712 Kansas City to San Francisco trip

All things not relating to the other forums.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

Picasso wrote:I failed!

Tuesday. Kansas City to Nebraska City
Wednesday. Nebraska City to Kearney (OMG ITS COLD)
Thursday
Friday. rawlins, wyoming

At one point I had a huge loss of power and turned around to hit a off ramp with services. Turns out it was the wind!

I could not camp out in the back it was some how colder inside the box! and the two heaters did not have fuel lines and the plug was cut to the box for power. Cold hands did not feel liking mucking with that.

the truck is sitting just outside of rawlins, wyoming I hitch hiked to Salt Lake City jumped on a flight home. Debating how to go get the truck now. I have a trailer but needs reg for it. I'd love to just flat tow it home. I'm going to head out Sunday/Monday with parts and truck/trailer Im sure. But if anyone has options to flat tow Id love to hear them. Truck is safe in current location in a locked yard.

Carb near the alt is leaking like mad. Still has mil spec cap but with civi plug ends that are toast. I had huge trouble at 8000 feet. Had to pull over and change plugs as it was getting fouled up and speed up the hills was a huge problem. I was warned in Kansas city not to take the 50 as it was well snow covered. So I just hit up the 80 to the north. The number of cars broken down was insane on I80. Trucks also had trouble with gelling. -22 wind chill was as low as I saw one morning starting the truck. The choke cable froze so I couldnt use it. Just poped the lid and did it by hand to start it. After the motor warmed up I spent a few mins moving the shifter to try and find a gear. gps would not turn on till after a good 20mins down the road. Also the damn 24-12 is blowing fuses. I think the mutli tap is wack.

That has been one long ass cold trip. And I'm not even done yet! The heater box and exhaust is a little rusted so lack of heat but no fumes in side! I had 4 pairs of shocks on, and still found my self driving with the hand throttle so I could get my feet up. Ice was forming along the tunnel walls in the cab by my feet. The hose was also missing from air fan to inside duct. So it just heated the 4x4 controlls.
More later Im getting in my damn hotutb.
You bought that Teeters divorce truck huh??? :shock: :roll:
Picasso

hehe

Post by Picasso »

Doh will it always be known as the divorce truck? Heading out with the trailer to go pick it up. Looks like Im going to hit a storm on the way home. Doh!
Andre
United States of America

love this story!

Post by Andre »

Im glad im not the only one who gets in over his head and decides to back up 10 and punt. ill have to hear the WHOLE story over a beer someday.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Picasso

yar!

Post by Picasso »

Made it home safe and sound. Took me a few trys to get the pinz lined up on trailer. My tong weight must have been real nasty

Pics soon, I also had a temp logger with me.
OhioPinz

Post by OhioPinz »

Congrats! A noble effort, and mission accomplished!
russ

Post by russ »

Glad you made it home safe, that is the best way to start the year!
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009