Insurance

All things not relating to the other forums.
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Insurance

Post by yaknowthatguy »

So I'm working on getting a new pinz..... and before my buddy picks it up and trailers it back home, want to get it insured, just in case anything goes amiss on the ride home.

I call up my insurance agent - Hagerty - and they're glad to insure it. But get this - I have to vouch that I will not use it for hauling, towing, OFFROADING NOR CAMPING. Which pretty much takes the flavor out of owning a Pinz.

If you are insured with Hagerty, be aware. And if you are not insured with them, please let me know who you did insure with - I'll be interested in swapping my policy VERY soon. FWIW I tried my regular Farmer's agent and was advised "no" since it's a military truck.

Thanks for any info!
712 amb. under construction.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Well you have already let the cat out of the bag with Farmers, but I'm certain you did not purchase it from any country's military, and you are not military - so it is NOT military (perhaps EX-military). But there is no penalty for NOT mentioning military or ex-military. Save yourself some grief and only volunteer that it is a Austrian made European vehicle; likewise, don't call it a truck if calling it an SUV or utility vehicle will make things go easier.

State Farm has both of mine insured with full coverage and no restrictions. and done so in two states with two different agents.

Check around, don't volunteer more than you need to, and if needed shop for other agents of whichever insurer you try (some agents will not want to make trouble for themselves and may not even try for you - find a different one).

Do a search, others in CO have gone through the same process.

Jim M.
712W and 710M
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

thanks Jim, sort of what I was hoping for. pretty unimpressed with how Hagerty threw this one to me, and I'm stuck - gotta get it insured before it gets transported.

Next week when I have a little more time I'll dig around and see what I can come up with. Until then, if anyone has ideas I'm all ears - especially if recommendations on specific agents in Colorado.

thanks!
kpoling
United States of America

Pinz Insurance

Post by kpoling »

Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
krick3tt

insurance for pinz

Post by krick3tt »

i have been insured with Farmers for years...your agent is a putz.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Another vote for State Farm. I've got 2 Pinz 710M's with them.

Paul C
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

What kind of policy to you carry? Liability only?

That is all I carry
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

thanks again guys, my hat's off. especially you krick3tt, gives me hope I can get something happening here. I'll go back to them, see what I can do.
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

I had the same problem with Hagerty. They had a small check box on there online forum asking where the vehicle would be used. I checked the offroad box trying to be honest (not good). They called me on the phone to see what type of use I was thinking. I said "when the road ends, and it becomes dirt, I will keep going". They didn't like that and cancelled my policy. I fought it and went up two technicians even stating that I would not bring it offroad. No go. The final guy basicaly said they had no way to qualify offroad use (ie charge money for it). I said to simply write in an offroad clause which they didnt want to do, or didnt know how.

I wound up going to grundy who after a little work I got insurance. Good luck.

Smiley
krick3tt

insurance for pinz

Post by krick3tt »

YKTG,
I started out with my insurance guy in San Diego. Called him one day and said I had a Mercedes truck. The Mog. No prob. Just gave him the vin and it was a go. The DMV had to see it for Vin verification. They had never seen one before. There were not enough numbers in the vin. I told the nice lady at the counter to just put '0' in front till there were enough digits. It went well. Smile and be polite, never lose your cool.
One day I called my guy and said that I sold the MB truck and that I had bought a Pinzgauer...it's a swiss truck. No problem. Gave him the vin and I was insured. I bought it (the pinz) from Scott at EI, he had it registered in CA for me as part of the friendly service of EI. Great service.

I went (moved) to WA. The DMV (not what it is called there) wanted to know its weight as they charge by weight on the roads there. Had to take it to a moving company to get 'papered'. Went well. Smiled at the nice lady at the license office. They looked out the window and said it was an interesting vehicle. Had to switch insurance offices, not company as CA cannot insure out of state. No problems.

I moved to CO, when the WA tags expired, got it registered here. No problem. Just smile and be polite to the guy behind the desk. Transfer title and I am tagged here. Again switch insurance offices, not company. I am insured in CO with the same company...Farmers.

I think the thing here is consistency. Same company, different states.
I have looked at Hagerty (too many restrictions and too much money), AAA, Allstate and others. Farmers gives me the best rate. Why change?

Good luck, keep it simple (more often than not, they won't understand the vehicle and no amount of explanation will help) , don't volunteer extra information. It's just a truck, no passengers except in the cab.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Try "Antique vehicle". $80/year liability.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

FWIW, I carry Progressive. I only carry liability, since full coverage would have been over 1k/yr., and they wouldn't cover off-road damage anyway (but don't cancel me for being off-road). I wouldn't expect any company would cover off-road damage. So with that, plus the limited miles the Pinz sees, liability-only seemed best.

Vince, who gives you "antique vehicle" coverage?

Paul
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I'm with Progressive as with Paul in the previous post.

We have sort of a "don't ask, don't tell" arrangement. They didn't ask about any special or unique useage and I didn't describe any weirdness that I planned to use this truck for.

Rates were cheap, my agent was helpful. Everyone is happy!

As previously posts on this subject reflect, the less information shared, the better off we are when it comes to registration and insurance. Asd we all know, It's a weird old oddball truck so the less explaining, the better! :wink:
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

undysworld wrote:FWIW, I carry Progressive. I only carry liability, since full coverage would have been over 1k/yr., and they wouldn't cover off-road damage anyway (but don't cancel me for being off-road). I wouldn't expect any company would cover off-road damage. So with that, plus the limited miles the Pinz sees, liability-only seemed best.

Vince, who gives you "antique vehicle" coverage?

Paul
I think it was Farmers.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Pinzgear

Post by Pinzgear »

I have mine insured with State Farm as an antique and it's less than $150/yr for full coverage for the year. I had to have it appraised by a collector ($25) who gave me a paper stating that replacement value is $33K and my agent says that if anything ever happens to the pinz that is what they will pay. I did the online Progessive insurance before, and it was over $600/6 months. Glad I switched to State Farm!

Sean