a moving vehicle!':evil:'

Lots of options out there, Keep looking

Thomas E.
712M
Sonora, CA
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

A hammer head is useless without a handle,suggest Home Depot or Lowes....... :lol:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I got a Fujitsu Tablet PC on ebay a while ago. Even got a wireless keyboard and extra batteris. I'm still working out a way to mount it. It got Topo maps from Maptech and they run great on it. Actual digitized 1:24,000 quads. Does live tracking, etc.

It is a touchscreen. I'm not sure about the durability, though. I'm really concerned about the dust. I'ld like to get a Toughbook, but I can't find a cheap enough one that will work.
1973 712M
russ

Post by russ »

I'm still using my Garmin original Streetpilot circa 1998. I have topo maps and streets. Streets are getting a bit outdated but there is info on how to modify maps manually. Maybe someone will publish some eventually.

It runs on up to 48 volts too. It's waterproof and so far dust proof. BTW, I've needed its waterproof aspect already. You may have seen my water post pics.

Someday I guess I'll need to change but with a Pinz I don't worry about roads! :D

Sorry, I've been no help on this thread. :twisted:

Oh, because it is wired directly into the 24 volt side it's a great volt meter! You can put it into diagnostic mode and it will tell you what it's input voltage is!
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009