Reliability Issues!

All things not relating to the other forums.
David Dennison

Reliability Issues!

Post by David Dennison »

On a scale 1 to 10, can folk tell me just how reliable Pinzgauer's really are? (1 being crap and 10 being Never broken down)
EuroTruck

Re: Reliability Issues!

Post by EuroTruck »

David Dennison wrote:On a scale 1 to 10, can folk tell me just how reliable Pinzgauer's really are? (1 being crap and 10 being Never broken down)

Before we can answer your question, please answer ours:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you maintain your vehicles? (1 being you don't and 10 being you know your parts guy's children's Birthdays :D )

My point being, if you buy a Pinz and then neglect the maintenance, it won't be very reliable. Reliability is directly related to how you take care of this fine machine.

-Sean P.
EuroTruck Importers, LLC.
Odd-Ball Trucks and Parts
770-965-3311
www.eurotruck-importers.com
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Look at it from this perspective, the trucks are 30-35 years old, and still run great. Like Sean says, the maintenance is critical to being mostly problem free.

Also, without regular use Pinzgauers tend to get cranky. If driven on a regular basis, they don't seem to have any real problems. When they sit for long periods of time (months) that's when issues seem to pop up for me.

Regardless, it's a very rare occasion in my experience to have a Pinz "break down". They will have little things go bad occasionally, breakers and carb linkages come to mind, but if you carry about $50 worth of spares, you'll never get stuck.

I would rate them at about an 8 overall, but what are we comparing them to? If compared to a similar vintage Jeep, I would rate them a 10, but if comparing them to a brand new Toyota pickup, I would rate them a 6.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
75pinz

Pinz

Post by 75pinz »

I have had 9 of them at this point. They have all started out needy except for two of them. After some TLC, they are very reliable especially if you drive them regularly. All of the ones I have purchased have sat for some time I think except for the two that didn't have any problem, one of them is a 4x4 that i got locally recently that was in good working shape and runs better than any of them I have had before.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I have a habit of constantly fussing with my 710M's. I'm usually only doing preventative maintenance on them- changing fluids, filters, upgrading ANYTHING that becomes an issue. Mine have gotten much better since I bought them. They start right up, idle better, run smoother and quieter now. They like to be driven daily, but they don't seem to like wet weather very much.

I'd give them an 8 out of 10. Just because of the nagging "gremlins" that are seemingly unsolvable, even after going to multiple different mechanics, AND using the entire brain trust on this board. I will spend WHATEVER it takes to solve my gremlins...I mean it....this is becoming a joke!
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

I think useability is the relationship between reliability and fixability. I wondered through the maximog pages mentioned in another post and couldn't help but think how in the world would you fix it in the middle of no-where. So whilst the pinz is perhaps not the most reliable vehicle in the world it is very field repairable meaning you are unlikely to be totally stuck with a broken truck.

Saying that I've never had any issues with mine including 4500km across europe this year. It did consume oil a bit which would have been a big problem if I didn't check it every day, as they say a wee bit of preventative care goes a long way.
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

I would agree with the 8 rating. I base this upon having driven my Pinz back from the dealer I bought it from. The only thing that broke was my speedometer! I just kept filling up the tank when necessary, added about 3/4 qt. of oil about half way and three days later I was home having driven through desert heat, mountain air, thunderstorms with massive down pours and finally to the ocean waters of Puget Sound. A total of 1130 miles.
That is realiable enough for me! Most of the work I have done on my truck has been maintenance and age related work to stabilize age related parts and systems.
1975 710M
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I drove mine home 900 miles in sub-zero temperatures. Parking brake locked up once. That was my first "real" repair once I got her home.

Most of my "repairs" have been fixing small leaks, or cleaning up electrical connections. The rest has been cleaning, lubing, adjusting, repeat.

My only break-down was self-inflicted. I took the fuel pump apart to clean it and replace gaskets. Put a part in wrong and it self-destructed. One rebuild kit later and it was all good.

I'ld have to say 8 too. In comparison to other off road vehicles I've played with: Jeep CJ's-7, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon ('03)-9.5. Now ease of repair when things do go wrong: CJ: 6, Wrangler: 7, Pinz: 9.

Now routine maintenance needs (10 being most needed), I'ld say CJ:7, Wrangler: 4, Pinz: 9.
1973 712M