A new purchase choice

All things not relating to the other forums.

What would you buy?

Pinzgauer 710m
83%
Volvo 303 4x4
11%
Landrover 101 GS
6%

Total votes: 36

ScottishPinz
Great Britain

A new purchase choice

Post by ScottishPinz »

OK so psychoman has asked what we think... lets see what the audience thinks....
Kirby

Can't vote

Post by Kirby »

I would love to vote....but the choice of 712 is not there!
Pinzing is AWESOME.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

For me, if only 4x4 are being considered it would be a choice between the 101 and the Volvo I think the 710 is too unstable when compared to the other two and does not have enough space in the living room. If 6x6 were to be considered than the choice would be more difficult but I would go with the Volvo. The 718K would sway me however and the very latest version off the Pinzgauer that is to be built in South Africa would suit me very well.

Interestingly the BUCHER DURO has not been mentioned, it seams to be a very fine truck with every thing that I need. Wonderfully made unit construction with easily changed pods, streamlined disc brakes, power steering, Turbo Intercooled Diesel, portal axles the list goes on. It is just a bit too big for my requirements.

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=26821
Anthony
GB
Doug Lennox

Post by Doug Lennox »

Being ex- military I have driven many Landrovers in various models, that's why I drive a Toyota LandCruiser so the Landrover is not an option. I haven't driven either the Pinz or the Volvo let alone seen one in real life here in North Queensland but I probably would sway towards the Pinz.
Doug

A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work!

67 Haf
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I have driven many Landrovers in various models, that's why I drive a Toyota LandCruiser
I've driven on and off road in Cruisers, that's WHY I own a Landrover! :D

As the 712 is not included in the option, it makes it difficult, but I'm an SDP fanatic so I'd have to say 710.

All that said both the 101 and the Volvo are nice vehicles, however I personally believe the 101 is not comparable to the others in "off road" ability.
If I was using it for a gun tractor or as a tow vehicle it's great and far better than the Pinny (I don't know about the Volvo) and it makes an ideal long distance tour vehicle for sleeping in a carrying heaps of gear, but in hard off roading situations it just doesn't seem to work that well.... Even when equipped with Swampers or the like! :wink:
It does however seem to go well in sand judging from my mates experience of using it for outback travels.
(It's also interesting watching the LR film of the prototype 101's crossing the Sahara desert)
The overall design and balance with the two leaf tapered spring setup, live axles and the lack of diff locks just don't seem to work that well in extreme environments, but the Volvo on the other hand is another matter.

Years ago I caught up with Alan Whiting at a Truck Show.
Alan was the official test driver for Volvo Australia in the 70's when it was competiting against the Pinzgauer (and the 101) for military sales.
I remember introducing myself as the "new" owner of the vehicle that Volvo competed against in the trials.
We struck up an instant conversation and an hour or so later I came away with a healthy respect the Volvo.

I understand after speaking to Alan and Barry Jones (Australian Agent for Pinzgauers) that neither vehicle had distinct or outstanding advantages, but rather ones strength in a particular area was soon eroded by the other vehicles in another area.

....so which one do you purchase?

Hmmmm....What about a HAFLINGER! :D

BTW...I do have two photocopies of articles written in an Australian Defence Magazine of the 70's (by Alan Whiting...he was/is also a journalist) of tests between the Pinzgauer, Volvo and FC101 ... they are rather "light on" but basically enforce what I have said above.
If anyone wants a copy drop me an email!
Last edited by Profpinz on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

I kept the choice down here to what psychoman seems to be considering, I voted for the Pinz although my own truck is a hard top and suits MY needs better. I did wonder if we had missed anything but TD Pinzgauers are far too expensive and things like the Bucher Duro and Mog are even bigger than the 101 never mind the Pinz. My dream collection would probably include an example of each of these vehicles as they are all interesting and capable.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

ScotishPinz
I am not sure of your definition of expensive is, but up to about a year plus ago, there were some reasonably priced 716Ks in Europe. The TDs that have been advertised for sale in the UK.... well some of those have been "through the roof' :roll: .

Having gone up through the ranks of Pinzes, I would say I would be hard pressed to sell a TD and go back to a 710 or 712. it would be like going back to a Series LR from a V8 Defender. :lol:

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hey Peter, I'll see your Haflinger, and raise you a Supacat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DD
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I'd just assume go for a 911 GT3 RSR if we're playhing that game!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Hey Peter, I'll see your Haflinger, and raise you a Supacat.
The Supacat sure is a nice vehicle, but at least I can legally drive a Haflinger on the road ...allbeit slowly! :roll: :wink: :D :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Heed

Post by Heed »

Texas Pinz;

Love the choice of 911...but it would have issues getting across that culvert in your avatar!! :wink:

I'd go with the "slow and steady" Pinz and be the "tortoise" that finishes the race.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Bryn Pinzgauer

Post by Bryn Pinzgauer »

And that leads me into a "spot the 4x4" question. Answers on a postcard...

Pinzgauer 710M
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

712?
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Thomas-E

Post by Thomas-E »

For me a 712, I love the one I have and would do it again!
(a diesel engine would be nice for the mileage though)

Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

The corect answer is that all three vehicles shown are 4X4.....
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494