New owner with questions on hauling my Pinz home

All things not relating to the other forums.
Malahki

New owner with questions on hauling my Pinz home

Post by Malahki »

Hey guys, brand new to the forum and the proud owner of my first pinz, a 1972 710m. I need to get the truck picked up and hauled 1500km's home.

I am wondering what the preferred tie down method is for this style suspension and wondering where to hook to on the Pinz?

I have owned many solid axle 4x4's in the past and have always cross chained to the axles, although my Unimog 404 required the addition of frame securement to limit body roll due to the very flexy tendencies of the suspension.

I just want to make sure the securement method is not going to put excessive stress on the axles or portal boxes and that the truck body is not bouncing all over the place affecting the handleing of the tow vehicle.
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

I tie down the axles. There are nice open spots on the axles that accept straps. I've never had any issues with body lean being an issue under any towing condition.
Kimball
1979 712M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

You should also do a search on this, as it's come up repeatedly. There was even a video of "how not to do it", showing a Mog bouncing on a trailer.

It's too early and dark here, and I don't have my reading glasses on so I'm pretty blind, or I'd try to look it up for you... Sorry.
Malahki

Post by Malahki »

I did try searching the forum on the topic before I posted but was not having any luck. I have seen the Mog video before, it is the reason why I started adding straps to the frame on my Mog.

I figured the exposed portion of the axle was the best place to hook to on the Pinz but needed to make sure. I will Probably add a strap to the front and rear tow points to help limit any body roll and the added force on the axles caused by the suspension rebounding after hitting a big bump.

Thanks
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Tie only to the four trianular cutouts in the central tube body mountings.
This will load the suspension and prevent movement .
Do NOTuse the pintles as over time it will bend the body and the doors won't close :shock:
Large J hooks work well.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Gee Jim, guess I don't need to hit you with a bat twice anymore :lol:

The front pintle WILL deform the body forward and down when a heavy stress is put on it and the doors will release from their strikes ( keepers). The body outriggers are my preferred point of tiedown. I prefer to load (compress) the suspension.

I had taken these pics a while back to share, but hadn't posted them until now.
Using the body support outriggers, a fairly short trailer can be use, and get a nice angle to pull the suspension taut.

These are 2 threads on towing...

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ght=#39676

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ght=#39423

The next 3 pics show J hooks through the outriggers.
Though not shown here, I put a short "leash" (chain) from the front pintle to the trailer, just as a safety.

You may also notice that the straps are axle tiedown straps, that I attach the J hook to. I have straps for almost any need, but don't like to anchor the axles... the sheave you see is also good to protect the strap from being cut if you wrap the strap through frame sections and clip it back to the D ring.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Thats correct. You will want to use these:

(That cracked me up. Did a search for Jhooks and thats the first result)

Dave, where did you get the J Hooks?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

If I used those.... it wouldn't be anywhere near a trailer.. :twisted: :lol:

Though I didn't get them here, what I have are like the ones at the bottom of this page, with the link attached.

http://www.easternwreckerstore.com/Hook ... ry-s/3.htm

As Jim can attest to, I got straps and different end configurations that I can tie anything down. :lol: The J hooks are by far the quickest and secure way to tie a Pinz down..... I use the same straps without the J hooks to clip to my Supacat , front and rear... and 2 straps will clip onto 2 extended bolts on my Haffy ( where drawbar mounting holes are), and chain with clevis shackles through the front jacking holes ( I'm not sure how many Hafs have them, I know the US models don't ).

pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Tie downs? didn't we just have a whole thread about how the parking brake will hold it in place?

I typically use twine from used packages to hold my trucks in place; just ask Dave.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

You could tow it like this:
Michael

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

pinzwheeling wrote:.....I typically use twine from used packages to hold my trucks in place; just ask Dave.
I thought it was bailing wire and twine to put them on the lot for sale :P :wink:

Just a little drywall mud and paint.... good as new

pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

David Dunn wrote:
pinzwheeling wrote:.....I typically use twine from used packages to hold my trucks in place; just ask Dave.
I thought it was bailing wire and twine to put them on the lot for sale :P :wink:

Just a little drywall mud and paint.... good as new
It's not a dent... It'll rub right out. lol
Michael

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Just like the sign said... "Lo Mileage, Only driven to and from Red Bull Events" :roll: :wink:

Malahki

Post by Malahki »

David Dunn wrote:Gee Jim, guess I don't need to hit you with a bat twice anymore :lol:

The front pintle WILL deform the body forward and down when a heavy stress is put on it and the doors will release from their strikes ( keepers). The body outriggers are my preferred point of tiedown. I prefer to load (compress) the suspension.

I had taken these pics a while back to share, but hadn't posted them until now.
Using the body support outriggers, a fairly short trailer can be use, and get a nice angle to pull the suspension taut.

These are 2 threads on towing...

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ght=#39676

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ght=#39423

The next 3 pics show J hooks through the outriggers.
Though not shown here, I put a short "leash" (chain) from the front pintle to the trailer, just as a safety.

You may also notice that the straps are axle tiedown straps, that I attach the J hook to. I have straps for almost any need, but don't like to anchor the axles... the sheave you see is also good to protect the strap from being cut if you wrap the strap through frame sections and clip it back to the D ring.
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. And the pics make it idiot proof.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

....... And the pics make it idiot proof.
I wish that was so.... but you still need to make sure you have plenty of tongue weight..... a few years back, a Pinz pulling another Pinz on a trailer went into a "tail wag" and flipped the tow Pinz on it's side and the trailer rolled a full 360 degrees and came to rest with the Pinz still in place on the trailer (tied down similar to those pics). Best guess is the weight was too far back on the trailer and the trailer threw the tow vehicle around...