Help, we're stuck in our Hummer.

All things not relating to the other forums.
todds112

Help, we're stuck in our Hummer.

Post by todds112 »

Ha Ha, sent a Deputy up into the woods to help a couple guys stuck in their Hummer (H2). They called 911 when they burried it up to the axles. They just couldn't understand how their "invincible" truck got stuck. They said incredulously, "It has 4 wheel drive."

I didn't get to de-brief the Deputy, but I'm guessing the truck had lots of chrome on it. :roll:
1973 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Dealer ship in my back yard got one there railings in the parking lot
pinzwheeling

Re: Help, we're stuck in our Hummer.

Post by pinzwheeling »

todds112 wrote:Ha Ha, sent a Deputy up into the woods to help a couple guys stuck in their Hummer (H2). They called 911 when they burried it up to the axles. They just couldn't understand how their "invincible" truck got stuck. They said incredulously, "It has 4 wheel drive."

I didn't get to de-brief the Deputy, but I'm guessing the truck had lots of chrome on it. :roll:
They called 911? Why didn't OnStar come get them?

I had a couple of guys in a lifted, blinged out H2 stop by the dealership to check out the "Unimogs". When I showed them the Pinzies, they laughed and said that they would be useless off road with only 87HP. :roll: I gave them my card and told them to call me next time they get stuck.

The owner of the H2 stormed off, but his buddy seemed genuinely interested in the Pinzies. When I told him prices, he seemed shocked that I would ask that much for a 35 year old truck. I asked him how much his buddy had spent on his H2? He started to respond but then realized where I was going with the question, and just left.

Don't get me wrong; if I wanted to take a long trip somewhere where speed was important, an H2 would be a fine truck. I think it's important to spend $60,000+ on a lifted H2 to help support our economy...

I don't think they'll be back to buy a truck from me. :wink:
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
andy

Post by andy »

You can get a 710 stuck too. As a favor I went to check one of my customer's camping trailer's sky vent and shut it for him. Since I was going that far I figured why not fill a feeder on his neighbor's. Big mistake. Where I had about 1 1/2 inch a couple of days before that ranch had something to the tune of 7 1/2 inches. As I got within about 100 yards of the feeder I could see something shiny on the ground around it. By the time I had driven another 10-15 feet and the brush had cleared to the point I could tell it was water pooled under the feeder it was too late, my 710 broke through the crust and no amount of 4 wheel drive was going to budge it. After about a 3 mile walk out to the camp Momma came to pick us up.

Not being overly smart and desperate to retrieve my beloved 710 I went back the next day with my F 250 and a Warn 9500i winch. I got the F 250 stuck, but thanks to a user friendly telephone pole we got it out. I did manage to get the 710 out too...that time.

On the way out, I went wide with the 710 by where I stuck the F 250. Not too bad, so I went back to get the F 250. Obviously I didn't go wide enough for the F 250 because the right side sank in to the frame. No problem thinks I, because I have the 710 on the other side and can use it as an anchor. The 710 doesn't weigh enough to use as an anchor on damp grass and weeds, the winch started dragging the 710. Fine, says I to me, I'll put the 710 behind the Ford on the caliche and see if that will work as an anchor.

Since my go round was blocked by the stuck F 250 I had to find another route on presumably dry turf. I went through the brush with the Pinz about 50 yards away from the stuck Ford when the Pinz broke through again. All 4 wheels down to the center tube. The only added twist now is I have both trucks stuck about 50 yards apart parallel to each other headed in opposite directions. :oops: The winch will not do a 90 degree pull without messing something up. :roll: Another walk out, but this time all the way to the highway.

Come back the next day with the tractor and a snatch block. Put the bucket pointed down in the dirt and used the tractor as an anchor for the Ford. With the snatch block it worked like a charm. Got the Pinz unstuck too about an hour later and spent the next several hours schuffling vehicles to the gate.

At least I didn't have to call 911.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

OMG... I just about fell out of my chair. :shock: :D :lol:
Michael

andy

Post by andy »

It wasn't real funny at the time. I did find out that protein pellets for deer work fairly well to soak up water that seeps into the ruts. Water, which BTW is not visible until you break through the crust! :oops: I had silver dollar size blisters on the balls of my feet for two weeks afterwards from having to walk out twice with wet boots. Daughters number 1 and 3 were ready to mutiny because of the gnats which buzzed around in mini clouds.

Out here a wrecker will NOT come out on a ranch. Which means you call someone with a backhoe and or a bulldozer. Real expensive. Been there done that, got the T shirt, bumper sticker, and the family heirloom quality coffee cup. :wink:
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Yes anything can get stuck, but some people (perhaps H2 drivers more than others) don't realise this!

Also being self reliant at getting yourself out is important which is why when travelling as a solo vehicle I'm always really cautious off-road, much more so than when out with others (especially Pinzs)
andy

Post by andy »

Usually when you see water or mud you can prepare for it, either go into 4 wheel drive or turn around, something. These places do not even look wet. There is a crust on the surface and the water is practically flowing underneath.

I was just back at that particular ranch about an hour ago and the place where I originally got the Pinz stuck is still damp and tacky enough to where your boots pickup mud. The other places are moist but will support the weight of a vehicle.

Hard to believe in West Texas where we are lucky to get 18 inches of moisture a year normally.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

The MOST fun you can have is to recover a "larger" vehicle with a Haflinger :D
.... and then you get the added entertainment of watching all the people razzing hell out of the driver when it's all over !!! :twisted:

Over the years I've recovered a number of "full sized" vehicles with the Haflinger......The owners laugh at first, but it's amazing what you can do with 28hp, two diff locks, a crawler gear and the kinetic energy stored in a couple of Snatchum-Straps!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
andy

Post by andy »

Peter, I bet that would be fun to watch. Might even learn something.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Haven't done it in a Haflinger, but I agree that much fun is to be had at others expense when you pull out trucks, Jeeps, etc after watching them decide that having monster tires and lift blocks should be enough to get them over obstacles.

Don't get me wrong, I frequently stick myself in stoopid (sic) situations where most drivers could get by in a Honda Civic. ;)

My biggest worry is that now that I have a 712 instead of a 710, observers will assume that I have some kind of wheeling ability. What they don't realize is I got a 712 to make up for my shortcomings! :)
Michael

todds112

Post by todds112 »

Andy wrote:It wasn't real funny at the time. I did find out that protein pellets for deer work fairly well to soak up water that seeps into the ruts. Water, which BTW is not visible until you break through the crust! :oops: I had silver dollar size blisters on the balls of my feet for two weeks afterwards from having to walk out twice with wet boots. Daughters number 1 and 3 were ready to mutiny because of the gnats which buzzed around in mini clouds.

Out here a wrecker will NOT come out on a ranch. Which means you call someone with a backhoe and or a bulldozer. Real expensive. Been there done that, got the T shirt, bumper sticker, and the family heirloom quality coffee cup. :wink:
I've heard of that in the desert too. Looks like a nice dry wash then suddenly you're up to the frame in muck. Scary.
1973 712M
russ

Post by russ »

I know what you mean, Florida mud can be deceiving when it's dry. I actually knew it was bad here but that of course is the fun. Had a Mog to pull me out. He also got stuck and I returned the favor.

No that's not me in the pic but I didn't sink in either... :)

Pic as I'm getting pulled/driving out. BTW, those are LTB-08s

If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

I think the best recovery vehicle out there is a Unimog 406 equipped with a PTO and/or hydraulic winch(es). I used mine to extract two vehicles stuck on the edge of a lake. After 7.5 hrs we were able to chain them to the rear of the Mog and a Landcruiser and dragged them to the nearest road. For 7.5 hrs, I used my front PTO winch to work the two vehicles around/between trees. The Mog had to be repositioned every 2 to 3 pulls. The short wheel base and good steering angle was invaluable. If I could put the tires between trees, the Mog would go thru. Also, the Mog height helped with the 3.5 ft deep water.

On the way out I even got stuck in the soft forest floor. Buried the Mog down to the axles with a dead Jeep chained to it. The front PTO with 140-ish feet of cable played out, and it dragged us both to solid ground.

Kimball
1979 712M
andy

Post by andy »

WOW! So now besides a 712M I need to put a Unimog 406 with a PTO on my list of "I need vehicles" for the wife. Actually a Unimog or a Ural with a PTO winch would come in handy out here in light of the fact that wreckers will not go out on the ranches. I already know the name of my company when I get something like that: Ranchrecker :roll:
A bar F
The buck STARTS here