718': whos really getting screwed

All things not relating to the other forums.
totaljoint

718': whos really getting screwed

Post by totaljoint »

Unfortunate to see the attacks taking place on this subject in such an otherwise close knit and supportive community (that I'm proud to be part of). But after looking at the auction listings and reading everyones posts (rounding off the reported numbers), help me see if I understand this:

Cost of new vehicle to USA: $48,000.00
Sold to GL after- between 4-20k miles: $860.00
Estimated value at sale: $9k-15,000.00
What the retail market value is: $15k-23,000.00
Just the parts worth really big $$$ (LED headlights alone around $800.00, not to mention automatic transmissions, brakes, calipers etc... )
The most damage to the vehicles stated by those who inspected these to be due to US gov. handling (forklift!).
This is just for these Pinzgauers, (I hear the Gov'mt also has $10,000 toilet seats for sale).

So who is really the dammaged party here?
I submit it's all of us taxpayers.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Re: 718': whos really getting screwed

Post by GenevaPinz »

I would think the same kind of calculation can be done (and the same conclusion can be drawn) for any military spending...

As a Swiss taxpayer, I am proud to have put my small contribution in making gas-powered Pinzgauers, Haflingers ans Unimogs affordable for us all !! Glass half full, IMHO ;)
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

An Optimist says the glass is half full.
The Pessimist says the glass is half empty.
The Engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Jim M.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jim,

Never heard that one before:
An Optimist says the glass is half full.
Knowing a few engineers, that one is hilarious. Thanks.
sdp6x6

Post by sdp6x6 »

Funny aftertalking to the site manager for the auctions it was mentioned that 2 importers are trying to scoop them all up nas they can't import them into the country. One dealer has been vocal about staying away from the headaches of these vehicles yet is most likely one of the ones trying to buy them.

Who is here for enjoyment and to promote the hobby and who is here for business.
Nothing wrong with a dealer trying to scoop them up but trying to dissuade potential hobbyist bidders is pretty unethical and sad as I know being in the pinz hobby I will have to deal with these fellows for parts.

While a new member here I've been on other pinz groups and just felt the need to post this out there.
sdp6x6

Post by sdp6x6 »

AZ712DK wrote:There was an Gov Liq auction a few months back that was posted and a novice bidder (in the community) got carried away and bid too much and was bidding against other dealers. No problem all is fair in love and war. What is not fair is that one person ran the auctions up on all the other trucks, eventually won one, did not have the funds to pay for the one he did win and the truck was relisted. Similar to the zero feedback bidders on ebay. The effect was to cause the other trucks go up in price by an average of $4K each. Total financial carniage in excess of $45K to other bidders. That is one prime example of why if a person cannot find it on their own they should not be in the game.
Well I bid on those trucks and bid up to my specific limit I wanted to spend on the truck based on their condition. I felt one was worth more than the other and bid according due to equipment and visual condition. I did not win any of the auctions and I was outbid only at the very end when I had reached my limit of spending( I was the second to last bid on both). I had cash at the ready to pay for the vehicles had I won and would have been happy to have gotten the vehicles.

People stop bashing the vehicles or the poster of the auctions. If you are interested in purchasing the vehicles bid on the auctions. I don't just think that dealer should just get them because they have more resources but if they want to pay what they bid then it is no additional cost to them and didn't cost them any money!!!
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Jimm391730 wrote:An Optimist says the glass is half full.

Jim M.
and the pinz owner says glass is empty... barkeep gimme another beer!
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Guys please quit reposting this topic. And please stop PM'ing me about it. I have no problems with Scott or anyone else involved in this matter. I just disagree with A few things since they were first posted. I never thought they would be cut into pieces like Scott And Dave D. said they would and it appears I was correct. I wasn't bitchng just disagreeing. I didn't see anything wrong with it. If you have problems with what I write Kiss it.

That being said you guys that are complaining about Scott. I would say stop as he probably runs the best business in the pinz Community.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I happen to hold a different opinion about the sales listings than Scott, but I second Eric here.

Scott runs a professional outfit. He's got more experience than a bunch of us put together, and we'd be wise to be thankful for the fact that he shares it with us, whether we agree with his opinions or not.

This forum has lost valuable members before, guys who were generous and helpful. That's a loss to us all. In the interest of everybody, let's try to respectfully disagree, and put this thread to bed.
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

Well I took the plunge and bought one of these 718 s I guess I will see how it goes. I know parts are high but if I am lucky maybe it will run a while with no breakdowns. I am using 6 wheelers now and putting about 100 miles a year on them. After about 10 years they are shot and are just throw aways. If I get 10 years and 1000 miles out of the Pintz I bet it will still have some sellable parts on it. I paid less than I pay for a 6 wheeler so I think it should work out ok in the end. I hope I did not upset too many people with my previous posts and if I did I appalagise to them. I am only here to get advice on Pitzs because I know for a fact that I know LESS about these vehicles than anyone else on this forum. Thanks Steve
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

totaljoint wrote:Unfortunate to see the attacks taking place on this subject in such an otherwise close knit and supportive community (that I'm proud to be part of). But after looking at the auction listings and reading everyones posts (rounding off the reported numbers), help me see if I understand this:........
So who is really the dammaged party here?
I submit it's all of us taxpayers.
Taxpayers for sure. I watch the waste up close and personal. Until our gov. decides to change it will continue.

Last year we purchased 15 Hemacool blood coolers from the government for on average $340. The government had purchased them from the manufacturer less than 2 years prior for $8600 each and had NEVER OPENED THE BOXES. At the time of surplus their were active tenders for the identical coolers. We sold the coolers back to the manufacturer, who did a "quality assessment" and sold them again. (I'm assuming back to the government.)

Take a look at this setup: http://www.expedition-imports.com/produ ... eries.html

Purchased from the manufacturer for a little under 100K. (3 complete kits) Requisition documents were still on the equipment. Surplussed 3 years later without use for $300 a kit.

I could go on and on. Until the masses are willing to make it change it will continue as status quo.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

sdp6x6 wrote:One dealer has been vocal about staying away from the headaches of these vehicles yet is most likely one of the ones trying to buy them. Nothing wrong with a dealer trying to scoop them up but trying to dissuade potential hobbyist bidders is pretty unethical

and sad as I know being in the pinz hobby I will have to deal with these fellows for parts.

While a new member here I've been on other pinz groups and just felt the need to post this out there.
So specifically, what did I say that you disagree with as to the vehicles? Every concern that I voiced would have been accepted as viable had it not been for the fact that I am also a dealer bidding on the trucks. I realize the pre-packaged sugar coating of having one of these clouds many peoples minds. Those that did take the step and purchase them will get the chance to report back. I spoke to one of the purchasers this afternoon when they called to price doors, tailgate, and windshield...."no sir, we don't have NOS body panels...."

As for bidding realities, while some might not like to admit what actually happens at auctions, you have your proof straight in the numbers. When people could not be civil and courteous to each other during the auctions the prices went 15-30% higher. Todays auctions had a number of individuals who extended courtesy and amazing...where were the prices? 15-30% cheaper than the previous auction.

It's always nice to be anonymous isn't it. Why don't you introduce yourself.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."