air compressor solution

All things not relating to the other forums.
audiocontr
United States of America

air compressor solution

Post by audiocontr »

I'm giving a lot of thought to an air compressor for tools and airing up the tires on my trucks. The 12v/24v air compressors work, but they take forever when airing up and i dont think they are strong enough to support an impact gun. Those which are seem to cost over $1200.

Other options are the gas powered versions which I've found several different price ranges, or adding a pulley driven system to my Ford F250.

Has anyone gone through this exercise before? Can someone recommend a decent model gas powered air compressor? The unit will see action maybe 2 or 3 times a month.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
totaljoint

Re: air compressor solution

Post by totaljoint »

Just bought a 10lb CO2 tank and regulator, total cost: $150.
Looked up the amount of work it can do (inflate tires quickly, run impact wrench etc..) on "Power Tank" and "The Source" web sites. It should do what ever I need it for, and run the kegorator to boot.!
Takes up little room and doesn't use up battery. Was highly reccomended to me by other Pinz and 4x4 owners. Lots of +'s and -'s to CO2 vs air vs nitrogen, so
we'll see how it works.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Where do you fill the tank when it empties and how much is it to fill?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Welding supply, fire extiquisher refill places, industrial gas places, etc..
Around here cost is $18.00/10lb. Depending on tire size, should fill
20-30, 33" tires. Best to gauge remaining co2 level by weight, since pressure won't drop until last minute. As long as it has liquid co2 in it, even a drop, it will maintain pressure (around 1500 psi.). My current kegorator 2.5 lb bottle lasts a year or so running cibntinuously two kegs (probably need to drink more beer).
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I wonder if that would work for an impact wrench as well
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Impact wrench:
1. use large diameter air hose to co2 tank.
2. 10lb co2 should last 20 min using 20second bursts fo wrench.
...according to their web site.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Have you looked at the largest viair package? $450 for the pump and tank. Difference is mobility I guess.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I used to carry a "blue tongue" (12 volt compressor) in my Pinny, but airing-up 6 tyres from 10+ psi took for ever! .... Everybody else on the trip was either gone or twiddling their fingers by the time I had all my tyres up to road pressure.
I was always on the look-out for a better alternative and looked at engine driven compressors's, very large 12 volt compressors (I think my mate in NSW got his from a military aircraft) etc, but eventually settled for a 5 hp petrol driven compressor. It is relatively compact and has a pancake style tank.....It's got a fairly small footprint, so it doesn't take up a lot of room in the back but it is great!
On trips nearly everbody uses it and I also carry a few air tools, including a rattle gun which speeds up tyre changes no end.
Definitely one of my better buys! :D
Last edited by Profpinz on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
wudog

Post by wudog »

Would you be able to provide model and make, or any info on that item. I'm very interested in it, maybe I can locate one on my base.

V/R David
USA, Love it or leave, stop bitching.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I'II take a few pics of the compressor and post ASAP.
Even though I'm in Australia and the particular Company that sold the compressors has gone broke I'm sure you'll be able to find a similar item locally, as it was most likely "sourced" from a Chinese compressor manufacturer's generic lineup.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I used a Powertank to run air tools and it worked great--this was for an air drill to assemble a shed. One 10 lb fill was all that was needed to accomplish this task--and that was a lot of drilling! I can't say what the usage would be for an air wrench, but I suspect it would be more. That being said, the CO2 tank has worked great for filling tires. A refill here is about $15 for 10 lbs. The only other expense is periodic hydro-testing, but that is about $20 every 5 years.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
Paul Gudmundson

Post by Paul Gudmundson »

you might want to check out Viair air compressors they make 24v ones cost about 350$. i have looked into them but i don't have one yet. just made a front winch bumper that is also a air tank for mine so when i do get one i'll be ready. there are a few differant models from ones that use tanks to portable tankless.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Paul Gudmundson wrote:you might want to check out Viair air compressors they make 24v ones cost about 350$. i have looked into them but i don't have one yet. just made a front winch bumper that is also a air tank for mine so when i do get one i'll be ready. there are a few differant models from ones that use tanks to portable tankless.

I am looking at a Viair 325C-24v. The 450C-24v is $100 more. Is the 325C sufficient? My tires are only 31".
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I use a Viair 450 and still went to the power tank. The power tanks run impact wrenches just fine. My 712 has a Thomas compressor and tank(waste unless you are running tools). Several guys run even the cheap harbor freight units and have decent results with them. It is all a matter of time. If it takes an extra 5 minutes to fill the tires, is it really that big of a deal? When it comes to the compressors it is more a matter of how much do you want to spend. More money would equate to more reliability and since using them to just air up the pinz tires it is not that big of a deal. Life expectancy of even the harbor freight units will be several years.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Last weekend we found an old upside down, nearly submerged, wrecked boat in the Snohomish river sloughs (at
least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!). Grabbed the 5lb co2 tank, air angle grinder and impact wrench and went back to harvest the bronze 12 inch prop. Was able to cut the shaft and pull the prop. Judging by weight, used about 3/4 the 5lb tank for the job. Spent about 5 minutes or so on the angle grinder and some more on the wrench. Was very surprised how long it lasted. Multi use air source!