Keystone Cops effort at helping the clueless

All things not relating to the other forums.
totaljoint

Keystone Cops effort at helping the clueless

Post by totaljoint »

For those of you who know the Mountain Loop Highway area you will appreciate the location, for those who don't; perhaps the situation:

Drove the 712 to Big Four Ice Caves today, the road from Granite Falls to the Ice Caves parking lot was one solid sheet of ice. 6wd all the way and NO slipping (many others were not so lucky, a nice 4-runner was off the road axel deep, and plenty of other skid marks to ditches). Got there late, about 2:30pm (gets dark at 4:00)

The Ice Caves parking lot was 8 inches of snow and ice with well frozen tire tracks every direction (mine field). Most of the other 4wd's didn't venture the lot, but parked on the highway, a Subaru was stuck up to the frame on the parking lot entrance road.

After that got cleared up, lo and behold ahead in the lot, a brand new Lexus sedan (2wd), still with dealer stickers in the window and all of 5 inches of clearance was stuck nose-first into a snow/ice bank with wheels spinning. The driver flooring it madly and 4 observers standing around watching the snow fly.

I assumed they were trying to get out of the lot, so this is the time for the Pinz to do some public assistance, right? No, they were stuck -- going in forward, trying to get deeper in to the mess. All 5 were Chinese (no english). My son and I gestured to convinced them to go in reverse and we showed them how to manually push the full sized luxury sedan back out of the bank. Would have helped greatly if the driver kept off of the brake every time it started to move. Lots of talking among themselves, no communication.

We got them back in the (deep) tire tracks and pointed in the proper direction to drive out. We got back in the Pinz and drove around them. I looked in the rear view mirror, and they had turned back into the bank and were spinning their front wheels trying to burry themselves again, but this time with 4 of them pushing it deeper! (Well, at least we taught them something)

I've never seen anything more stupid in my life.... and they're probably saying the same thing!
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Sometimes its just GODS way letting you know..you cant help everyone! :)
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
E350

Post by E350 »

I would have liked to see a video of that...
chp-sk8

LOL

Post by chp-sk8 »

there are 2 kinds of people in the world smart people and strong people. Being stupid and not strong is not a good combination. :lol:

I ran into something simular. A young gal slid off the road ...ended up windshield deep in her corolla. I roll up in my f350 and hook my my 16k winch up leaving me on the pavment for traction and I pulled her out. With 12ft of winch cable laying on the ground, she throws her car in drive, waves out the window! I thought to myself REALLY...away she went...ALL 5 FEET! The sudden stoppage yeilded her a bloody nose and fat lip. I though wow, she must be in a real hurry.
Hell, lets just wing it and see were we end up!
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Holy crap!!!! and she didnt try to sue you???? because this is exactly what happens...you try to do a good deed then because of the persons stupidity there is a mishap...and next thing you know a lawsuit follows. I am very careful about helping folks nowadays..not to say I wont help but I sorta assess the persons level of intelligence and attitude first if it dosent pass muster I will cellphone the paid help for them and walk away.

710M
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

I agree with Pete. I used to live across the street from a place that had several signs saying "do not enter" and people would, invariably to bury their Honda in mud. Since I had the crew cab diesel F350 across the street....guess which door was knocked upon?

I was typically willing to help - but my requirement was that they hook up their vehicle to my tow chain. I give them the chain, they rig it how they like, then I hook up the snatch strap and pull. That way if their vehicle gets wrecked during the pull....it's their doing. They dont want to hook up their vehicle? Call AAA. I dont generally like to be hardnosed, but some people are just suit-happy. Sad state of affairs.

On the other side of that, I had to take my truck offroad and bury it to the hood in snow avoiding a jackknifed truck and trailer. Two guys helped me dig out, hook up, and pull me back to asphalt. I took them down to the truck stop and paid for a full tank of fuel on both of them as a thank you....even the recovery truck sometimes has issues :)
712 amb. under construction.
chp-sk8

I agree!

Post by chp-sk8 »

I will try to avoid the situation...when the bottle is involved I am ghost.I do not do well when there is a bad case of dumb$ss by the drunk driver. I do not mix booze with any type of driving that desires complete concentration. The penalty for sliding,off, flopping off a ledge = devistating consequences that I have seen and do not want to be part of again. Anyone that has fetched bent cars and broken people....will attest it is no fun......especially when it is one of your group. The party is over and the trip is shot!
Hell, lets just wing it and see were we end up!
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I am all for calling AAA for them, if they are clueless, drunk or just a dumb ass, For others I will help.
I like the idea of having them hook up their own rig, you are right if they do it wrong and tear off their Toyota bumper, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

I suppose depending on where you live letting them hookup the riggings makes them culpable however if brought to court because of a mishap resulting in accident or injury the first thing out of the lawyers mouth will be that his client is a innocent motorist that should not have been allowed to make that rigging connection by reason of inexperience, a more expeierienced owner of the rescue vehicle stood idley by and allowed my client to make the connection which resulted in the blah blah blah...you get the gist...be careful out there...talk to your rescuees extensively before making the decision to help..any sign of complete and utter stupidity should be grounds for dismissal..best thing you can do is call a service company..then video the action for you tube!

710M