Looking for Pinzgauers Owners in Minnesota

All things not relating to the other forums.
Ken A

Looking for Pinzgauers Owners in Minnesota

Post by Ken A »

Hello,

I know some of the owners of Pinzgauers in Minnesota but I recently saw a new one in the Minneapolis area and with so few of us in MN I wanted to get a thread out there so that we could discuss local solutions and get together some time.

Please post your truck and or email me and I will pass it on to the others that respond in the area.

Thank you.

Ken Anderson
’71 710K
esssar@comcast.net

indigoth

that would probably be me

Post by indigoth »

I bought my 710M from a gentleman in Iowa last september and have been driving it often.

I work in eagan and live near the uptown area in minneapolis and so I'm often on cedar, hwy 62, & hwy 55
lrowner

Post by lrowner »

I wonder if you can help, I moved from England 3 years ago to Minnesota and I am member of the Minnesota Land Rover Club ( I have 4 including one prototype military lightweight).Coming from England I was used to seeing the Pinzgauer in use with the British Army.

My knoweldge of Land Rovers is pretty good, but I am looking to add a new vehicle to my collection, and like the Pinzgauer 710M and 710K because of the flexibility, quality of Engineering and off road capability.
I have been doing my research , hearing about common problems, where they rust, etc.
How are they to drive on road at 60 MPH? I can see they are excellent off road, after driving 1955 Land Rovers where heaters and wiper are optional extras, my elbow hits the door everytime I turn a corner, I have a high pain threshold especially after 300 miles
Also is the vehcile a good tow vehicle ( I know the UK army use them as Artillery tow vehicles) and is the hardtop or Ambualnce version practical as an overland camper?
I live in Wayzata MN, are there any Pinzgauer owners close, I really would like to have a look at one and get some honest feedback.
Many thanks
Dave Allton
Radar4xfour

Post by Radar4xfour »

Dave,

I have a 710K in Lakeville that you are welcome to look at, there is a little info about it here:

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... php?t=6014

Even if it's not within your price range or your are not ready to purchase now it's good to look at few up close to see what they are all about.

Regards,

Radar
lrowner

Post by lrowner »

Radar
Please call me on 952 807 5068.
I can visit the vehicle any weekend.
Many thanks
Dave
Dave Allton
pohlease

Re: Looking for Pinzgauers Owners in Minnesota

Post by pohlease »

Any Minnesota Owners still on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joeri
Belgium

Re:

Post by Joeri »

lrowner wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm I wonder if you can help, I moved from England 3 years ago to Minnesota and I am member of the Minnesota Land Rover Club ( I have 4 including one prototype military lightweight).Coming from England I was used to seeing the Pinzgauer in use with the British Army.

My knoweldge of Land Rovers is pretty good, but I am looking to add a new vehicle to my collection, and like the Pinzgauer 710M and 710K because of the flexibility, quality of Engineering and off road capability.
I have been doing my research , hearing about common problems, where they rust, etc.
How are they to drive on road at 60 MPH? I can see they are excellent off road, after driving 1955 Land Rovers where heaters and wiper are optional extras, my elbow hits the door everytime I turn a corner, I have a high pain threshold especially after 300 miles
Also is the vehcile a good tow vehicle ( I know the UK army use them as Artillery tow vehicles) and is the hardtop or Ambualnce version practical as an overland camper?
I live in Wayzata MN, are there any Pinzgauer owners close, I really would like to have a look at one and get some honest feedback.
Many thanks
There is a big difference between the 710 s and the ones the uk used pinzgauer.....as they never used anny petrol pinzgauers, they had the later TD pinzgauers (716M / 716 Mk and 718 ) with the 2.5 TDI engines. They are the upgraded version of the petrol ones, but for me driving off road the 710 just feels better.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

</s>There is a big difference between the 710 s and the ones the uk used pinzgauer.....as they never used anny petrol pinzgauers, they had the later TD pinzgauers (716M / 716 Mk and 718 ) with the 2.5 TDI engines. They are the upgraded version of the petrol ones, but for me driving off road the 710 just feels better.<br/>
<e>
The 710/12 and 716/18 series have had lots of differences . The T cases, the axles/portals are different, including respective body lengths and wheelbases, besides the engines, trans and brakes. Too many people think that a diesel makes a TD, far from true
The original TDs made in the UK were P93's with the 2.4TD. ATL's partnering with Roush Technology later introduced the 2.5TDI in the Pinzgauer along with ABS, EBD and ETC. <br/>
ATL never had any licensing rights for the gas Pinzgauer or spare parts, only for the 716/18s. My dealings with ATL went back to 2002 when I got my 716, and ended when BAE, Sealy sold me my LHD, 2.5TDI 718K in 2014. Interestingly, back in '02/03, while talking to a rep at ATL, he was telling me of a program ATL had to re-power P80s and P90s up to a P93 in-house, but nothing at the time for the new 2.5 TDI
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

David Dunn wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:14 pm
</s>There is a big difference between the 710 s and the ones the uk used pinzgauer.....as they never used anny petrol pinzgauers, they had the later TD pinzgauers (716M / 716 Mk and 718 ) with the 2.5 TDI engines. They are the upgraded version of the petrol ones, but for me driving off road the 710 just feels better.<br/>
<e>
The 710/12 and 716/18 series have had lots of differences . The T cases, the axles/portals are different, including respective body lengths and wheelbases, besides the engines, trans and brakes. Too many people think that a diesel makes a TD, far from true
The original TDs made in the UK were P93's with the 2.4TD. ATL's partnering with Roush Technology later introduced the 2.5TDI in the Pinzgauer along with ABS, EBD and ETC. <br/>
ATL never had any licensing rights for the gas Pinzgauer or spare parts, only for the 716/18s. My dealings with ATL went back to 2002 when I got my 716, and ended when BAE, Sealy sold me my LHD, 2.5TDI 718K in 2014. Interestingly, back in '02/03, while talking to a rep at ATL, he was telling me of a program ATL had to re-power P80s and P90s up to a P93 in-house, but nothing at the time for the new 2.5 TDI
Well they did.....as the steyr M14 engine is now offered as the replacement/ upgrade for the p80,p90 and p93 models. Its been around 3 years when i did visit SGB pinzgauer in the U.K and Gregor hold me he was werking with s- tec to get these engines in the pinzgauer, i think he did 2 or 3 til now. One downside is that this is a verry expensive upgrade. :?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Joeri
You are confusing the manufacturer with aftermarket fabrication/customizing companies.
There has been several people doing re-power work/upgrades on Pinzgauers.
SGB is a fabricator not an auto manufacturer.

As ATL/BAE closed their doors in 2009, the only possibility of a NEW manufactured Pinz might be S-Tec, ( or BAE restarting the line… unlikely) but what has been coming out of S-Tec has been reworked/customized older trucks. Most notably, The recent 718K built for Arnold Schwarzenegger which is a 1988 P80. No matter what, a re-worked truck will always be a re-worked truck. Not necessarily a bad thing as the changes may be an improvement.

Though I think the M14 engine would be a nice "upgrade" for a TD Pinz, it was not original to the manufacture of the production line.

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I am not denying the installation of the M14 engine as a re-power in a Pinz , it cannot be considered a new manufactured vehicle.
I had gotten word years ago SDP having installed a M14 (or M16?) into a 718. Anyway you look at it, a customized vehicle and not a production vehicle.