My trip to get my PINZ and drive it home

All things not relating to the other forums.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

yeah it's going to be around 3500-3700 miles total. :roll: :roll: Must be crazy

JB
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

You will have a blast. Just be prepared for any weather you might run into and be patient. By the time you get home you will be very comfortable in the Pinz ability to handle the highway (more than can be said for most pinz owners). I would be willing to bet that most of us can remember summer road trips in our families vehicles, which were in much worse shape than most pinzgauers, and they did fine.
Keep a journal and take lots of pictures, enjoy the trip
Mike
krick3tt

long trip

Post by krick3tt »

I did a ride from San Diego to Sheridan (NWMF) to Seattle, back through Eureka Nevada and back to San Diego. 3300 mi but it was in summer. Then back to Seattle to stay. Great trip. Put lots of miles on her and she was very smooth the whole way. I am going back to San Diego this summer, may take me several weeks, I like to see things along the way.
Enjoy your trip, stay safe.
I am not a fan of the cold so I do summer trips, although 104 near Death Valley is a bit of a PITA.

Morris
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Well in the summer I have my YAMMY

That's me on the left. My friends in the picture are from Australia and they were visiting their daughter and son inlaw in Boise when we took the picture...another great trip. :D

Tuscon to Whitehorse :roll:
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

It sounds like you've gotten great advice from everyone here and Dennis will be handling the service items you need for your new Pinz. I can't over emphasis the need for headphones. I did a heli-skiing trip in the Bugaboos last year this time and I remember that the helicopter (Bell 212)and my 710M on the highway were just about as noisy! The Pinz may be louder!

Have a safe trip and enjoy your new toy.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Wow I must be really lucky and have a quiet truck, I can chat with my passenger at most any speed on road and off-road I can sneak up on people without them hearing!
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

My friends in the picture are from Australia and they were visiting their daughter and son inlaw in Boise when we took the picture
Yep, they look like Aussies! :D :wink:
Where were they from?
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Coral was born in Swan Hills and her husband Bill Swan (that seemed to work out) was born in Ontario Canada. They met teaching in a little town and I mean little - about 120 people - in Mayo about 3.5 hours north of Whitehorse Yukon. They have 2 great kids one in Boise Idaho (speach therapist) and one in Japan teaching tennis

They lived in Cairns, but have moved back to Canada and back to Ontario. Bill did his time in OZ and now it's time for her to do her's back in Canada...not sure how that's going to go over with Coral though...hates the cold. :cry:
JB
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Ok 5 more sleeps till I fly out to St Louis. then a 3 day conference and I'm off to Milwaukee to get my Pinz. Talked to Steve at Helwig Auto and they said I have a crack in the breather hose to the air cleaner which they will have fixed asap, but other than that she a go. New tires are mounted the winch is on...synthetic oil is in...so far no leaks.

Frick - I feel like a little kid....that's good right. Oh and the weather has finally changed - +2 yesterday. We changed 76 degrees F in 4 days CRAZY

Jer Bear
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Have a fun trip. Post some pictures from the road! Whitebird grade is still there and the snow will be sticking around McCall for a long time, but if I'm around I'll buy you a beer on the way through. I'm travelling a bunch at the moment so keep us posted.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Great I'm always thirsty. Hope you have some extra longsleeve shirts. I will probably give the ones away that I bought to the nice people that have helped me so far on my journey. Haven't met them yet, but they have worked on my Pinz and been very helpeful.

Anything you would like from the frozen north?? :wink:

Jer Bear
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I definitely don't need a lot more snow!
Heed

Post by Heed »

Jer Bear,

I read your posting about the plight of your Aussie friends moving back to Ontario....what were they thinking????

I love having a change of seasons here, and I am an avid skier, but at this time of year I always phone up my Mom and jokingly give her a hard time about immigrating to Canada instead of Australia!

They had a 50/50 choice when they left Northern Ireland....I dunno, maybe they didn't see the part in the brochure about enjoying frigid temperatures!! :shock:
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
andy

Post by andy »

Jer Bear, I can relate to feeling like a kid when it comes to waiting to get your Pinz. I was the same way. It was like when you were little and were waiting for your birthday or Christmas to roll around.

Heh, heh, it's about 47 F here and I do NOT want to go out. My mind will not imagine the temperatures you have.

Good luck on your journey and I hope it is a safe and enjoyable one for you.

Regards,
Andy
'75 710M
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

It's tropical here right now - Might have to use the freezer soon instead of the shed for the meat......Tee Hee.

Plus 2 is like the banana belt. I went to OZ and I want to go back to VISIT ONLY though. Met some wonderful wonderful people there, but fricken hot in some places and sweat is the only water you see in a day and then to the tropics figgin humidity where you start sweating while your toweling off after a shower. :P

No I'll take the YUKON. For all the severe things we have here I can visit the rest of the planet. Enjoy the time there and come home to a place where there are more bears than people. :D

It was funny in OZ. I met people that lived in areas where the snakes, toads, spiders, jelly fish, christ knows what else are poisenous and they thought I was crazy living where there were GRIZZLIES. :roll:

Man you can die there taking out the trash - or fishing. :?

No it's fine up here and I can't wait to meet some of you on the road home.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Jer Bear