Hummer vs Prius

All things not relating to the other forums.
STPPINZ

Hummer vs Prius

Post by STPPINZ »

Wimps Need Not Apply
Steve

Post by Steve »

No, that was not an interesting read....it was a GREAT read!

Neil Boortz read portions of this article during his radio show this morning. I was smiling the whole time.

Thanks for the full article.

Steve
1973 712M
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I was smiling the whole time.
Yeah, I'm smiling too -- wondering who reads this blather and believes it. $3.25 cost per mile for 100,000 miles? Thats almost a third of a million dollars! $1.95 per mile for 300,000 miles? That's almost TWO thirds of a million. I'm sorry, at my most generous I can't see spending even $50k over 100k miles in a Prius, or more than $160k for 300k miles in an H2 (well, I could forsee spending $600k for an H1 driven 300k miles!). Sorry, I don't think anybody that drives a Prius spends $32,500 each year for 10 years just for the pleasure of driving one! And I don't buy that Toyota is loosing money forking out the difference, they are in business to make money, not give it away.

It's not that I'm saying a Prius is better than a Hummer (and though I own two Pinzgauers, I wouldn't be caught dead owning an H2 or H3), just that this article has a (very wild!) spin on its own, the claimed facts just don't come CLOSE to adding up.

Now you see how part of the article doesn't hold water, how much can I believe about the rest of it?

Jim Mettler
712W and 710M
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

Hmmm, I guess you missed the point about the TOTAL cost including that often neglected cost to the environment, back ground costs of moving materials and the associated pollution.
Lets face it we are going to have to start thinking about these realities instead of sweeping them under the rug or sticking our heads in the sands of ignorance. If we want to ignore these costs thats fine but what does it leave those who follow us with?
1975 710M
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

No, I think I got that point -- a Hummer can burn 20,000 gallons of gas in 300k miles, but 6,000 gallons for the equivlent mileage in a Prius is worse? And guess who is paying for the "background costs" of moving materials? I'm sure it is me, it is included in the cost of the vehicle (or do you think the shipping companies ship for free? Tell UPS I want my money back!).

However, I do concede that the polution associated with shipping is part of the hidden "costs" to the environment, but I'd still rather put a hundred thousand tons of freight in a cargo ship than the equivlant 2,000 flights if carried by airfreight...

IMHO, there is just too damn many of us in the world (and more every day), I am much more concerned about the problems that will come from families with 5, 8, or more kids than what everyone is doing to the world today -- at the rate the population is growing, do you think everyone will be happy with less tomorrow? This is truely the worlds biggest problem, more than polution, global warming, and everything else rolled together. If the population were to drop we'd all have more, and still leave more for those who follow us.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

300K mi. in an H2 = 300Kmi. in a Tahoe, :shock: I don't see either goinging that distance :lol: :lol: Not to say the Pinz could do that without possibly more costly repairs, but if comparisons are to be made,base the prius and h2 on the same mileage driven. Include purchase price,and I believe the figures would be different! Besides an engine burns fuel and a motor runs on electricity,according to the atricle the p-car had 2 engines, MORE POWER! WOO,WOO!
BTW,I would rather drive a p-car than the pretentious h-tahoe. :twisted:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy