Carnage at MogFest

All things not relating to the other forums.
pinzwheeling

Carnage at MogFest

Post by pinzwheeling »

Wow, what to say? For those of you who attended Calico MogFest, you were treated to a rare occurrence. No, I’m not talking about the great food, the camaraderie and the wonderful people who are regular attendees as well as the newcomers we get to meet every year. The occurrences are normal at MogFest and we look forward to them every year!

No, for the first time I’ve seen, dozens of attendees got together to help out what seemed to be a pretty dire situation, sacrificing most of (if not all of) their trail riding and planned activities for the day. What am I talking about? Well…

On Saturday, on what turned out to be the best weather for a MogFest in my four years attending this awesome event, there was severe trail breakage in a really bad area. A Pinzgauer 712 attempting to climb some of the stair steps on the Doran trail (which seemed to be a much more interesting trail then in previous years) managed to break not one, but two axle housings in a space of about 2 seconds while perched in the middle of the obstacle. I’m sure many of the attendees will share hundreds of pictures of the semi-catastrophe, but I will share the story, as I was the dolt who managed to achieve the dubious honor of the worst trail breakage ever at MogFest.

After attending the Friday scenic run with absolutely zero issues, I decided that on Saturday, that my wife and I (who was attending for the first time this year. :oops: ) would go play on the Doran trail which was the medium trail. About 4 miles into the trail, as we attempted to climb the second set of stair steps, the right front and right middle tires started contacting the body of the truck, which in turn caused the tires to try to climb up the Pinz… Something had to give, and it both axles’ housings actually spun around, tearing the housings around the locating bolts. Suffice to say that the trail run for my wife and I were done.

I’m not sure exactly how many people helped out in this nine hour extraction, which entailed dragging the now crippled truck down two sets of stair steps backwards, doing a turn table maneuver involving two other vehicles to spin us around forwards and then finally getting the big Unimogs to drag our sorry rear ends through the tight canyons back to camp. Not to mention the crew working on the truck which was now holding the axles in place with bits and pieces to make its humiliating journey back to camp in one piece.

The damage? Two axle housings, one brand new tire, one locker actuator, both front and rear bumpers are a write off and guess what? The truck will be back right as rain in the next month. When you see the pictures, make sure to check out the angle of the front tire, I guarantee it’s a different view of then you have seen before.

The upside was that we got to see the dedication and camaraderie of this group first hand in helping out a friend in need. The other upside was that for the first time, we didn’t have to wait in line for dinner on Saturday night; some of the thoughtful folks back in camp sent us up some hot brats and other foods so that we wouldn’t miss out.

I want to thank everyone involved, there are so many to thank that I won’t single out anyone for fear of minimizing anyone else’s contributions. You guys and gals made what could have been days worth of extrication much easier and quicker and helped my wife to keep her sanity.

Btw, if you have pictures, please send them to mike@ramonamotors.com and once again, our heartfelt thank you to everyone who helped us out, we couldn't have done it without you!
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Ditchdigger

Post by Ditchdigger »

Wow! Sounds like an unstoppable force met an unmoveable object and it tried to eat itself. Good thing for friends!
Need pictures for the full effect ( I know you were probably a little busy).
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Ditchdigger wrote:Wow! Sounds like an unstoppable force met an unmoveable object and it tried to eat itself. Good thing for friends!
Need pictures for the full effect ( I know you were probably a little busy).
I'm sure we'll see plenty. Pretty much everyone at MogFest was snapping them.
Michael

edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Michael, it was a great pleasure to meet you and yours at Mogfest. Happy to hear the damage should be handled in short order. I wonder if that spot in the trail will become known as “the Matador”.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

edzz wrote:Michael, it was a great pleasure to meet you and yours at Mogfest. Happy to hear the damage should be handled in short order. I wonder if that spot in the trail will become known as “the Matador”.

Ed
LOL. It definitely tamed the "bull".
Michael

andy

Post by andy »

Wow, Michael, very sorry to hear and see that story. I'm glad there were good folks out there to help extracate you from what was a messy situation.

I quite often have to go down into canyons, where the roads are stair stepped to fill a feeder and I frequently wonder if or when something like that will happen to me. I just did the canyon thing Sunday. The customer was in either a YJ or TJ jeep and had major problems with traction both going down and coming out. The 712, in low range, first gear and all the lockers engaged idled out of the canyon with close to 2,200 lbs of sacked corn in the back. Power steering would be a wonderful addition in a case like that though. The Jeep was spinning its tires going up the steps. At one point I thought the Jeep had lost it and was going to try the slope backwards, but the customer finally found traction.

Post pics when you are back on the road with your truck.

Andy

PS: Great pics by the way.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
krick3tt

mogfeat

Post by krick3tt »

Bill's photos and narrative was great as always. The video with sound is a nice add.

Really sad to see a pinz take such a beating. I remember that part of the trail and it seems to get a bit more of a problem every year. The Mogs do so well it doesn't really seem like a challenge to them.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Morris
ARVOps

Post by ARVOps »

Doran trail (which seemed to be a much more interesting trail then in previous years)
You made it interesting for the rest of us :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxqvjLMWxNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeULR4PC ... re=channel

To all who helped: Thank you!
sold 712AMB/M 2.7L Goatwerks Power! UglyDuck living the life in Alaska :(
I am pinzless.
I'm at Poway Jeep If you all need a hook up on a Cummins, Hemi, Or a Jeep. PM me.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Sounds like a great event. It also sounds like if you're going to have a heart attack, better to have it at the country club when all of the cardiologists are playing in a tourney!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

All in all, damage looks worse than it is :shock:
2 wheel drive housings,1 stop ring,1 boot and a couple of shock bolts :roll:
Had the rear locker not failed and the tires not hit the body, it would have made it up but still would have had to turn back. The next set of falls was very steep. I did not air down and had to get a slight pull from Erik and his 6X to get up the face of the last step, I aired down after that. I'm surprised my passenger hasn't posted up the experience yet :lol:

After the repairs the bumpers will need to be reconfigured :lol:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:All in all, damage looks worse than it is :shock:
2 wheel drive housings,1 stop ring,1 boot and a couple of shock bolts :roll:
Had the rear locker not failed and the tires not hit the body, it would have made it up but still would have had to turn back. The next set of falls was very steep. I did not air down and had to get a slight pull from Erik and his 6X to get up the face of the last step, I aired down after that. I'm surprised my passenger hasn't posted up the experience yet :lol:

After the repairs the bumpers will need to be reconfigured :lol:
BTW, for those of you who were there, there was also a failed fuel pump that caused the truck to stop running. She's already running after charging the batteries and changing out the fuel pump. Isn't it nice to have Jim available?
Michael

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Michael you sure have some balls taking the red bull through the trail. Not sure I'd want to do that in my pinz. Guess I'm use to the flat lands.

On the plus side now you have a reason to redo the bumpers. Never really liked the look of them.

Jim, How would the trail rate to the one you took me and the family on?
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Michael
Nice to see Redbull #2 being used.
Thanks for the pictures made interesting viewing!
Even the missus (Linda) said "WoW"! That's the Bull!Great
Cheers Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Pinz Enthusiast

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Erik,

Duran, makes Gold Mountain Jeep Trail ( the one Jim took you on last year) feel like a paved road, I can say that cause I did GMJT almost every weekend last winter as all other trails in Big Bear had over 6 feet of snow on them, The water fall on Duran, where you see my truck making it on second attempt had me looking straight up when rear wheels made it to the bottom and fronts were on the top. I have video of it and will post it soon, all in all even with the party pig breaking it was a great weekend, look forwardd to next year.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
Kaweeka

Post by Kaweeka »

Only get a note that these are private videos - is there a trick to watch them?

Thanks!