The day my pinzgauer died........:(

All things not relating to the other forums.
crossofiron

The day my pinzgauer died........:(

Post by crossofiron »

morning folks, just wanted to share my misery!

tuesday afternoon, i trot off in "mabel", my ex-military pinz to pick my daughter up from school, later than usual as she had been on a trip.

the school is located at the top of a very steep hill and as i hit the T-junction everything cuts out. very bad place to stall, mabel not having the best hand brake ever!

am just about to re-start her when i realise there is smoke coming out of the front grille with a really nasty rubber on fire smell.

being a "calm in a panic" type of girl, i freewheel backwards down the hill for a few metres to park her up safey, making sure the back tyre is up against the curb, so she doesnt roll away, start ringing 999, while grabbing the fire extinguisher out of the cab.

meanwhile kids are poaring out of the school pointing phones at mabel for all theyre worth!

fire extinguisher in one hand phone in the other, i'm yelling at the kids to "run for their lives" which most of them did :)

fire extinguisher empty! mabel really starts with the HUGE flames :(

enter, my daughter, floods of tears, thought i was still inside the cab. as i calm her down she yells "look mum" and as i turn to see what she (and the crowd) are pointing at, i see mabel U-turning and starting off down the big hill!!!!!!!!

i left her in gear so was most suprised to see her drifting off down the road and still have no idea how the damn thing defied gravity!

fortunately she hits an illegally parked ford KA, which then hit a nissan which then hit.......(you get the picture), more or less stopping her sailing off down said hugely steep hill and hitting the fire crew head on!!! causing grillions of ££'s of damage.

anyway!, enter fire crew, who battle in vain to put mabel out, tape the road off for safety, cant understand why they cant put the fire out :/

at this point i flag one of them down and he says "does it run on petrol?" yes i say but she's running on LPG at the moment. aaah!! he says. another fire truck is called for with FOAM, it turns up, they have no foam!

finally the fire is out and the fire crew spend the next twent mins cooling the gas bottle down.

at this point i start trying to find out who owns what car and how much its going to cost me!!!

have called nigel at pinzmiester to come and take us home, MASSIVE thanks to nigel at this point for being a complete superman :)

ok, so enter old lady (owner of the KA), who realises immediately that she is the owner of a mashed to death KA that she had parked illegally! first words out of her mouth (before she feints) are "those double yellow lines were not there when i parked earlier, they must have been covered in leaves!)

yeah right!

anyway, fire out, details exchanged, nigel arrived, the firemen start to undo the pinz/car sandwich.

front car....zero damage (phew)
middle car...small scratch (double phew)
KA car...oh dear, rear hatch gone, rear light gone.
pinzmabel....sniff.....RIP, canvass a mess, engine cover completely gone, heater bed springs everywhere, dread to think what needs replacing :(

nigelpinzsupermiester, tows us off home, that in its self was one of the hairyest drives i ever had in my LIFE!!

on the up-side, my husbands hat and nigels umbrella survived!!

anyway, it's been 2 days now and nobody has called to ask me to pay for any damage :/ so fingers crossed it doesnt all cost me the earth.

and thank God nobody was hurt!

arrived home looking a little like wile e coyote after one of those huge explosions :)

thanks for letting me rant here!!

max
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

So so sorry to hear of your fire, glad you and no one else was hurt. You must let us know if the source of the fire is traced as its not something anyone want to happen to their truck. What size of fire extinguisher did you have / use?
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Bad news indeed. The sort of thing that happens to "other people". Main thing is no one was hurt. Hopefully Maybel will be back on the road soon.

If you left it in gear and it was off down the road, it "could" have been similar to what I experienced with my Haflinger. Parked in the driveway of a Youth Hostel in N.Wales. The Eberspacher heater was switched off as I parked. Ignition off, in gear, handbrake on (just enough). Whilst heater was cooling down, wiring fault in the rat's nest behind the dash. Adjacent wire insulation melted, short to starter circuit. Oodles of smoke pouring out as it wound it's way out across the road and opposite verge and into some bushes. THAT was exciting !!! Luckily, no passing traffic. A dodgy bit of wiring on the (2nd hand) heater was the culprit.

Again, hope all will be sorted soon !

Mike 712M
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Wow that sucks ! When your poor Pinzie is getting rehab, make sure the hand brake is included.....I always keep mine in great shape and fully engaged in any parking situation.....but of course, hindsight is 20/20.....

Good luck!
1972 710m
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

As with the others, I'm so sorry to hear of the accident, and glad no one was hurt ... other than the trauma of the experience.

Your accident brings to light of a situation that the handbrake ( by it self) will not hold the Pinz, and the TD Pinzes automatically engage 4 wheel drive when the engine is turned off. Though the parking brake is on the drive shaft, with the open differentials, it only brakes 1 tire, and in the conditions you discribed, the Pinz can turn downhill and run amok. Engaging the front drive locks 2 wheels, holding the Pinz in place. 710 and 712 owners should get into the habit of engaging the front drive and the parking brake when parking on a hill.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and hopefully it will make others more attentive in parking, though I realized yours was an emergency situation that you handled admirably.

May "Mabel" and you be back on the road soon.

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Ditto the condolences on the truck.

Dave,
You've mentioned that brake issue before. But I'm always glad to see it brought up again for new owners. Obviously, it's a big deal. It almost warrants a well-titled "sticky" somewhere, so everybody reads about it when they first start out. (or maybe there is one, and I just missed it!) :roll:
Paul
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Paul,
Though I am very sorry about the accident, it does prove that this can happen ( and SDP corrected it on the 716/18 ), and lends credence to what I've said in the past.

Unfortunately, "stickies" are commonly just past over.... sort of like reading the caution notices in the front of instructions. I do/did have thoughts on a FAQ section that I'd would like to implement, and maybe I can talk further with Vince on this, the last time we talked, neither of us knew how to do it, or if the program could support it ( well... at least me :wink: ).

I also wanted to comment on the importance of the WHOLE braking system, and not to assume that something is "good enough"....... just watch the video of Telluride , and imagine yourself stalling, and not being able to stop BEFORE the bottom of one of those ravines

pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

undysworld wrote:Ditto the condolences on the truck.

Dave,
You've mentioned that brake issue before. But I'm always glad to see it brought up again for new owners. Obviously, it's a big deal. It almost warrants a well-titled "sticky" somewhere, so everybody reads about it when they first start out. (or maybe there is one, and I just missed it!) :roll:
Paul
Agreed. A couple of years ago, a new Pinzi owner was at Mogfest and realized he had left his passenger door open as he started down a 10-15 degree incline. He left the truck running and set the brake as he climbed out to run around to the other side of the truck to close the door.

As he closed the door, the Pinz started rolling down the hill by itself; somehow, the new owner climbed into the truck as it was doing around 10MPH down the hill and stopped the truck safely.

Two lessons:
1) DO NOT rely on the parking brake as a safe way to have a Pinz parked on an incline; they easily can pop out of place and launch your truck down the hill.

2) Although it worked out in this particular instance, the driver was very lucky didn't get killed by his truck as he climbed in with his feet flailing into a moving vehicle going down the hill. Metal can be repaired, a loss of a limb or worse is much more difficult to fix.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Man what an unfortunate, impressive and instructive post.
Since I got my 712 I've always relied on the hand brake and left it in gear when parking on my steep driveway, I shudder when I remember the inclined trails I did the same on). No more!
I carry wheel chocks on the passenger floor board but now will actually use them.
Ed
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

My 710M has a great parking brake, but the handle slips (that means the brake doesn't stay ON!). I have a very steep driveway, and when parking there I always use Reverse and Low Range (this is the lowest gear ratio) for engine braking. I also use wheel chocks if leaving it there for any length of time, but it appears that the very low gear range seems to work (at least for short durations; sometimes I can see/feel the engine turn past one compression stroke).

Before I started remembering to keep it in gear (engine off, of course) and low range I had the same experience of it rolling without me... I decided to NOT attempt to jump in and the end result was several dents around the passenger front as it was stopped by a big pine tree! So no more idling without me in the cab.

Oh, to have a parking brake and handle that works like it should...

JIm M
712W (with rebuilt parking brake handle) and 710M (with ineffective parking brake!)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Leaving the truck "in gear" is the norm.... but with the diffs "opened", you only have braking to one wheel per axle.
Since what most people are use to are parking brakes at each of the rear wheels ( but not LR owners :wink: ) which holds 2 wheels and prevents the vehicle to pivot downhill and builds up momentum to overcome the brake.
712s are better because the 2 rear axles are tied together, BUT even on hard ground it is possible to loose traction on one of the rear axles too .

By locking the front drive you can eliminate the "see-saw" affect the Pinz can do down a hill when only one wheel is actually "locked"... first pivoting on one wheel, then the traction can transfer to the other wheel and pivot back the other way, building up momentum and going faster.
As unreal as it may seem, it was enough for SDP to engineer the automatic front drive engagement when the engine is off.

As we have kidnapped the thread, if anyone wants, we can repost some of this to the brake section, and continue it, with a proper subject title.

I apologise to Max for stealing the thread and I, for one,hope to hear more on the ordeal

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jim,

Regarding your brake that won't stay on:
Have you checked the e-brake cable to make sure that it is pre-twisted? If it isn't, it can cause the brake to not hold "on". It's covered in the manual, and elsewhere here. About 3 turns, IIRC.

Paul
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Have you checked the e-brake cable to make sure that it is pre-twisted? If it isn't, it can cause the brake to not hold "on".
Yup, the twist is fine (handle returns to vertical because of the cable twist). When it slips I can see the handle pull back, sometimes instantly, sometimes (worse!) seconds later, when you think it is holding...

I just got to get off my duff and get a new cam and shaft for it. I did this a few years ago for my 712 and it works great.

Jim M.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

David:
So if I read your warning correctly, If I park on a slope, I should engage the middle diff (6x6) and the front lockers? Rear also for that matter?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

No, you only need to engage the front drive.

Alternatively, you could lock the rear axle instead, rather than the front drive (since 710/12s are manually engaged independently, hydraulically...716/18 are pneumatic, electrically controled)... either way, the parking brake will be locking 2 wheels ( 3 on a 712).