Question for Pinz Owners

All things not relating to the other forums.
KaiWalk
United States of America

Question for Pinz Owners

Post by KaiWalk »

I'm looking at buying a Pinz (preferably a K, but most likely a 710M) for a daily driver. I'm moving out to a plot of land where 4x4 is required for access. Commute will be 30 miles with half interstate. I also do some part-time snow removal in the season, so are they too underpowered for that? Just small parking lot stuff, no roadways.

I've been looking into them for a while and notice that they trade hands pretty frequently (the lime green topless 710M outside the fence on the Swiss Army Vehicle page is for sale by Miklyn Mobile in Ontario). Is that due to comfort/enjoyment, or something else (prone to breakdowns/too much hassle)?

Any insights are appreciated.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Not too sure I'd want mine as a daily driver, but I ALWAYS enjoy driving it and it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. If you are prepared to take the care a 30+ year old truck needs I'm sure you'll find it a lot of fun. It should be more than capable of the tasks you need although finding a plough that fits may not be too easy. Swiss army vehicles had some ploughs for the Pinz a while ago, the trucks were pretty rusty from the salt though.
Ditchdigger

Post by Ditchdigger »

The only reason I could see to sell my 710k would be if my kid needed a kidney or something. I use mine as a DD but have a 98 GMC 4x4 as a -20c or below vehicle. I dont have a long commute (2 miles). Better as a DD than my 75 BJ40 but dont tell her that. :lol:
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I enjoy my 710k as an almost daily driver. That said I’m glad it’s not my only car. While it can be used on the interstate you will not stay up with most traffic. Air conditioning and adequate heat are not features shared by most Pinzgauers. Many people have a hard time getting in and out; my wife hasn’t been able to get in mine since October when she broke her foot (Lisfranc fracture), 3 months no load bearing than at least 2 months physical tharepy than maybe she will be able to get in and out unassisted. I remember selling my series 3 Land Rover back in the 70’s when I strained my back, I couldn’t take the 30 mile highway beating to and from work and put in a full shift. Also remember to factor added time to almost every trip for the obligatory question and answer session. All that said it’s a fun vehicle to own.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

I too use a 710k as an almost daily driver (early retirement) but mine does have the advantages of a Diesel conversion and the ec onomy and heating opportunities that come with that. Indeed when I get to Poland in the next few months, Daily driver will be either the Pinzgauer or our Unimog 1300L. The driving position will suit some and not others, the whine from the transmission is music to my ears, but will be the screams of harpies to others. Like most vehicles you have to get it set up how you like it, once you have all the little comfort items on board it will be as easy to live with as anything else.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

but will be the screams of harpies to others
Thank you for a description I'll remember. That's great.

Since you want it for plowing snow, I'll venture a guess that you'll be wanting heat in the truck. So given the reported difficulty in finding any snowplow to fit a Pinz, and my experiences where the heat is present but not abundant, that might be a couple negatives.

Thirty miles will take you at least 45 minutes to drive in a 712, but less in a 710. Slow that down if you're hauling a plow, I'd guess.

And personally, I'm not sure if I'd want to be driving an interstate daily. Most folks here are doing 75 - 80 mph on the interstate, and it's pretty hairy to have them roaring up on you from behind.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pinz. But as a daily driver, it could get old. Not to mention the mainenance involved...

My advice, find another reason to justify buying a Pinz (to the wife, if you're so encumbered). But do buy one. :)
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I've been using mine as a daily driver, and it's not so warm here yet. I will be investing in a heater for sure.

If you are looking for a plow, Karl at Pinzgauer Canada has some. My Pinz originally had a plow on it.

tx Dave
benztech

Re: Question for Pinz Owners

Post by benztech »

Miklyn Mobile does not import pinzgauers any longer, too much BS with MTO to get a title. That 710m on his website is long gone, webpage is out of date by 4-6 years, that is what he told me.