Shock Cords

All things not relating to the other forums.
IwanaPinz

Shock Cords

Post by IwanaPinz »

I need to replace a few shock cords.
1. Is there a ratio to the length you need to buy to the length that it needs to be when stretched out?
2. I also remember someone saying that there is an everyday tool that can be used to crimp the clamps. Does anyone know what that everyday tool is?
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

Don't really know exactly what the clamps you need to crimp look like, but just off the top of my head, a lot of wire strippers have a crimper tool built in. Also, those slip joint pliers (I think that's what they are called) may work if you are careful , the one all the way on the right in this picture: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... number=532
use the wider part of the jaw
I have never done this with these cords/clamps specifically but have run into this problem before. Depending on how ornery the clamp and the cords want to be, it may take some finessing but one of these ideas will probably work. can't think of any other real common tools to use off the top of my head. If you use flat jawed pliers and try to do it, you will likely end up with a mess.

let us know if you find something that works well
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Here is a link to the clamps and tool. These are not all that expensive. The rubber cord is available at upholstery shops. The cord is very inexpensive so a quick measurement following the old routing and add some extra, then cut to length.

http://www.eldonjames.com/html/clamps.html
Mike
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

ok those are a completely different clamp than I had pictured. Forget my earlier post

I guess these are the ones you are using?
http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/showde ... no=SAV2550
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The clamps that SDP uses ( and SAV sells) are hose clamps, and the " cleanest" way to climp them is with 'end nip ' pliers, but from the Swiss all the way through everyone else hands have use about any pliers they had.
There are pretty crimps, and there are those that just got the job done.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
krick3tt

hose clamps

Post by krick3tt »

AZ-Dave,
Yep, those are the ones I get from a hose repair shop down the road, also from SAV. I use end nippers to compress them. Same pliers I use to remove nails from the back side of base board trim when I do woodworking.

Morris
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Yeah the clamps are just oetiker clamps. I use a tile nipper which is very similar to the tool the clamp company uses except it has carbide edges. Very easy and simple to install.
Mike
man on the mule

Post by man on the mule »

my mule suggested that i use his hoof nippers to compress the clamps . i oppted to use his shoe pullers(nail nippers) they worked great and since they arnt sharp like the hoof nippers ,they dont cut the clamps. just thought of something..... this info may not be of much value to those of you who dont shoe your own animals. yuk yuk
man on the mule. keep it real.