SPEEDOMETERS VARY

All things not relating to the other forums.
krick3tt

SPEEDOMETERS VARY

Post by krick3tt »

Three pinzs, returning to San Diego, from Dave Dunn's Pinz clinic on Sunday had a lot of variation in the readings on the gauge. All of us crusing at the same relative speed and with the same size tires were very far apart on our speeds. I was reading about 72 kph, Guy was close to 80+ and Mike was almost pegged at 100 kph.
I think this might really confuse the MPG I am trying to figure out to see what I am running.
No, we do not have GPS devices. As Mike has no radio and was very bored he was counting the mile markers and I think said we were going close to 60 mph.
This is a lot of variation. Any thoughts? I removed the angle gear from my speedo some time ago.

Cheers,
Morris
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

All stock gauges? I had T-Lo put in an electronic speedo before I even picked up my truck. A nice feature is it's simple calibration feature. The toughest part is finding a decent stretch of road to get an accurate "measured mile".
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

LOL, the best part of that was that Morris always told me that he didn't drive over 50MPH. So here I am by lonesome driving up the 5, and Morris catches up to me. My speedo is pretty close, 30Kilometers on the Odometer came out to 18.1miles in mile markers. (perfect would be 18.6)BTW Morris, I checked it both ways out of boredom.

So much for Morris driving too slow :)

BTW, in case anyone was interested, in roughly 230 miles round trip, I averaged 16.7MPG (all freeway at roughly 60-65MPH). Like I said, I was bored, so mental calisthenics were my only entertainment. (no wonder I was bored)
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

pinzwheeling wrote:LOL, the best part of that was that Morris always told me that he didn't drive over 50MPH. So here I am by lonesome driving up the 5, and Morris catches up to me. My speedo is pretty close, 30Kilometers on the Odometer came out to 18.1miles in mile markers. (perfect would be 18.6)BTW Morris, I checked it both ways out of boredom.

So much for Morris driving too slow :)

BTW, in case anyone was interested, in roughly 230 miles round trip, I averaged 16.7MPG (all freeway at roughly 60-65MPH). Like I said, I was bored, so mental calisthenics were my only entertainment. (no wonder I was bored)
My bad Morris and Guy. It appears that I was correct when checking my odometer; it appears to be spot on. However, I bought a GPS a couple of weeks ago and clocked the Pinz. Uh.... Well... I made fun of you, and it was me who was the one who should have been made fun of. While I thought we were traveling at approx 60+, in reality, we were cruising at a terrifyingly fast 49-50MPH. I double checked the GPS in other cars, and it appears to be accurate.

I guess my spedometer and my odometer are not in synch? (that's the best excuse I can come up with) Oh well, when it starts to vibrate, that's top speed. :)
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com