OOOPS

All things not relating to the other forums.
mjnims

OOOPS

Post by mjnims »

Anyone know antything about this mishap?

Mike
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Don't know but it is easily repairable. Hope everyone was ok.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I wonder if the wheel came off before, or during the roll-over?

It's probably a good time to remind people to keep a check on the wheel nuts .... because of the drive-train design and hence the strange resultant loadings on the wheels during suspension movement, the nuts can work loose over time!

I once had a wheel pass me on a bush track ....only to find a few seconds later it was one of mine! :oops: (fortunately it was a centre wheel so I still had a wheel in the corner)
The real bummer was not loosing the wheel so much, but the brake drum as well, so I lost braking :cry:
Still we found most of the bits and we were on our way a little while later! :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

That is Boelt63A's truck. Read about it last night on Steel Soldiers. He got some bumps and bruises but walked away is what they said. I have not been able to contact him but I am sure he will chime in soon and let us know the story.

Wayne
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey you folks.
This is a more frequent occurance than you might imagine, The lost wheel mostly affects the drivers front from our experiences

To give you an example we had a few years ago a customer call us from Montana to say he had a strange noise coming from the truck. Since he was visiting family in Denver he would bring the truck by for a "look see".
When it arrived a glance around the truck showed everything looked fine. I told John to jump in and let's take thrash up the road and see what all this noise was about!

At about 60 mph flat scat, I said hey "this sounds like loose wheel! . In the next moment the front wheel took off like a rocket and us skidding down the road. Luckily I had the brakes on so the drum didn't take a trip with the wheel. Having found the wheel in a nearby field we stuffed it all back together , found some new nuts in the shop and returned the truck to the customer "fixed".

From that day to this shop policy is "We always torque all wheels after a "wheel off repair" road test the truck and retorque before delivering to the customer. A retorque is loosen the nut 1/4 turn and retighten. That's with anti seize compound on threads and cones.
The strange thing is that the owner drove the truck with a loose wheel all the way into Denver without a mishap until we got our hands on it.
So beware and as Peter has mentioned check the torque regularly. Usually you can see evidence of grease/rust bleed off the cones when the wheel is loose, but in this case we saw nothing!
Food for thought.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Read the thread on steel soldiers, it was a loose tire. Nothing that a couple grand and some elbow grease can't solve. But shame, shame for using those deadly Maloya tires, they don't adhere to the road even when they are on the truck :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I didn't realize the rear "roll bar" was so weak. :shock: Gotta go check my nuts now... :lol:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Sometimes you've just gotta be glad it wasn't yourself that time. Bummer. I too had a front wheel loosen up - didn't fall off, though. "Roll bar"??? Drive safe everyone. PU
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Considering the truck rolled over 3 1/2 times and the front bar is still standing, It looks pretty sturdy to me :shock:
Just goes to show how much strength is added by the cage behind the driver.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
rla001

Post by rla001 »

I too hope that everyone is ok.

Makes me feel fortunate that my oops was at a lower speed and I just flopped over on the side instead of rolling. However I suspect that there is more damage there then initially meets the eye. At my slow speed oops I twisted the truck body out of align by nearly 2". latches had to be shimmed and I still have a 1 1/2 inch gap between my door frame and the rear of the drivers door window. chilly on a brisk morning.

The insurance company totaled it and I bought it back. I have toyed witht the thought of replasing the body but I think I will drive it as is for now

Rich A.
Boelt63A
United States of America

Yup that's mine!

Post by Boelt63A »

As you all have noticed and may have read elsewhere I had taken all four wheels and brake drums off to pressure wash them after doing some wheeling in the mud and sand of central Florida.

Didn't get those left front lug nuts quite tight enough though. lost the whel at 105Kph hit the median almost immediately after that and rolled three and a half times. Got a big scratch on my head from my cap, but aside from that and some bruises I was fine. Still haven't found the wheel and tire though.

There are several more pics over on the Steel Soldiers site under the Pinzgauer section. I will probably slowly rebuild the top section and get it back into shape.

Chuck
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey Chuck
I am glad to see that you survived that little mishap with a few bruises and some dented pride perhaps!
Remember you can get another Pinz but there's only one of you!
Again glad you aren't hurt too bad
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Boelt63A
United States of America

Post by Boelt63A »

Thank You, Dennis, I appreciate that. :)

Chuck
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
AK NIMROD

Post by AK NIMROD »

CHUCK GLAD YOU ARE OK LOOKED @ THE PIX ON SS WOW WHAT A MESS. HOPEFULLY YOU WILL GET IT BACK ON ROAD WITHOUT TOO MUCH OF A DELAY