Best/Worst upgrades for pinzgauers???!!!

All things not relating to the other forums.
Twin Pinzies

Best/Worst upgrades for pinzgauers???!!!

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Now that these trucks have been legally imported into the US for some time now, we've had a chance to see some stock rigs take on drastic changes from their original bone-stock military form.

Here are some of my favorites:
- Electronic ignition.
- Radial tires. (slightly larger)
- Better front seats.
- Lighting; halogen headlights, reverse, side markers, and DOT tail lights.
- Horse matts in the rear bed.
- Lami-glass windshield.
- Hub steps.
- Steering wheel cover.
- Paint!
- Real bumpers with winches.
- Flex-pipe exhaust upgrade.
- Civilian windshield wipers.

Here are some silly (in my opinion) upgrades:
- Engine swaps. Pinzies don't NEED more power, you need driving skills!
- 12volt converters. What accessories do you need? A radar detector? Ha!
- Power steering. Not worth the cost and engine power loss.
- Fuel injection. I hate screwing w/carbs and fuel pumps too, but $1,400?
- Faster turn signal flasher. This is not a joke!
- Powered washer fluid sprayer. This is not a joke either!
- CB radios. Welcome to the 21st century!
- CD stereo system. I'd rather hear the truck than a skipping disc!
- Air compressor. Besides (rarely) airing the tires down, why have one?
- Hard tops mounted on canvas top models. Buy a 'K' instead!
- Air conditioning. Buck-up buttercup!

I bought a 710M that had all the "silly" upgrades but none of the useful ones. I had to "gut" the entire electrical system and remove all of the electronic garbage that the previous owner installed in order to trouble-shoot a battery draining problem. Guess what, if you want it to remain reliable truck, don't mess with the Pinzgauers electrical system!
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Actually the EFI is a very good upgrade as it greatly improves cab air quality by eliminating gas smell in the cab(no carbs to boil down in hot weather), emits less green house gasses, does not load up on severe inclines and never needs to be re-sync'd or have loose bases to be re-tightened. Fuel economy is as good or better depending on driving habits. As for stereo's, a good Ipod with noise cancelling headphones is a simple and portable solution.
Aside from EFI and good tires, I find the next best upgrade was the 24v Volvo coffee pot I installed to satisfy my caffeine addiction :P
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A Pinz needs only 3 items for US roads.
1) Almost any other tire than the Maloyas
2) Petronix,
3) Lami windshield (if the Swiss hadn't replaced it already)

Anything else is a "woolie" item....... Something to make the owner feel warm and fuzzy.. :D

And if you can't live without any of the other stuff, you shouldn't have bought a Pinz in the first place.

I have a different phrase than Buttercup... :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

[Air conditioning. Buck-up buttercup!
Just because you can't reach the grapes doesn't mean they're sour!! :lol: :lol:

Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Dave,
Geez, I knew you were opinionated, but did you forget to have your morning caffeine? :shock:

Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Jim...So your the one that finally ended up with it. Hows the coffee? I never got to try it out. Post a pic of it so I can see that someone finally got good use out of it.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Man I thought we lived in America where cutomizing your trucks/cars was a good thing. I really enjoy the little creature comforts. They might not be necessary but they sure make the truck nice. The other items that just enhance the Pinz experience are there for fun and that is what it is all about.
Mike
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

This is a great question, and really depends on so many things, like where you live, the type of driving you are doing and mostly how much money you have to spend!

Air conditioning - not for me but if its really hot where you are I can see the attraction.

Power steering - not for me but if you have put big tyres on and are not so strong then I can see the need.

Winches - not for me ( I do have a hi-lift?!) but if you are wanting to be able to self rescue or rescue others in extremes it could be useful.

Different seats - not for me, I like to be able to hose out the inside without the worry of wet seats, but if you have a big backside it might make for more comfort.

Putting a soft top on a K or a hard top on an m, not for me, I chose a K because I wanted a hard top and locking doors and like the layout. It makes sense though if you are on a limited budget, m's are cheaper even if you factor in a after market hard top. If you like the layout of a K but want a soft top the reverse is true.

Better lights - not for me, I've been suprised just how good the standard ones are. Maybe it gets darker elsewhere!!!

Petronix - not for me, I really don't consider this an upgrade, but a way to run cheap plugs.

I have put a central mirror in and put a wee reversing light on and the mayolas are coming off next week. I have also insulated the top and done a few modifications to suit like my camp bed in the back and half width table for cooking etc. A few of these dot-it type LED lights for the interior and safety stuff like fire extinguishers. And yes I re-painted the truck.

I love to read about the mods everyone is doing its part of what is fun about the forum.

Oh .... one last thing, what's the problem with the wipers? I just put in new blades when needed.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Everyone has their own opinions on upgrades, and I guess it's somewhat dependant on the usage and type of terrain that the vehicle is primarily found in ..... Personally I agree with a lot of the things on "Twin Pinzies" list, but I'd also disagree with a few.

Electronic ignition...... Agree

Radial tires ....For my usage an aggressive "cross ply" serves the purpose better, but if I was using it for touring, a radial would be the way to go.

Better front seats.....Agree (I, well my bottom and my back love my Recaro's)

Lighting; halogen headlights, reverse, side markers, and DOT tail lights ....Headlights definitely need upgrading.

Horse matts in the rear bed..... I prefer Aluminium tread plate, but it's a personal choice.

Lami-glass windshield.....Definitely

Hub steps......Personally I hate the things, and the day I can't climb in the Pinny without them is the day I'II sell it!

Steering wheel cover.....Well Steering wheel improvements (Refer below) :wink:

Paint .... Agree

Real bumpers with winches.....Definitely

Flex-pipe exhaust upgrade .... Definitely

Civilian windshield wipers ... Agree

Here are some silly (in my opinion) upgrades:

Engine swaps. Pinzies don't NEED more power, you need driving skills! .... Well the 2.7 litre uprade is GREAT, but apart from that I'd agree

12volt converters. What accessories do you need? A radar detector? Ha!..... A full 12V system suits my needs better.

Power steering. Not worth the cost and engine power loss....Now this is the one I'd totally disagree with, BUT I can only talk about it in regards to the 712 ..... I was a little dubious at first, but now I wouldn't live without it.
We do a lot of short, hard tracks here, with mud and rocks etc where a LOT of manouvering is required around trees and other obstacles and PS really turns the 712 into a usuable vehicle in this situation......I remember the day's when I had manual steering and now, when I go on a trip with other Pinny's and do tracks as described above, and I see the others work their arms off manouvering around to get the correct line (at times it's almost impossible to turn the wheel if it's in a rut etc) and I smile and think I wouldn't go back to a manual setup for all the "tea in China"

Fuel injection. I hate screwing w/carbs and fuel pumps too, but $1,400? .... I've had no trouble with the carby's, but then again I spent a lot of time rebuilding them properly in the early days.
However, fuel injection is probably my next big project on the Pinny

Faster turn signal flasher. This is not a joke .... Maybe

Powered washer fluid sprayer. This is not a joke either ...Agree

CB radios. Welcome to the 21st century! ....We mainly use UHF and VHF but I haven't used my 27MgHz for years now!

CD stereo system. I'd rather hear the truck than a skipping disc ... Agree

Air compressor. Besides (rarely) airing the tires down, why have one? .... "Airing down" is the first thing we do when we hit the tracks and of course you have to "air up" at the end of the day to drive home.
I had a Thomas for years, but it takes about 30 minutes to blow up all 6 tyres after a day in the bush, so I now carry a small petrol air compressor in the vehicle all the time.....It's the best thing since sliced bread! :wink:

Hard tops mounted on canvas top models. Buy a 'K' instead! .... Agree...I love my canvas top!

Air conditioning. Buck-up buttercup .... Hmm.... I somewhat agree, but when driving in Australia's Summer (up to 45C/113F in the shade, even hotter in the Centre) I DO think it would be lovely! .... I'II probably wuss out and fit it at some stage!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
norcal pinz
United States of America

Re: Best/Worst upgrades for pinzgauers???!!!

Post by norcal pinz »

in no particular order
lightweight starter from expedition imports
LED headlights/ taillights
new tires
electronic ignition
winch / bumper
optima batteries
waxoyl undercoating
locking gas cap
air compressor
(that gear modification ) how many of you guys have that ?
Safety glass windshield
710M 1972
710k 1974
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Wow. Lots of opinions. It's my vehicle and I put on or take off whatever makes me feel comfortable. I am not a purest and I did not get this for a 'show vehicle" :D

I paint it with OD rattle can paint from WalMart. New (to me) seats from a Honda for my achy butt, cause I travel hundreds of miles. Like from Denver to Seattle to San Diego.
Got a winch...never used it. Retread tires from Treadwright, they are a dream to travel on. Doetsch shocks to replace the OEM things. Webasto heater (12V) and a converter to
run it (with cut off switch, Thanks Jim) ARB cooler for the beer after a day on the trail and to keep food for the trips. Sound deadening, cause it is a metal can. Home built insulation
for sound and temps in the winter. CB (old timer) and radio with CD changer from WalMart ($29) works good. Bottle opener added to the outside. Rear strobe flasher for mountain
travel and as a back-up light signal. Fan from an old computer for the cab, although it is not AC by any means. Front spot lights for night desert travel (hardly use them not that I am in Denver)
in SoCal. Various places for storage of small items.
Just installed expanded metal screens in the rear for a bit of security when I have to leave it for a bit. Really can't keep out anyone that really wants in. Also a great way to fasten camping
gear to keep it from bouncing around.
Just got a new starter and will replace the old one soon.

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Humidity + Horse mats = Rust.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

While I recognize the list is the opinion of the OP, I did not agree with the list then and don't agree with it now. Air compressors are great for blowing out the trail dust at the end of the day of wheeling and airing up tires (which happens a lot if you like a good ride when actually using the truck). CB is the only real universal means of communication at this time. Most people have them or can get them without a license and they are cheap, if you don't have friends to wheel with I guess it is not necessary but in our neck of the woods we run in packs. CD radio is almost a waste of time with the advent of the IPOD but some still use them and music on road trips is always a good thing. Air conditioning is nice (having seen it in action) just not something I have spent the time or money to have (chose swamp cooler as it works at campsite without truck running). 12v converter is a nice option for cab accessories but solar is much better for the accessories that are not specific to the cab or driving. hard top hybrids are a great way to go. I ran a hard top with soft sides for a long time. Nice to have an insulated top and a place to mount roof racks, solar panels, door tops etc.
Seems the guys who modify their trucks the most are the ones who actually use them the most. Look at Morris, lots of miles on that rig and some nice upgrades to make his life more comfortable.

Just my opinoin

4x4pinz (AKA mjnims)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

4x4Pinz wrote: Seems the guys who modify their trucks the most are the ones who actually use them the most.
I am still new, but unless guys keep their experiences offroad to themselves, I haven't seen many posts in that regard. No disrespect intended, but these trucks weren't made for highway trips. I haven't done much to mine, but I bought it to wheel with....it ain't a museum piece and if I break it, it will be on a trail, not on the slab.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

You should see the trucks in AZ. There are no unmolested rigs here at all. A quick glance through our facebook site (https://www.facebook.com/groups/388375935390/ ) will show you some of the modified rigs. I know many of us put lots of miles both highway and offroad on our trucks each year. I for one crossed the 17K mile mark earlier this year in my 712 and 35 nights staying in the truck while on the trail just this year alone.