Miles Pinz Restoration Progress (pic heavy-milestone thread)

All things not relating to the other forums.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

The work you did is exceptional. Congratulations.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Middlebury_Pinz
United States of America

Post by Middlebury_Pinz »

Beautiful work Miles!!! Can't wait to see it all done.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Thanks again everyone, this heats killing me but I still push on.

Morris, those vents came off of some Tractor wrecks that were totaled out. I think they were from Peterbuilts. If you have any place locally that salvages Tractors and or heavy equipment, they should have a variety of them. These open both ways either up or down.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
andy

Post by andy »

But Miles, it's Vegas, that's a dry heat. :lol:

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

milesdzyn wrote:Well the roll-on liner took 5hrs to apply from start to finish.
I just directed a potential new 712 owner to this thread...... so he could see how it looks and how its done :D

But you got me curious now... Do you recall the brand name and details for this liner?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Mike

The Dupli-color bed liner was purchased by the gallon, at Walmart, however they don't carry it any more. They do carry the same product made by Rustoleum, haven't used it but it should be the same.

Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

thanks :D , I'll need to see if anyone sells anything like that over here. Seen it discussed on US sites before but not gone searching as yet over here.

Pity can't post paint internationally anymore :cry:
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Nice to see a true metal craftsman in these times of plastic bog and pop rivits.
Great job Miles!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Skeej

Post by Skeej »

milesdzyn wrote:Mike

The Dupli-color bed liner was purchased by the gallon, at Walmart, however they don't carry it any more. They do carry the same product made by Rustoleum, haven't used it but it should be the same.

Miles

Hi Miles, another fan following your work closely here

thanks!

SKEEJ
Last edited by Skeej on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Build Looks Great

I just got a 712M my self so I'm looking at borrow some of your ideas.

I've herculined a jeep before and it comes out great and yours looks great also just have to find out on the durability of the product at walmart

Couple of questions for you. What are your storage containers that fit so nicely in the middle?

You used steel channel for your rub rails what size did you use?(This is what I plan to do)

Any thoughts on putting some angle iron behind it so the angle would go under the lip of the body and give you more support for high lift jacking?
milesdzyn wrote: Also replaced all the 6mm rub rail nutserts with 10mm nutserts for extra strength, well worth the effort.

Miles
Where did you get the 10mm nutsert any pics do they rivet on or press in?

Thanks
Sean
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Skeej....

1. Well the liner is holding up very well. I did scrape it up in two spots due to dropping the hard top down on it off the fork lift; this was early on before the product had fully hardened. The alignment bars for the top are sharp and literally cut the material away, I don't think it would do the same now that the material has been on for a year. There was no lift in the surrounding material and I will patch the area to level it off.

As for sound dampening any thick material attached to the metal will help. Now for the heat, I've enclosed the back with the hard top and closed off the window openings. Lately we've been hitting 108 deg's here in Vegas so the interior should be hitting 130+. I've seen no softening in the material; it remains very hard and has no tacky feel to the touch.

My first test was on wood, plywood to be exact, and it held good enough to pull parts of the plywood away when I finally tried to peel it away. It held better to wood than to metal. I also tested it to take color; using Tan Behr one part garage floor covering purchased at Home Depot. I rolled it on and it adhered with no problems, I did decide not to paint mine because it was in the bed and would get dirty to easily for such a light color. Ultimately the paint would wear away at the high spots, the rubber texture graduals added to the Bed Liner, making a black spotted pattern.

2. Still deciding on this myself, so I won't have an answer for you till later.

3. For the top, Interior and exterior, I will be using Kool Seal. Haven't heard of any problems with yellowing but I have heard that you can paint over it once it cures fully. I'll post some results when I do a test patch later on.

As for POR-15 I would not use it again, not due to how it turned out or performs, but just due to how much time and effort was involved. I agree that the Silver Bullet product sounds to be easier, but I can not comment on the results as I have never used it.

Sean....

The bed liner is holding up well so far as stated above.

The containers are military surplus medical transport/shipping containers; they are made of aluminum and are water/air tight.
They come in several sizes, mine are considered to be the medium size.

The steel channel I used is 3" and fits the side without overlap. I will update this post in a few days on the side rails, so check back in a week.

I got the nutserts off eBay but I have bought them online from McMaster Carr, I buy a lot from them as their shipping is reasonable with a fast turnaround time. They do press in I guess, You drill a hole press the insert in and use a tool to compress in down to capture it onto the sheet metal.

Good luck guys, Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I thought I would show the rub rail design and ramp concept before it was complete, as I won't be able to finish the ramp sections until later.

The rails were made from 3" C-channel but I made it modular for additional future purpose in mind. Basically each side is made of 3 sections, the sides are made of two equal lengths, while the back section wraps around to the side.

To make a functional ramp, I used both of the rails and added my home made sand ladder. The sand ladders will get structural cross ribbing welded in and 45 degree ramp ends added on. The whole assembly gets bolted together using 10mm all thread converted into bolts.

As for the holes in the rub rails they are equally spaced to accept a channel that wraps around the outside of the C-channel and pins or bolts into place. Could be for adding a work surface, Wash basin, Bench Vise, Ect.

Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
Skeej

thanks

Post by Skeej »

very interested in more detail on the sand ramps - too sweet! :D
Last edited by Skeej on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profpinz
Australia

Re: Miles Pinz Restoration Progress (pic heavy-milestone thr

Post by Profpinz »

Any pics of the latest stages of the rebuild Miles!
The bodywork rebuild was most interesting and I look forward to seeing the finished shots.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
milesdzyn

Re: Miles Pinz Restoration Progress (pic heavy-milestone thr

Post by milesdzyn »

Sorry for the lack of posting updates, lots of crap to deal with.

The roof rack: made from tube and economy elbows welded together, got me the look I was after and made it easy to fab with enough strength for a rack.

First I fabbed the side rails and mounted them.

Then I welded in the cross members.

Also got started on the rear interior, there will be mass storage along the sides. Four military transport chests get mounted and locked down on both sides.

Then I got some storage lockers and cut them down and adjusted the back to profile with the Pinz. There will be three per side toward the rear for everyday use stuff.

Getting more time to work on it so I should be more regular in my updates.

Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M