batterie talk

All things not relating to the other forums.
STPPINZ

batterie talk

Post by STPPINZ »

How do you guys maintain your batteries during the winter? I have 6 motorized vehicles with 9 batteries(pinz, 4 wheelers, lawn mower, RV etc) that all have batteries and I am tired of replacing them in the spring.

Do you use trickle chargers or what?
Wimps Need Not Apply
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

just drive them regularly. Great thing about being in a mild climate zone I guess.

On the serious side, for my boat I use a battery maintainer. It is hooked up on the boat and keeps the batteries fresh and charged for when I want to head out to the lake.
Mike
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

I use a solar battery charger for my Dodge CTD that sits mostly now.
Kimball
1979 712M
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I think if you hook up some solargizers to your batteries, they should be okay. eBay is a good source for them if your patient and look for a good deal.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Aaah,only 6 vehicles :!: :?: :wink:
I've been changing to Optima Red and Yellow tops as the lead acid batteries have gone bad. If there isn't a parasite draw, you can easily go 6 months between startups. Each of the vehicle also has an (externally mounted) innerconnect connector for for jumpstarting each other, plus for a maintainer charger and a high amp starter/charger ( with the same connectors).

I am also modifing a 3 pin connector ( for my 24v vehicles) to allow the 2 pin connectors to plug into to for jumping/charging either battery with 12v. The connectors are such that they cannot plugged in backward, plus I have alligator clip pigtails ( w/ polarity leds) to allow jumping to/from another person vehicle.

I'm a big fan of Plug n Go systems......I'm also too lazy to open the hood/hatch everytime :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Kirby

Harbor Freight

Post by Kirby »

Sorry no pictures but got this one (x7) at Harbor Freight ~ I use 2 on the boat, 2 on the Pinz, 2 for the Jet Ski's, one for my buddy's boat stored all in Havasu. Have used them for over 4 years, have not replaced a battery yet, and sometimes the boat sits on the charge for 3 or more months. I run them all through a Strip plug device in one way or another.

Chicago Electric Power Tools
AUTOMATIC BATTERY FLOAT CHARGER
Skip the aggravation of a jump-start by keeping your vehicle's battery fully charged.
Use on 12 volt batteries while in storage or during cold weather
Floating circuit maintains a full charge without overcharging
Automatic safety shutoff

10 ft. long leads with copper clamps
ITEM 42292-7VGA

Everything always starts.... :D
Pinzing is AWESOME.
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

Thanks for all the tips. Some good ideas out there.
Wimps Need Not Apply