I will soon be looking for a pinz- what do I need to know?

All things not relating to the other forums.
AZ_Dave

I will soon be looking for a pinz- what do I need to know?

Post by AZ_Dave »

I am planning on buying a pinz in the near future. I have been reading about things like red death and carb issues. Makes me think I should work on the gas tank and convert to fuel injection right off the bat. I will be driving at about 7000 feet mostly, but my range may be anywhere from 1000 to 9000 feet or so, mostly in the higher elevations. Any suggestions on this? Also, what do I need to keep in mind in buying a pinz? trying to decide on 710 vs. 712 what are pros/cons? Are you all using ex II upgrades? Does anyone know of a source for the upgrade parts? Any other suggestions anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will be running over vw buses in no time :twisted:
andy

Post by andy »

I'm not the most mechanical guy in the world but let me try. The red death thing I think percentage wise is fairly small, but I am also beginning to think it is like prostrate problems in men. Odds are sooner or later you will have a problem as it gets older.

I'd suggest you drive it for awhile and see if your truck really needs the ex II. From my readings the cost of that will approximate the cost of efi.

Parts, Thilos at www.mogsrus.com is in Prescott Arizona. Expedition Imports, you can click on their link here on the forum has good stuff and are good to work with. You also have Swiss Army Vehicles in Arkansas. See www.swissarmyvehicles.com. They are also very helpful. Another good source for advice and some parts is Linden Engineering. See www.lindenengineering.com. Dennis has experience in repair and works with quite a few higher altitude type vehicles.

I'll leave the 710 vs 712 issue to someone who knows about 712s. My 710 has done everything I have asked it to do.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Being that you live in AZ you should ask if you can go out on a outing with the pinz group there. I would think the 712/710 would be a personal thing i like my 712M. I would think red death is just what Andy described but Jim L. would be the best to answer as he works on them every day.
ka

Post by ka »

my 710m is WAY quicker than my old 712amb, more fun to drive. both run about the same as eaach other, mechanically, so it's just the weight and gearing diff. but off road the 712 was way nicer - lower cg and very smooth.

if you find an efi system that works please let me know! i broke my carbs.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

check out jim L Efi he has put some miles on it know and has reported good results
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

crAZ_Azhole
If I am not mistaken I have invited yo to come ot one of the meeitngs, next Tuesday night. I have both the 712 and the 710. While the 712 is much easier to drive offroad and requires less learning the 710 is more "fun" to drive. It provides a certain challenge that just does not exist in the 712. The 712 affords more room for things to be carried on camping trips and more passengers as well.
The exec II upgrade is something to be considered if repairs become necessary to the diffs. There are only a few of us running exc II's here and they were installed when work was done to the drivetrain. The sources listed in above post are some of your best bets for parts and advice.
The red death issue comes up now and again. It appears that when it strikes it is a PITA. I have not had to deal with it yet even though my tank took a hit, knock on wood. The 712 has a custom armored tank from CWR so the red flakes are not a problem.
There are several in the club here in the valley who regularly drive their pinzies at varying altitudes. You will need to find the altitude at which most of the driving is done and jet the carbs for that. The rest of the time the truck will run fine. I was just in Co for their treffen and we were up to almost 14K feet. The truck definately was not running at its best but I don't spend lots of time at that altitude so no need to compensate for it. The altitude does not affect the operation of a good running truck as much as people will lead you to believe. Don (tennessee) was at the treffen and his was set for sea level and it also worked great.

If you would like to get out and see the offroad difference first hand of each truck, drop me a note and we can find some time to get out. Looks like we will be doing the backway to Crown King on the 17th of August. I know you could get a chance to be behind the wheel of a 710 and a 712 on this trip.
Mike
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

So...I just realized my name i'm using on here is pretty stupid. :oops:
Thanks to everyone for their quick replies-this is a good group. Yes that is me you were talking to mjnims. I will be at the meeting so i'm sure many of my questions will be answered and then some. I'll be moving to FLG that weekend so may or may not be able to make it on that Sunday Crown King ride but I will definitely try. Last time I was on that road was in high school, went to recover my brother's 83 Blazer that had trans problems. Drove up there at midnight with him and my very p-ed off dad to fix it. Very fun though, he drove so fast back that he cracked his frame and broke a shock. I looked like this the whole way back :shock: . Would like to see what it looks like during the day.

Thanks for all your input, everyone. Look forward to meeting some of you.

Good I was able to change my name. Now I don't seem so much of a d bag
Last edited by AZ_Dave on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

It would be great to have someone in the Flagstaff area to scout out trails. We have not gone up there much as the territory is unkown to most of us. We have done the classic Sedona area runs(mostly very scenic). There used to be a guy in Flagstaff with a volvo and another one with the pinz but have not heard from them in a while. Once you get there I will have to pass their contact info on to you.
Mike
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

I have already found some decent spots in the area. Depending on how long of a trail we want to drive. During the winter and spring months it gets pretty muddy most places which I think is fun but some may not. Haven't done a whole lot but I've taken my two wheel drive nissan pickup through some trails you wouldn't believe possible to tackle with it (i have also gotten it stuck though). I know of one really incredible spot that ends up near a cliff where you can see the sedona cliffs from one side and a giant cliff/valley on the other. Absolutely stunning views and some really cool steep and rocky technical parts that we didn't want to try with that little truck so we hiked to the cliffs. Saw mountain lion, bear, and elk tracks there and saw several deer. Would be a great area for a summer camping trip as the highs there are usually the lows in phx in summer and it cools off really nice in the evenings.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Mike, you should post a link of some your outings. that pops up when you post. So some of the new guys can see how capable the pinz really is if your crazy enough to try.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I try to keep posting on youtube, username swpapresident, of some of our major outings. The SWPA is in the process of a major redesign of the website. We are just tired of it going down all the time and poor service from our provider. Hopefully in the next couple of months it will be back up. We did get lucky and manage to save most of the files so the pics will be there from previous trips.
So many fun trails here in AZ to play on. If anyone finds themselves here with or without a pinz let us know and we can get you out on as many as you have time for.
Mike
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Well... I started looking at forward control vehicles: LR101, Volvo 303 and Pinz 710. (See recent posts and a poll!

Having done more research and driven several of each.. I'm 90% sold on the 712.

Do I need 6x6? Nope.

Do I need the extra load space... maybe, but not really.

Do I want something different to anyone else nearby - hell yeah. 8)

Do I want something different that also kicks ass offroad? Hell yeah! :twisted:

So... I guess its gonna be a 712. Now negotiating on prices and specs!!!
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
andy

Post by andy »

You will enjoy the daylights out of whichever model you get. I've had a couple of Jeeps (CJ-7s and a CJ-5) Ford Broncos (old and new styles) various 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton 4 X 4 pickups and the Pinz just leaves them all behind for pure enjoyment and ability. Post pics when you get it.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Cheers Andy. Yeah - been froading for a while myself - Jeeps, Landies, Suzis, Diahatsu, Range Rover and Disco... but all 4x4! Which is why I think I'm drawn to a 6x6, to be honest....
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

I'm liking the 712 better and better too. Looks different, everyone seems to say it's better off road (not buying a pinz for road driving...duh), and the specs say it can carry more. Only problem I can see is that they have 6 tires to buy when getting new ones rather than 4. Seems like they would be better in snow and mud though which would be a major advantage to me. I guess they are a little slower which might make a difference when driving out to trails but oh well. Plus there is the advantage of not being able to fit on the emissions testing wheel thingy (a technical term i believe). What I am wondering is are the 712s full time four wheel drive?

Thanks for the input of pinz vs jeeps and such. That helps me a lot in knowing pinz is a good choice. Just need to decide which I want and find it now.