Canadian Pinzgauers or volvos ?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Higher Ground

Post by Higher Ground »

Hi , I'm new to this site , I own a 4x4 shop called Higher Ground Off Road . We are located in Maple Ridge , B.C. Canada . I'm not trying to get business throungh this site , mostly info . I would like buy a 712 or a tgb13 ( I like the 712 M ) to use as a shop truck and a rolling add for HGOR. Are there any Pinz. or Volvo owners in the B.C. Lower mainland ? Once I have one we will modify it to handle the rocky trails out here , I will keep detailad potos to recreate the build . I know parts are not easy to get so I'll build what I need . Thanks from Brian Wright owner of Higher Ground Off Road
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Welcome to the forum.
Once I have one we will modify it to handle the rocky trails out here
A Pinzgauer?
I know parts are not easy to get
A Pinzguaer??

I assume you've driven/riden in a Pinz already. But many of us don't really think you need to modify a Pinz much to handle rocky trails. They're already pretty good at that.

As far as parts, this past year gave me plenty of opportunity to source parts for my truck such as a complete transmission, front wheel drive units, all the seals, o-rings and bearings to reseal both rear axles and more. Even on a 30+ year old truck, nothing took more than a week to get.

Paul
Higher Ground

Post by Higher Ground »

Frogive me I'm new to the pinz. world . What I ment in regards to modifications , exo-cage to protect from low trees ( in bc most of the good trails haven't been wheeled on in years , most are from old logging roads or mines). The othr mod. I may try , make a 712m into a dk. I'm a long time jeep owner and have yet to see a pinz for real , I have recently seen a c303 as it drove pas me while I was on a hiway on ramp. I badly want to see a 712 up close to make my desision to by one for my shop . I tryed to look up that Redbull pinz from Expedition Imports , I wasn't able to find it ?
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

While the pinz is off road ready there are many things you can do to make it more off road capable EFI really improved the off-road performance. And I have a feeling Scott @ EI. maybe releasing something that someone is working on down south later on next year. That should improve both the on road and off road performance.

I'd drive both Nether maybe what you're looking for. Also If you're wanting info on the redbull pinz email Scott He normally response rather quickly.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

IMHO the Redbull Pinzgauers are not a good example of an off-road pinz build. They are severely over weight. The bumpers used front and rear limited approach and departure angles. The oversized tires increase the chance of tires binding in the wheel well. These trucks were built for advertizing not off-road activities. http://www.billcaid.com/2009/MogFest200 ... Part2.html about half way down for a Deadbull :shock:
I’d suggest contacting some of the forum members in the Puget Sound (I know a fair number are down there) and arrange a viewing / play day. You can also look forward to North West Mogfest.
You’ll likely find pinz owners have a different view of off-road “improvements” than other 4wd owners.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
justfred

Improvements

Post by justfred »

The best improvements I've made to my stock 710M:

-Replace Malloya tires with BFG All-terrains.
-Driveshaft refurb/balance (long story, but the stock Pinz driveshaft is a strange beast)
-Pertronix ignition
-Civilian cap/wires/plugs
-Gas tank cage

But my favorite "mod" was removing the door tops. Yeah, I still have them in case it rains, but it's a lot more fun to drive without.

By the way, I was impressed seeing a Volvo next to a Pinzgauer:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justfred/4 ... 376562152/
The Volvo is a lot bigger.
Higher Ground

Post by Higher Ground »

In those potos bought up one more question , on a axel break that bad , can it be repaired on the trail? How often can that happen? The bumpers on that Redbull pinz. would be the first parts to go . My stock jeep bumpers only lasted 1 week befor I upgraded them to high clearance ones ( I still managed to bend my rear one on a steap drop off ) When will the 2010 mogfest happen ?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Yes, it could have been repaired onsite if spares were on hand 8)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Jim, I know speculation in camp was that the repair would be relatively simple, other than the bent sheet metal (that shouldn’t have been there), how extensive was the mechanical damage?
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

That Volvo/Pinz pic is a little misleading. The Volvo has a huge cage around it with a roof-rack built in making it look bigger than it is. They are actually comparable in size with the Volvo being just slightly bigger. Comparing hard tops of each would also be more accurate.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

What I want to know is did that VW Syncro go on that ride? If so, very cool.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

acebee
Switzerland

synchro@calico

Post by acebee »

there were 2 others (max four?) beside the blue one..

the silver one was very much present .. on trails..

Andre.. do you remember the nice maroon modded ..synchro ?

probably dsd (Dave) remembers..since it was near his camp site..
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Vince,
Not sure about who owns the blue one, but John W has a Syncro that he takes everywhere... he has had it to Calico for many of the past events
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

People taking pictures of my Volvo without my knowledge.......what is the world coming to? I charge a nominal fee for such photos---especially when they are posted to the web!!!!! Just kidding. The size of the Volvo is similar to a Pinzgauer 710K though I believe the Volvo is a little wider.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
edzz
United States of America

Re: synchro@calico

Post by edzz »

acebee wrote:there were 2 others (max four?) beside the blue one..

the silver one was very much present .. on trails..

Andre.. do you remember the nice maroon modded ..synchro ?

probably dsd (Dave) remembers..since it was near his camp site..
The maroon Doka belongs to Joey my 710k’s PO . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ?p=4162943
http://www.syncrosafari.com/Oregon07/whowent.html
Ed