WisDOT is at it, AGAIN! URGENT PLEASE READ

All things not relating to the other forums.
undysworld
Norway

WisDOT is at it, AGAIN! URGENT PLEASE READ

Post by undysworld »

Hi you guys,

It's me again. About the DOT again.

I'm guessing you're as tired of people trying to outlaw our trucks as I am: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ght=wisdot

But they're at things here again. I haven't written much, because I believe all the Wis. Pinzgauer owners are in contact with each other. We've been all working on things as we can.

In a nutshell, a bill has been introduced to our legislature to make all ex-military vehicles restricted to parade or maintenance operations only. I'd like to be able to amass data/evidence from other states regarding how you guys are licensed: Collector or Farm or Truck or ???

I'm asking all of you to write an email to me (if you're willing) giving:
1) The U.S. state where you and your Pinzgauer live.
2) The type of license plate you have, and any restrictions on use that are involved.
3) Address, etc. (Suggestion) if you're comfortable doing that over the internet??? I only suggest because it might make your email more legit sounding, evidence-wise.

Yesterday a public Assembly hearing was held at our state Capitol for public comment on AB-592. I was allowed only 3 minutes and then stopped from speaking. During the DOT staffer's speech, the committee asked her how other U.S. states license these trucks (ex-mil in general) and what restrictions are imposed on them.

I'm trying to schedule meetings with the bill's author and the committee chair, and this would be great info to have. If it's easier, email me direct at undy@mhtc.net or call me at (608) 437-3465. You can also try my cell at (608) 333-8383, but I don't always get reception where I am. Home's best.

Thanks in advance if you can help.
Paul Underwood
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

I guess Im just surprised that your DMV is that organized. Texas and New mexico do not keep information on the pinzgauer or unimog at the local office level. They wouldnt know to do anything different than just regular registration unless you asked for something special.

I am registered in Albuquerque New mexico. The largest city in New mexico. My 712 is registered as a regular truck with no restrictions or special categories. Even In Dallas Tx where I used to live, my mogs were registered as any other truck on the road. Who is making you classify your truck as anything other than a normal truck. Who dictates that its military. Does your title say something about being military. Seems to me that you need to work on losings that military status and your problems may no long be as such.

And yes, I understand its not quite that simple, but keep in mind, hummers, jeeps and almost every Chevy and ford truck etc has been classified as military at some point. And seeing as how the pinz was sold not only here in the states but world wide as civilian vehicles, this one should not be that hard to work around. If your title has a military classification, maybe you need to have your title processed through another state to eliminate the classification and then retitled in your state with documentation stating its civilian status. It really pisses me off when people run to the DMV with a big smile on their face and say hey look at my big military truck, its so cool, can you give me Mil plates. It just screws everyone else down the road.

When I had my first unimog registered, it was limited to a one year stay in america as it was brought in as a private German citizens truck. I had to get all new import documents, and the local port athor. said they were going to seize it and cut it in two. But after careful wording, one clerk pulled out a big stack of paper and started stamping it. All I thought was crap, there goes my new truck. Then he handed me the papers, and said enjoy. Of course I still didnt have title. So I had to get a bonded title for one year. Eventually it became mine 100%
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Doka,

I don't know that it represents organization, or stubbornness.

Long story. It appears that what WisDOT wants is to reclassify all historic military vehicles (HMVs) so as to limit their use to parades and maintenance.

We happened to be the easy targets for cancellation, too small to fight back.
We've fought back, and I guess DOT is just being stubborn.

I still contend that the statute they are using is being intpreted incorrectly.

If you guys are interested, I'll post links and give you the whole shebang, but I'll warn you, even the short version is a mouthful. There are two bills introduced, one on my behalf by my Senator, and another by an Assembly Rep.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Sadly, it looks like your stuck fighting technicalities. Such as, Is the pinzgauer a HISTORICAL military vehicle? If not, then it does not fit their bill.

Items like this will be your only real argument unless you can lift the military classification. If it were me, I would hit the non military aspect as hard as possible. That should alleviate all your issues. If you can get it classified as an RV you should be golden.

Im still baffled at how this really affects you. I mean if you were driving a deuce or something that was plainly obvious that it is military vehicle I would understand. I really don't care for the military classification anyway.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Doka,

They're trying to prevent registration, which is licensing of any type. It doesn't matter whether your truck qualifies for Farm, Collector, whatever plates. They want all ex-mil vehicles limited to display or parade use only.

That's why I'm asking for info on how other states handle Pinzgauers. I still believe it's worth the fight.

Paul

ps, I may just be stupid or hard-headed.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

My point is, New mexico does not classify the pinz as military. What makes WI see it as an exclusive military truck? Get the military classification dropped from the specific vehicle paper work and problem solved. Here in NM I could register as military, but that would restrict me to parades etc just like you. You should never let anyone classify your vehicle as military and you should fight that classification to the death. The second your title says military or offroad use only, your screwed. Of course all this is capable of being gotten around, it is a headache once it has received one of these labels though. I can easily title and register for road use the horrible black balled offroad only trucks here in NM. Its just a matter of knowing how to do it without significant paperwork plus years of learning how to get around the system.

Im not familiar with the titling and registering process in WI. Here we do not have safety inspections. We do however have a DMV vin inspection for first titling a vehicle. It is at this point that they classify it as a car truck RV etc. Here, the pinz automatically gets truck or RV classification. You would have to ask for military.

At what point did your truck gain the military classification?

Fight the classification, its likely much easier than what you are going thru to change a bill or any other political agenda.
captxmas

Its just stupid!

Post by captxmas »

Greetings from Captxmas in the San Francisco Bay Area. Yep, the sunny state of California(or at least down south it is).

I purchased by 710K from a fellow in Nevada. I drove it home, took it to the DMV and registered it with no problems. Licensed as a regular vehicle and no special requirements. The only thing that confused them was not having a standard VIN number. They accepted the vehicle number from the plate next to the drivers seat and that appears on the regisration paperwork.

Due to age of the vehicle ,cost was at the lowest and annual renewal is the same.

It surprised the heck out of me after hearing all the tales of woe from others and the complications our DMV can create with anything really simple.

I'll be more than happy to send you an adress as a pm or e-mail. along with a copy of this letter or any other format you think wil help your cause.

John
Capt Xmas
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Here is where your getting screwed in my opinion. Notice the truck classification as well as the Body type of PS passenger. Yours I presume says military in the classification. Yes, i know this is a Unimog title, but its all i had easily on hand. My Pinz title is the same minus the surety bond title.

Image[/img]
Peresh

Post by Peresh »

I'm curious to know what they classify as an " EX- MILITARY" vehicle. Are they any and all vehicles used by military including Fords, Dodges etc ? This is very strange.

Unless our trucks are radio-active, this is more liberal BS.

Peresh.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Sigh.

Guys, it doesn't matter too much what we try to call 'em. Our titles all read "truk" as far as body style. They don't know how to spell TRUCK at DMV, I guess. Nothing says "military".

Up til '07, it never mattered whether they were ex-mil or not. If you had the ppwk, you could register it. Everybody knew they were ex-mil when you went to the DMV with a SF-97, the only form you get from the US govt when you buy a surplus vehicle. It was no secret.

At this point, DOT is trying to force all ex-mil, from every country, into a limited registration.

I didn't want to rehash this, I've gone round and round with them for two years. Yesterday, I met a man who's been going round with these yahoos for 38 years. Yes, you read it right, 38 years.

I only posted here in the hopes you guys would be ok with giving out info regarding how YOUR truck is registered in YOUR state. That info might help us out here in Wisconsin.

If you'd like any extra debate about the matter, pm me and I'll direct you to some sites that have gone over it. Then we can talk. Thanks.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Peresh, it's the Republican reps who are pushing this.

FYI, I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's just that this goes across all borders. I'm looking for sympathetic officials, no matter which side of the aisle they sit on.

Also FYI, I've met some excellent people at our Capitol, again, both Republicans and Democrats.

I wish more of our country's problems could be looked at from a less-polarized veiwpoint. :?

Paul
Peresh

Post by Peresh »

Paul,
Get an online petition going to the right parties so people can sign in. There will be some good support.

Petions work if they are on a large scale. Trust me.
Peresh.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Not trying to rehash it for you, sorry. And yes I read every page of your last big post. And I would be happy to send an e-mail with the info. But what is your approach here. I would think that you need to get an exception to the rule for the pinz, not change the whole program all together. It should be a much smaller mountain to climb. Maybe WI is just insane. There should be many work a rounds for your problem, at least there is in my neck of the woods. Though I will admit, I could register a kids radio flyer wagon with a V8 and a flash light in this state.
totaljoint

Washington State

Post by totaljoint »

I just titled my 712 in Washington State. The Vehicle title lists it as a "Truck", no military designation. The insurance here lists it as a "collector's car".
Hope this helps.
Ed
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Paul, I emailed you my address and so on. I believe I registered mine as a suv as when I titled my pinz there were a lot of post about passengers in the rear.

Luckily I still live in the land of the free! :lol: I regularly drive it down those senic byways putting every one in harms way. At least as some have posted.